Games on SALE!

FarCry 2 was engaging enough to stick it out to the end. Though it was pretty repetitive, yeah.

The only Farcry game that has made me want to stop playing it was 5 and it's completely tone-deaf depiction of the American Heartland as a place where there is no racism, apparently.

Farcry: New Dawn, however, is actually pretty excellent, mostly by avoiding the moral questions the rest of the series fails to really engage in well.

"You mean my white savior fantasy is dumb? Who knew!"
"What do you mean I may have actually made things worse because Pagan Minh abolished both the drug trade and the religious in-fighting? The kids in this region are fucked no matter what?"
" What do you mean the fucking cult leader was right and I just incurred God's Judgement?! Why would I have -ever- expected it to be true?"

I know that the point of the series since 3 has basically been "You shouldn't be here. You're just making things worse." but at least New Dawn is like "You know what? Fuck these people too."

The only Farcry game that has made me want to stop playing it was 5 and it's completely tone-deaf depiction of the American Heartland as a place where there is no racism, apparently.

Farcry: New Dawn, however, is actually pretty excellent, mostly by avoiding the moral questions the rest of the series fails to really engage in well.

"You mean my white savior fantasy is dumb? Who knew!"
"What do you mean I may have actually made things worse because Pagan Minh abolished both the drug trade and the religious in-fighting? The kids in this region are fucked no matter what?"
" What do you mean the fucking cult leader was right and I just incurred God's Judgement?! Why would I have -ever- expected it to be true?"

I know that the point of the series since 3 has basically been "You shouldn't be here. You're just making things worse." but at least New Dawn is like "You know what? Fuck these people too."
While I agree that the story is better, I don't feel like the gameplay is. But this is mostly ubisoft's fault, for making every single one of their games the same game with different coats of paint and different storylines.

figmentPez

Staff member
A bit of change from Prime Gaming this month, one of the games redeems on GOG and another on Epic, in addition to the ones that redeem through Origin or Prime's app.
- GhostRunner (via GOG)
- Star Wars Squadrons (via Origin)
- Alien Isolation (via Epic, you may already have this as it was given away to everyone previously)
- Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures (4 episodes: The Fright of the Bumble Bees, The Last Resort, Muzzled! and The Bogey Man)
- Blue Fire
- Red Wings: Aces of the Sky
- Secret Files 3
- Song of Horror: Complete Edition
- Tiny Robots Recharged
- Whiskey & Zombies: Great Southern Zombie Escape

Wallace & Gromit was fun. Not really a stand-out adventure game, but enjoyable and funny.

Aside from the big name titles, the big stand-out there is probably Song of Horror, which is a love letter to basically the entire survival horror genre. It's kind of interesting but also unfairly hard at times.

Subnautica is 50% off on Steam this weekend, and its sequel/expansion Below Zero is 25% off.

I love Subnautica, though I'm waiting for Below Zero to go lower before I buy it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Prime Gaming continues to up the stakes.

Control Ultimate Edition full game for PC on GOG dot com

Whatever else is offered this month almost doesn't matter, but there's also:

- Dragon Age: Inquisition (via Origin) - note: not the GOTY edition, just the base game
- Rise of the Tomb Raider (via Epic)
- Puzzle Agent 2
- Rogue Heroes: Ruins of Tasos
- Secret Files: Sam Peters
- BAFL - Brakes Are For Losers
- Liberated
- Demon Hunter 2: New Chapter

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep: A Wonderlands One-shot Adventure is free from Epic right now.

Not to be confused with the Borderlands 2 DLC, this is, I think, a recreation of that DLC in the new Tiny Tina's Wonderlands game system,* but I'm not really sure.

* Watching a livestream of people playing. It seems to still be in the Borderlands 2 engine, with the BL2 hero characters, but with wildly different leveling, mob levels, drops, etc. to "balance" it for stand-alone play. And I mean wildly, Mr. Boneypants drops Seraph Crystals for level 1 characters.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
This month's Prime Gaming titles are up:
  • Journey to the Savage Planet + Hot Garbage DLC (GOG)
  • Frostpunk base game (GOG)
  • Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit Remastered (Origin)
  • Football Manager 2021 (Epic)
  • Tales of Monkey Island: Chapters 1-5
  • Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse
  • YouTubers Life OMG!
  • Morkredd
  • Spellcaster University

I kinda like janky RPGs so I bought Greedfall bc the setting looks a little piratey

Edit: Also picked up The Crew 2 for ten bucks, looks like it would be a pretty good road trip game

Last edited:
Humble Bundle has a heck of a Batman Collection bundle right now. Showing as $12.55 Canadian for me, so likely less for most of you, but it includes:

-Arkham Asylum
-Arkham City
-Arkham Origins
-Arkham Knight
-Lego Batman 1
-Lego Batman 2
-Lego Batman 3
-Batman Arkham VR

For such a price, that's a heck of a deal. Though Asylum & City are Game of the Year editions, it doesn't look like Origins or Knight includes any of their respective DLC. Nor the Lego games. But that's still a heck of a deal for anyone who hasn't played these before. Though from what I hear, the VR game isn't worth playing.

(in case you're not reading all threads, I'm joking because some have been very vocal in trying to get us to buy this before some characters were retired)
Oh I definitely didn't get the reference lol

Edit: for character based games, like fighting games, it can suck to lose the ones you like

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is free on Steam right now.

While Epic's freebies this week are:
- Godfall Challenger Edition
- Prison Architect

The Challenger Edition of Godfall is a weird thing, apparently it's a collection of the endgame DLC content, without any of the base game's story. I'm still not clear on what kind of game Godfall is at all.

EDIT: Next week will probably start the daily game giveaways from Epic for their holiday event. I'm eager to see what games I can add to my library that I'll never play.

Last edited:
I think I'm sitting on something like 600 free games now through the various systems. When I see something I'm interested in online, I have to look through everything to see if I already own it, which I often do.

figmentPez

Staff member
Holy Nostalgia, Batman! It's a free holiday themed game. GOG is giving away copies of Cave Story's Secret Santa until Jan 10th. A little different from classics like Holiday Lemmings and Jazz Jackrabbit 2 Holiday Hare, that were basically Christmas themed demo versions of the original games, CSSS isn't a metroidvania like Cave Story, it's "a bite-sized side story of stealth and puzzle solving".

figmentPez

Staff member
GOG is giving away Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun as a kick-off to their Winter Sale.
It's a Real Time stealth squad game, but I have no idea if it's any good.

Also, obviously, plenty of good deals to be had.

GOG is giving away Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun as a kick-off to their Winter Sale.
It's a Real Time stealth squad game, but I have no idea if it's any good.

Also, obviously, plenty of good deals to be had.
I actually paid for this because it reminded me of Robin Hood, the Legend of Sherwood--which I liked a lot back in the day. The play style of this is very similar, but Shogun is not nearly as open ended. With Robin Hood, they set up the level, but ultimately, you could decide how you were going to handle it. Very much like with the Hitman series. Stealth past? Sure. Kill every guard and hide them in houses? Fine. However you want to do it.

With Shogun, it's pretty much a "figure out how the developers want you to handle it..there's no other way." And that turned me off because it didn't allow me to use my own creativity coupled with the characters strengths and weaknesses. It was more of a "what character does the dev want me to use next?", which has the same play feel (to me) as those games were you're clicking random shit on a screen to figure out where the dev has hidden the puzzle hotspot to move forward.

I didn't get past 4 or 5 levels before I stopped playing.

Last edited: