Coronavirus Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Tiny Toons How I Spent My Summer Vacation is hilarious and deserves more love. I still quote line from it, including confusing my Dragon boat team when I broke into Babs' "Veal Parmigiana" song while paddling once. (They just assumed I was hungry. They were half right.)
Sometimes when taking a picture I still mumble "meh, mllm, eh, brllbm.. meh, uh... cheese" like the parking lot attendant they got to take their picture in the parking lot at the amusement park.

One of my favorite memories of my youth was pulling out the sofa mattress in the living room, laying with my favorite sheets and a game gear, and watching the Tiny Toons movie about summer vacation. It was one of the most relaxing days of my life.
“There’s nothing like a clean rest room.“
“I could never eat a guy who plays his face!”
I still have that on VHS, assuming it still plays.

—Patrick

So here in Taiwan, the news over the last few days is that a guy from Belgium tested positive for the virus. This breaks a several-months-long streak of only imported cases from abroad, no local infections.

Here's the awkward part: This guy hasn't been outside of Taiwan in the last two months. He reported losing his sense of smell all the way back in March, when he was in Belgium, but because a loss of the sense of smell wasn't known as a possible symptom at the time, he didn't get tested for the coronavirus. However, given what we know now and a description of his symptoms at the time, it sounds likely that he was sick with the coronavirus in March.

So this leads to one of three possible conclusions, none of them good. Firstly, he was infected in March and still hasn't recovered in July, which means the virus can last a lot longer than we previously thought. Secondly, he was infected in March, recovered, and then was somehow re-infected, which means your antibodies can't protect you against re-infection, which would have significant implications vis-a-vis reopening and vaccines. Thirdly, which is the most plausible yet also the most alarming possibility, he wasn't infected with the coronavirus in March, and in fact was infected for the first time in Taiwan during the last few weeks, which means there's a source of local infections in Taiwan that the government has missed. Given that Taiwan's pandemic response has basically boiled down to "track everyone and make sure no one's sick", this is disheartening.

Oh, also, this Belgian guy apparently lives and works in my area.

Dave

Staff member
Head coach of the Eagles just got a positive test for corona. Just close down the damned season already.

So here in Taiwan, the news over the last few days is that a guy from Belgium tested positive for the virus. This breaks a several-months-long streak of only imported cases from abroad, no local infections.

Here's the awkward part: This guy hasn't been outside of Taiwan in the last two months. He reported losing his sense of smell all the way back in March, when he was in Belgium, but because a loss of the sense of smell wasn't known as a possible symptom at the time, he didn't get tested for the coronavirus. However, given what we know now and a description of his symptoms at the time, it sounds likely that he was sick with the coronavirus in March.

So this leads to one of three possible conclusions, none of them good. Firstly, he was infected in March and still hasn't recovered in July, which means the virus can last a lot longer than we previously thought. Secondly, he was infected in March, recovered, and then was somehow re-infected, which means your antibodies can't protect you against re-infection, which would have significant implications vis-a-vis reopening and vaccines. Thirdly, which is the most plausible yet also the most alarming possibility, he wasn't infected with the coronavirus in March, and in fact was infected for the first time in Taiwan during the last few weeks, which means there's a source of local infections in Taiwan that the government has missed. Given that Taiwan's pandemic response has basically boiled down to "track everyone and make sure no one's sick", this is disheartening.

Oh, also, this Belgian guy apparently lives and works in my area.
Look, you're the one who's been saying your place of work and home are filled with beautiful women for years now. What do you expect me to do, not come look for myself?

Look, you're the one who's been saying your place of work and home are filled with beautiful women for years now. What do you expect me to do, not come look for myself?
I expect you to not bring a virus!

Also, aren't you getting married, like, tomorrow? Does your missus know you're here?

Also, those coworkers really are quite hot, aren't they.

We just got the over 80 slides that lay out the school plans for the year. It's huge, and complex, and only verifies that there's no fucking way I'm sending my kid into a school this year.

I am a little nervous because my family and I decided to go ahead with some vacation plans we had for ages. My poor kids have been cooped up for months and miss their friends and going places, so we decided not to cancel a beach trip we made earlier this year.

The plan right now is to head to the beach very early in the morning or later in the day, when very few people are out, and keep heavy distance from any other people that do show up. When not at the beach we will just play board games or watch movies at the apartment we rented. It still has me a bit anxious though as the area we are heading is a known hotbed right now and it's hard to trust other people to keep distance, but I need to try to give my kids something to not feel sad, and they both love the beach. I might have to just be the triple mask wearing dad that plays defensive blocking in the sand to keep people at bay while my kids play.

Dave

Staff member
Just found out I have had contact with someone who had contact with someone who tested positive. So I have to get tested tomorrow at 9 am. Neither of the other people wore masks even though I was.

If I get it and die I'm haunting the FUCK out of those people.

Just found out I have had contact with someone who had contact with someone who tested positive. So I have to get tested tomorrow at 9 am. Neither of the other people wore masks even though I was.

If I get it and die I'm haunting the FUCK out of those people.
That’s the only time it sucks being an atheist- “yall better fucking hope im right!!”

Apropos of nothing, i cant believe this thread started on fucking March 11
3/11 is the new 9/11.

Also...

Twenty years ago, the entire WORLD had our back, held our hand, and bought us drinks as we mourned the loss of 3000 in a single day. But now they look at Uncle Sam as a washed-up, has-been, incontinent celebrity living out his last days with dementia in a nursing home.

—Patrick

Dave

Staff member
Ever since I learned about the possibility, my mind and body are going into overdrive. "I lost my breath walking quickly up the stairs! Is that normal? Is it because I'm fat & out of shape? IS IT THE 'RONA?!? *cough* OH FUCK! Did I swallow wrong or....?"

Soon as my tutoring is done tonight I think I'm going to do the unthinkable and take an edible to help me calm down.

Ever since I learned about the possibility, my mind and body are going into overdrive. "I lost my breath walking quickly up the stairs! Is that normal? Is it because I'm fat & out of shape? IS IT THE 'RONA?!? *cough* OH FUCK! Did I swallow wrong or....?"

Soon as my tutoring is done tonight I think I'm going to do the unthinkable and take an edible to help me calm down.
When I cough, I found it helpful to try and remember how long it has been since the last time I coughed. Then I remember that I've coughed 3 times or some such in the last few days, and stop worrying about it.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, but this is like when you find a bug crawling on you. Suddenly you feel them everywhere whether they are there or not.

Same thing. Brains suck. Story at 11.

When my gf was in the hospital during flu season the hospital wouldn't allow visitors unless they had their flu shot or wore a mask.

GasBandit

Staff member
I just found out that my city has decided to postpone opening schools!

... for 3 days. Aug 20th instead of the 17th.

Well, I'm sure that will give us the time we need to get all this cleared up.