[Gaming] Dead Island : Awesomeness has arrived (shitty release though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only complaint so far is the console oriented inventory. Managing my inventory with kb and mouse feels like a pain, and unintuitive.

I hope that can be improved in a patch.

My complaints thus far:

Horrible launch... that should have clued me in as to what to expect.

The game tries to take itself seriously as a serious survival game, but the gameplay is almost arcade style. Zombies respawn, items respawn, etc... If you want to make it serious and suspenseful add more zombies; make them slower and let them stay dead.

The weapon damage/repair - even with the skills to reduce the damage, I hate how a friggin wrench "gets damaged" in 10-20 swings. While some have argued this makes the game more intense, I feel it cheapens it. I want to kill fucking zombies in a zombie game. I don't want to conserve my swings. I can understand wooden blunt objects, but a rusty pipe ain't getting broken against flesh no matter how many times you club a zombie.

Speaking of repair and mods. Who the fuck decided on using money as currency to make repairs at a workbench? Who am I paying for these repairs? God? Moses? The Easter bunny? Thus far I've barely used any of the 'scrap' items that I've been picking up - you know, actual shit you'd use to cobble your weapon back into shape. What would be cool is if you could mod weapons without blueprints and combine shit together i.e. a baseball bat + duct tape + butcher knife = makeshift axe. No, instead I've spent at least 10k sharpening knives and making a ripper. Why are the guys who trade stuff still using money? Wouldn't it make more sense for a type of bartering system? Why are there merchants to begin with? All shit breaks loose and magically these assholes have all these useful items down their pants?

One of the fury attacks has the character pull out a gun? Why can't I just use this damn gun the whole time? Where did it come from - my ass?

The driving is horrible, and barely useful due to the "fast travel" system. You can only drive on the roads to make use of it. What's the point? Why not just have a trolly system where you hop in a car and it fast travels you to a point on the map.

The AI is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. I figured out how to kill zombies, without a scratch on me, no matter how many are running towards me. Kick everyone of them down (they can't block or avoid your kick), proceed to bash all of them in the head. You do this the entire game... The entire game! The only challenge are the super-zombies. Thugs are no problem, either go around them or just throw shit at them. Every time you chuck a pipe at a Thug he gets pissed and roars. Go pick up your pipe and repeat.

Oh yeah, the zombies only ever attack you. They completely avoid all other AI survivors... /facepalm

The voice acting is horrible. How many times do I have to endure my guy saying "what the fuck is wrong with you" and "what the hell is happening"? I love how he has a total of like three lines.

I like push to talk voice; not this auto voice crap. I don't need people hearing my wife nagging at me, and kids playing in the background.

I'm so pissed off that I bought this piece of shit.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Those do actually sound like things I wouldn't like.

How bad is the zombie respawning? Is it Dead Rising "when you leave and come back" or is it Left 4 Dead "I just cleared out an entire doorless, windowless, ductless 2nd-floor room and a shit-ton of zombies just came running out of it when my back was turned"?

Those do actually sound like things I wouldn't like.

How bad is the zombie respawning? Is it Dead Rising "when you leave and come back" or is it Left 4 Dead "I just cleared out an entire doorless, windowless, ductless 2nd-floor room and a shit-ton of zombies just came running out of it when my back was turned"?
It's "get into a safe zone and talk to a quest giver, and everything is the way you left it outside" type of respawn.

Why are the guys who trade stuff still using money? Wouldn't it make more sense for a type of bartering system? Why are there merchants to begin with? All shit breaks loose and magically these assholes have all these useful items down their pants?
This one makes perfect sense actually. They are still using money because they still have hope they will be rescued or that someone will find a way off the island. So they are getting money so they can buy a ticket off the island and/or be fucking rich once they leave. It's purely greed/survival oriented.

As for why you need money to repair items? Fuck if I know. They should have just put in less money and made it purely for buying stuff off traders. Using money to repair weapons is kinda dumb if your not explicitly using it buy parts to fix it or paying someone else to do the job.

The Vendor at the lighthouse acutally say that after the whole thing is done,he will be sitting pretty with the money he will have made.

