Funny Pictures Thread. It begins again

This happened at a breakfast/brunch restaurant my wife and I went to last weekend. They had the waitstaff going around taking orders, and the waitresses were obviously very unaccustomed to writing down orders onto paper because they did it really slowly and had to ask people to repeat their orders multiple times.

Aside from that little glitch, though, the restaurant was good. Their avocado eggs benedict was particularly memorable.
1724807862541.jpg

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
My son sent me a text with this picture.

2024-08-28 07.33.40.jpg

Found a dead gecko at work. He could save me 15% on my car insurance but he couldn't save himself.

GasBandit

Staff member
B̴̠̠̖͚̻̎̓̓̽̎r̸͎̩̥̲̥͊̔́ǫ̷̣̯͙̱̩͕̂̇͑ț̴̢͚̆h̷̛͎̍ê̵͈͊͌̓̇r̶̨͋̌͐͂͌̍
̴̧͉͍̫͉̤̩̑̇͘͠
̶̧͉͓͓̞̻̔̎͗̍͒͘͝B̶̢͔̥̽́e̷̤̣̩͖̺̋̊̒ͅr̸̛̬̗̉̀̌͗̊͝e̴̛̛͇̹͇͌̄f̵̣͙͐͂ţ̴͍̣̼̒͂ ̸͈̙̺͘o̶̳̍̍͐ͅf̴̛̛͔͕͎̑̓͝ ̸̺͎̩͊̊̊͘͘l̸̺̯̠̫̮̖͔̔̍̄̇͋î̵̡̞͖͎͙͕̹f̷̨̖̥̱͓͒̀̇͋͘e̶̛̠͓̾̏̏̋̕͝
̸̬̙̫͇̼̄͒̆̿̆̚̕
̶̬̰͎̜̝̔́͑͒͗͝I̷͕̊̕͝ ̸͙̲̣͈͈̰̎s̶̝̱̄͊̇͗͂̈t̸̮̦̹̯̭͒̈́͊̋̒͑͆ḭ̴̏̋̑̄l̵̫̪̀̈́̔l̸̡̦̫̤̹̟͒͌̿ ̸̡̰̲͍̟͊͒͛̀͂̇͌C̷̡̜͇̬͐̉̈́̀̍̓̍͜L̸̙̘̆̃̌͜I̴͈͂N̵̢͐́͒́̓̂̀Ǧ̵̢͓͕̯͚̪̙̽
̵͔͋́͐͝͠
̶̨̝̘̩͓͕͛͗̌̚͘ͅw̶̜̝̗͗̾i̴̜̍͑̇t̷̯̹̖̓̃̅̌̎̔n̸̢̺̤̒̈́̋͗̾͝e̴̡͍͔͔͎͊̌̌̽ͅs̴̲͚̩̲̩̐̎̏̈́ş̵̧̲͎̦̬̪̑̋̇̿̌̚ ̶̰̘̹̩̥͛̋̀͜m̸͖̭̺̯̺̦͌̓͆ͅe̵̡̢͇̹̒́

figmentPez

Staff member
I think I've shared this theory before, but I think that if we compare computers and information to agriculture and crops, we're mostly using the equivalent of hand tools right now. Big businesses are using plows. It could be that when history looks back people will think that we don't even have the equivalent of the cotton gin yet. The general public definitely doesn't have access to roto-tillers, or tractor trailers with automated bailing machines.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I've shared this theory before, but I think that if we compare computers and information to agriculture and crops, we're mostly using the equivalent of hand tools right now. Big businesses are using plows. It could be that when history looks back people will think that we don't even have the equivalent of the cotton gin yet. The general public definitely doesn't have access to roto-tillers, or tractor trailers with automated bailing machines.
(slowly, quietly uses his foot to nudge a folder full of thousands of serialized image jpgs that all start with "AI-Redhead-*" under the desk....)

1724864617492.png

The general public definitely doesn't have access to roto-tillers, or tractor trailers with automated bailing machines.
I don't think this analogy works, because the general public does have access. As I've gotten deeper into the hobby of video game rom archival and collection, I've had to learn how to use databases and various archival programs as my collection rose from tens to hundreds to thousands. With all of these files now appropriately named, bundled, and synced across devices. And all of this was freely available to obtain and learn how to use.

So to continue the previous analogy, it isn't that the general public doesn't have access to tillers, it's that most of the population just aren't farmers.

So ever since a hurricane rolled through here a few weeks ago, the main road out of my little rural Florida area has been flooded. The road is closed, but luckily my truck is tall enough to drive through the small section to get to the connecting road.

But guess what I found stuck and abandoned there today...
IMG_20240830_154122.jpg

the cybertruck is so goddamned stupid looking.

