Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

There have been times, when I've experienced the torture of having to go badly enough but being forced to wait, when I thought I could actually see five urinals.

--Patrick

There have been times, when I've experienced the torture of having to go badly enough but being forced to wait, when I thought I could actually see five urinals.
Because they were standing wide and you couldn't fit in, or because it's "too close"?

For a gender that takes great pride in whipping it out at a moment's notice to pee anywhere (outdoors, empty water bottles, walls, etc.), there is an awful lot of nonsense about standing too close at urinals.

Because they were standing wide and you couldn't fit in, or because it's "too close"?

For a gender that takes great pride in whipping it out at a moment's notice to pee anywhere (outdoors, empty water bottles, walls, etc.), there is an awful lot of nonsense about standing too close at urinals.
I don't even use urinals. I'll use a stall like a civilized person

GasBandit

Staff member

It's part of rule #2.

1597704167941.png

And all these make sense, aside from #2. With the understandable problem if someone is failing at #7, a buffer for what? Now, I can also understand if the urinals are close together and you don't want to bump someone's arm, leading to #7. If it's busy or there's not enough urinals for a buffer, it makes no sense.

And all these make sense, aside from #2. With the understandable problem if someone is failing at #7, a buffer for what? Now, I can also understand if the urinals are close together and you don't want to bump someone's arm, leading to #7. If it's busy or there's not enough urinals for a buffer, it makes no sense.
For guys, it's the whole "You're close enough to stare directly at my penis, back off!" thing.

Dave Barry described the issue thusly in Dave Barry's Guide to Guys:

So in the ideal guy rest room, the urinals would be located a minimum of fifty feet apart. Unfortunately, in the real world, they're right next to each other, which means the guy often must make split-second strategic urinal decisions. To illustrate this process, let's imagine a public rest room in an airport. Let's assume the rest room has a row of five urinals, which are represented as rectangles in the following scientific diagram:

1597712408337.png

Let's further assume that nobody is in the room when Guy A walks in. He is almost always going to choose on of the end urinals-- either no. 1 or no. 5--because he knows this will put him as far as possible from the next guy who comes along. Let's say Guy A chooses urinal no. 5, which means our situation is now this:

1597712430278.png

When Guy B walks in, he will ALWAYS take no.1. He would never, ever, in a billion years, take no. 4. To do such a thing would cause Guy A to become alarmed to the point where he might zip up his fly so fast that he risks wetting his pants and possibly even injuring his manhood, rather than remain there. But Guy B will always take the far urinal; he may be a decent, secure, open-minded, nonjudgmental person with absolutely no prejudice whatsoever toward gay people, but he nevertheless would rather poke both of his eyeballs out than have Guy A think that he IS one. So he will go to the other end. If the line of urinals were a mile long, Guy B might very well choose to hike the entire distance, even if this meant he would miss his plane.

So now the situation is this:

1597712449892.png

When Guy C comes in, he will clearly choose urinal no.3. He is not crazy about it, but he still has a one-urinal buffer on each side:

1597712559907.png

But now in comes Guy D, and HE has a real guy problem, because whatever urinal he picks, he'll be right next to two other guys. This is very upsetting. Some guys in this situation will choose to pee in an enclosed stall, or wait until there's a buffered urinal available, or go way off to the side and pee against the wall, as follows:

1597712573918.png

If Guy D DOES go to one of the available urinals--say no.2.-- he and guys B and C will all stand rigid, staring intently straight ahead, as though the wall tiles were inscribed with a secret formula for turning Grape Nuts into platinum. "DEATH BEFORE EYE CONTACT," this is the motto of a guy at a public urinal.

I realize that you women out there think I'm making all this up. But ask the guy in your life to read this section, and I bet he'll nod in recognition. He's been there, and he knows the behavior I'm describing. But he has never felt comfortable about discussing this subject with you, because this is an extremely sensitive area for him. Also he knows it's stupid.

Last edited:
Not I. I have to have a completely enclosed toilet with ample toilet paper, a sink with soap, and something to dry my hands with afterwards or it's a no go.

Dave Barry described the issue thusly in Dave Barry's Guide to Guys:
Not a single word of that is false. Though if the bathroom is empty you always go to the one farthest from the sinks (if there is no divider between the urinals and the sinks).

The one place this doesn't hold up is at the Bills' stadium where instead of urinals, we have a trough, and you've already given up the right to feel shame.

Not a single word of that is false. Though if the bathroom is empty you always go to the one farthest from the sinks (if there is no divider between the urinals and the sinks).

The one place this doesn't hold up is at the Bills' stadium where instead of urinals, we have a trough, and you've already given up the right to feel shame.
True, you're already a Bill's fan.

Standing too close at urinals threatens our fragile masculinity. Which doesn't make your point wrong. But in our defence anything that stops us whipping it out in front of random strangers is probably a good thing.

I've been programming for probably 20 years now, and it never ceases to amaze me how incredibly unhelpful the community is, to the point where I don't actually try to answer people's questions because I know it will be followed by a "Well, actually" and then me telling someone to go fuck themselves, which is apparently frowned upon in the open source community.

To be clear, this is, like so many things, just online. Ask someone a question in person, and most of the time they just try to be helpful.