The game tries to take itself seriously as a serious survival game, but the gameplay is almost arcade style. Zombies respawn, items respawn, etc... If you want to make it serious and suspenseful add more zombies; make them slower and let them stay dead.
Because there's a leveling system, an item upgrade system, and it's multiplayer. If there was a set number of finite zombies, the game would be "finished" ridiculously fast and be boring beyond belief. It's actually MORE realistic to realize that zombies move from area to area, and just because you cleared out an area an hour ago, doesn't mean more would shuffle their way there soon after.

The weapon damage/repair - even with the skills to reduce the damage, I hate how a friggin wrench "gets damaged" in 10-20 swings. While some have argued this makes the game more intense, I feel it cheapens it. I want to kill fucking zombies in a zombie game. I don't want to conserve my swings. I can understand wooden blunt objects, but a rusty pipe ain't getting broken against flesh no matter how many times you club a zombie.
It ain't just flesh you're hitting. The complains you have about this game is that it's not L4D. Oranges to apples.

Speaking of repair and mods. Who the fuck decided on using money as currency to make repairs at a workbench? Who am I paying for these repairs? God? Moses? The Easter bunny? Thus far I've barely used any of the 'scrap' items that I've been picking up - you know, actual shit you'd use to cobble your weapon back into shape. What would be cool is if you could mod weapons without blueprints and combine shit together i.e. a baseball bat + duct tape + butcher knife = makeshift axe. No, instead I've spent at least 10k sharpening knives and making a ripper. Why are the guys who trade stuff still using money? Wouldn't it make more sense for a type of bartering system? Why are there merchants to begin with? All shit breaks loose and magically these assholes have all these useful items down their pants?
This infection is only known to be on the island, there's still an entire world out there that's functioning just fine on money. There will ALWAYS be greedy bastards hording real money in the hopes they're going to get off the island and be rich as all hell. So yeah, it makes perfect sense.

One of the fury attacks has the character pull out a gun? Why can't I just use this damn gun the whole time? Where did it come from - my ass?
I'm going to agree with you completely on this one, especially since Purna is my favorite character. I'm pretty disappointed in it.

The driving is horrible, and barely useful due to the "fast travel" system. You can only drive on the roads to make use of it. What's the point? Why not just have a trolly system where you hop in a car and it fast travels you to a point on the map.
Back to disagreeing with you again. The fast travel system is ONLY in place once you've ALREADY discovered the area with the hub. The trucks are fantastic because they let you get around the island, to undiscovered parts, quickly and efficiently. It's a perfect system.

The AI is TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. I figured out how to kill zombies, without a scratch on me, no matter how many are running towards me. Kick everyone of them down (they can't block or avoid your kick), proceed to bash all of them in the head. You do this the entire game... The entire game! The only challenge are the super-zombies. Thugs are no problem, either go around them or just throw shit at them. Every time you chuck a pipe at a Thug he gets pissed and roars. Go pick up your pipe and repeat.
I'm very much guessing you didn't get very far into this game. You're complaining about shuffling zombies acting dumb? That IS what the AI is supposed to do. As for your claim that you can take out 5+ zombies with just kicks and head bashes? I know for a fact that isn't true because there is a CD on the kick of about .5 seconds, all in which the other 4 zombies, then 3 zombies then 2 zombies are tearing your shit up. The fact that you can 1v1 or 2v1 zombies with ease is meant to be the gameplay because that's the way the zombie genre is set up. As for how I know you didn't get very far in the game, the further you go, even COMMON zombies cannot be kicked down with one kick, you really start having to fight for your life.

Oh yeah, the zombies only ever attack you. They completely avoid all other AI survivors... /facepalm
Again, no idea what you're talking about, I've had my quests fail due to zombies eating my follower.

The voice acting is horrible. How many times do I have to endure my guy saying "what the fuck is wrong with you" and "what the hell is happening"? I love how he has a total of like three lines.
Agreed here, there's a terrible lack of dialogue that I hope is worked on with future DLC.

I like push to talk voice; not this auto voice crap. I don't need people hearing my wife nagging at me, and kids playing in the background.
Again, I'm with you here. Even though my mic/headset doesn't work right now due to no support being available for 7.1, I was at my brother's place and everytime I talked to him as he was playing, it would broadcast to the server. Here's hoping they change that in a patch.