It galls me how many have sold. It's like social signaling for cult membership or something. Like proving that you're a loyal follower by doing the stupidest goddamn thing imaginable. I weep for humanity.

figmentPez

Staff member
I don't think this analogy works, because the general public does have access. As I've gotten deeper into the hobby of video game rom archival and collection, I've had to learn how to use databases and various archival programs as my collection rose from tens to hundreds to thousands. With all of these files now appropriately named, bundled, and synced across devices. And all of this was freely available to obtain and learn how to use.

So to continue the previous analogy, it isn't that the general public doesn't have access to tillers, it's that most of the population just aren't farmers.
You misunderstand me, I'm saying ALL of those tools that you're talking about are comparable to oxen pulling plows, earthen irrigation channels, and other early agriculture devices, compared to what will actually be the industrial revolution of information handling. Those database and archive programs shove data around real fast, but so does an ox and a steel plow blade compared to a wood and stone hoe.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
Tried to buy Sudafed today, can confirm.

"I need Sudafed."

"Which one?"

"The 24-hour one."

"We don't have it, we've been trying but we can't get it in."

"12 hour?" I ask, already wondering if I should follow through or go across the street to the other drugstore, but I need to get home ASAP.

"Ok, we have that."

"Alright, well, since you don't have the 24 hour one, I'll take two of the 12 hour ones."

"You can only buy one box at a time."

I stifle the urge to point out how stupid this is because I know it's a politics/law thing they have no control over.

"Fine. One box then please."

"Driver's license please?"

I provide my driver's license for them to scan so they know who's cooking meth from half-strength sudafed.

"Sorry, the transaction was blocked because of how much sudafed you've purchased recently."

"I haven't bought any sudafed since february."

The pharmacist hands me a receipt that gives me a website and a transaction number to "get more information." I brace myself knowing that this is performative service and won't actually help me get the sudafed, but rather just absolve the pharmacist of doing any work. To humor the idiocy of the situation, I go to the website on my phone, put in the transaction number and my name, and get an error message that says transaction history cannot be generated.

"Huh. That's odd." says the pharmacist. I am not surprised. Working in the tech industry, I am acutely aware that nothing works anywhere anymore because nothing ever works and everything is a struggle (for details, see my published works).

A guilty gleam appears in the pharmacists eye, and she suggests we try the transaction again on the "other" register. We do so. It goes through with no issue whatsoever.

Every single trip to the pharmacy has been like this for the last 2 years at least. Nobody there seems to know what they're doing or even wants to know what it is they are supposed to be doing. And that's just for "behind the counter" OTC stuff. God help me if I actually need to get a prescription filled.

Last edited:

"I need Sudafed."

"Which one?"

"The 24-hour one."

"12 hour?" I ask, already wondering if I should follow through or go across the street to the other drugstore, but I need to get home ASAP.

"Ok, we have that."

"Alright, well, since you don't have the 24 hour one, I'll take two of the 12 hour ones."

I stifle the urge to point out how stupid this is because I know it's a politics/law thing they have no control over.

I provide my driver's license for them to scan so they know who's cooking meth from half-strength sudafed.

"Sorry, the transaction was blocked because of how much sudafed you've purchased recently."

The pharmacist hands me a receipt that gives me a website and a transaction number to "get more information." I brace myself knowing that this is performative service and won't actually help me get the sudafed, but rather just absolve the pharmacist of doing any work. To humor the idiocy of the situation, I go to the website on my phone, put in the transaction number and my name, and get an error message that says transaction history cannot be generated.

"Huh. That's odd." says the pharmacist. I am not surprised. Working in the tech industry, I am acutely aware that nothing works anywhere anymore because nothing ever works and everything is a struggle (for details, see my published works).

A guilty gleam appears in the pharmacists eye, and she suggests we try the transaction again on the "other" register. We do so. It goes through with no issue whatsoever.

Every single trip to the pharmacy has been like this for the last 2 years at least. Nobody there seems to know what they're doing or even wants to know what it is they are supposed to be doing. And that's just for "behind the counter" OTC stuff. God help me if I actually need to get a prescription filled.
That would be filled and handed over quickly, doesn’t even matter if you’re picking up a narcotic for your wife because you know her birthdate. This is my experience.

"I need Sudafed."

"Which one?"

"The 24-hour one."

"Ok, we have that."

Not so fun fact: there are services that you can hire now (ether as a monthly sub or per a call/bundle of calls) that will deal with ALL of these pharmacy call problems and they are apparently pretty profitable (probably because it's all outsourced call center labor). I wouldn't be surprised if we see some legislation soon about all this shit, especially since the Dems want to do that "Press 1 button to talk to a human" legislation.