I'm so pissed off that I bought this piece of shit.
Sounds to me like you either gave up too soon before the real game even began, or it's just not your style of game. Calling it a piece of shit? That's not exactly an "opinion" based on fact.

It ain't just flesh you're hitting. The complains you have about this game is that it's not L4D. Oranges to apples.
I have to agree. Pipes bend, blades dull and warp, and maces get cracked. It's not unusual that you'd need to fix them after using them so much. If anything, L4D is guilty of making melee weapons too OP by making them invincible.

I'm going to agree with you completely on this one, especially since Purna is my favorite character. I'm pretty disappointed in it.
The best explanation I've been able to come up with is that Purna's revolver might be in some obscure or uncommon ammo type, so she might be "finding" these extra rounds between her fury uses. It's ether that or she doesn't use her gun all the time because it's loud and would attract a lot more attention than the wussy .38s and 9mms you find.

This does nothing to explain why Logan doesn't use his throwing knives all the time. Hell, they are re-useable unlike Purna's revolver, so he doesn't even have the ammo excuse. It's kinda sad that these are the only two furys worth a damn.

Every game reviewer out there is pretty much agreeing with I'm talking about. The game sucks. If you enjoy it, then bully for you. I, however, feel I got ripped off of 50 bucks.

I forgot to mention that the graphics are very dated. Feels like I'm back in college playing some Half Life.

for what it's worth, i also agree with you. I've played around 5-6 hours and i've already moved on to another game

Yeah, this game makes me wish I could play Left 4 Dead 2.

I haven't played it at all; I just hear everyone's killing zombies and that's how I'd like to be doing it. :/

The game's "tutorial" areas pretty much take about 5-6hrs so yeah, seems like all those "reviewers" didn't bother getting past the "start" of other game before deciding to bash on it. Points have been rebuked and yet still no response to that. Point pretty much stands as opinion. Not to mention alot of the "gripes" I hear are about the game not being somethingelse entirely "not arcade enough". It's exactly what it's trying to be. A survival horror game. It does it beautifully.

As for graphics?

Totally the same. :rolleyes:

i find it boring even tho i really try to like it. That's all there is to it. I'm not one to try and change what people think about the game because in the end, i don't give a damn.... I just find it bland.

Well yeah, you played 1/10th of the game, it hasn't "kicked off" yet. It is your opinion to have though, I'm just saying you can't judge an entire product based of it's beginning.

I don't know why you're being so defensive about it. It's just a game. It just seems like you're trying to justify your purchase by hoping that it gets better. The initial parts of a game should outline what it's going to be like through-out. So, yeah, you can and should judge a game based on the first half of it. I mean really, whens it supposed to get good? It's pretty boring right from the get go. The second half in the sewers is drab and boring. When's it pick up? To me, investing 10 hours into a game to enjoy it is kinda stupid.

The graphics are bad. They remind me a lot of the Pirates of the Burning Seas MMO back from 2006.
Added at: 21:30
i find it boring even tho i really try to like it. That's all there is to it. I'm not one to try and change what people think about the game because in the end, i don't give a damn.... I just find it bland.
Same. It's massively over-rated. The only reason it sold as well as it did was due to a kick-ass trailer that set up for a much darker, much more serious survival game; not a quest and repeat arcade style RPG.

No opinion on Dead Island yet (waiting on it from Gamefly), but I gotta agree - 5-6 hours for a shooter-hybrid to become fun is either poor design or a complete genre-player mismatch.

I don't know why you're being so defensive about it. It's just a game. It just seems like you're trying to justify your purchase by hoping that it gets better.
Or why you're constantly replying even though your points have been put down multiple times. I don't have to justify why a good game is good, just why your points are false.

The initial parts of a game should outline what it's going to be like through-out. So, yeah, you can and should judge a game based on the first half of it. I mean really, whens it supposed to get good? It's pretty boring right from the get go. The second half in the sewers is drab and boring. When's it pick up? To me, investing 10 hours into a game to enjoy it is kinda stupid.
It's just striking me as you're an instant gratification gamer, if so, you're right, DI isn't for you. No worries.

The graphics are bad. They remind me a lot of the Pirates of the Burning Seas MMO back from 2006.

vs

Fail comparisons are fail.

Same. It's massively over-rated. The only reason it sold as well as it did was due to a kick-ass trailer that set up for a much darker, much more serious survival game; not a quest and repeat arcade style RPG.
You keep saying arcade, except the game you're looking for is arcade and this isn't it. I think you've got you analogies are backwards. The only reason it sold? No. The reason it got hyped? Yes. The gameplay vids are what got it sold. How you were able to watch those and still be shocked at what you found is just beyond me.

I don't know why you're being so defensive about it. It's just a game. It just seems like you're trying to justify your purchase by hoping that it gets better. The initial parts of a game should outline what it's going to be like through-out. So, yeah, you can and should judge a game based on the first half of it. I mean really, whens it supposed to get good? It's pretty boring right from the get go. The second half in the sewers is drab and boring. When's it pick up? To me, investing 10 hours into a game to enjoy it is kinda stupid.

Added at: 21:30

While I enjoy the game, I can see your side of things for all of your points, where it's a matter of difference in taste. But the graphics? They look pretty good to me. The island is fucking gorgeous, and the zombies are gnarly.

Put me in the camp of "not too impressed" so far with this game. I'm not very far in though so maybe it will change as it progresses. I'll keep playing just to give it a fair shake but so far it's not been all that great for me.

The weapon durability in particular drives me nuts. Oars, paddles, broomhandles.... yes, these things will break fairly easily bashing zombies repeatedly. Heavy steel pipes? Crowbars? Wrenches? You're not going to wear out a crowbar by busting skulls... and a fire axe would last for a staggering amount of time chopping into nothing but flesh and bone. Not like the 30-40 swings you get now. Annoying.

Personally the graphics are fine and the ambience is great but I also hate how the areas completely respawn with zombies in the exact same places everytime (if it randomly repopulated places that would be better).

Only time will tell how this plays out. I just finished Deus Ex Human Revolution which I felt was outstanding... so maybe I'm just still reveling in that.

Every game reviewer out there is pretty much agreeing with I'm talking about. The game sucks.
Actually, the scores seem to be everywhere for Dead Island. It's averaging around 73 on Metacritic (and I absolutely HATE using Metacritic as a source). Their really is no consensus on the game yet, probably because of the buggy launch. If anything, the word of mouth I'm hearing basically boils down to "If you like killing zombies, you'll like Dead Island."

Shock mod applied on blue machete on Xian? Best 2 hours of the week just happened.

Good times. :)
I just put an "Old Smokey" mod on my Military Machete and it's turned into the most brutal and ugly thing I've ever seen. Despite the name, it's a shock mod and it's destroying everything I come across. Makes me wonder what it'll look like on my Wakazashi.

I am gonna hold off on my vote for this game untill they fix Co-Op.I get weird stuttering when I play it Online.Have to switch to single player mode,for it to run smoothly.

Alright, I just finished the game... just a few quick things.

- The story goes absolutely formulaic once you hit the jungle. I'd almost call that entire portion a parody of zombie horror games if they didn't play it so straight.
- There is clearly a whole dimension of this story that we're not getting. I'm hoping the upcoming Ryder White DLC Campaign answers some of the questions about what happens during certain parts of the game.
- I can't help but feel that they've maybe cut out some content in this. There are certain parts that you'd think would be playable that the game seems to skip over. Maybe they were cut to get the game out on time?
- They inserted an obvious sequel hook in the ending.
- There IS a New Game Plus mode once you beat the game.
- The boss is ridiculously easy. It was Borderlands all over again.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but it's still got some issues. All I need to do now is gather and sacrifice the remaining skulls and a few more achievements.

I once had an umbrella with that exact same pattern. I shit you not.

I was the only person around who was a gamer though, so no one else recognized the pattern or got the reference. It sucked big time.

Sigh...the infected annoy me with their freaking Windmill punches. I can easily take Thugs,Rams and everyone else but Infected kill ne.especially if I play solo and they run up from some alley behind me.

Sigh...the infected annoy me with their freaking Windmill punches. I can easily take Thugs,Rams and everyone else but Infected kill ne.especially if I play solo and they run up from some alley behind me.
Yeah, this is a problem. Unless you see them coming, they are always going to take at least 3 blocks off your health with that move and they rarely travel alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.