Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

[DeVos was asked on-air] whether she was trying to "utilize this particular crisis to ensure that justice is finally done to our kids and the parents who choose to send them to faith-based schools."
"Yes, absolutely," DeVos replied. "For more than three decades, that has been something that I've been passionate about."
-Source from a week ago: Betsy DeVos openly admits she's using the pandemic to impose her private school choice agenda (Salon)

--Patrick

I don’t know where else to put this. Huge gangs (20+ at minimum) of looters are going around to multiple shopping areas in the SF Bay Area and trashing stores. Police are EVERYWHERE shutting down roads, guarding stores, and doing their best to keep the peace. These assholes are literally running up and down streets with garbage bags smashing doors and windows. And from the video you can tell they’re all young kids reveling in it. The social media posts are talking about it like it’s a game or a party, and no one is mentioning protests or social issues. It’s happening in 6 cities, and there are news reports that they plan to keep spreading this through tomorrow night.

It’s fucking insane.

In San Francisco, where income inequality is at the bursting point I can't say I'm surprised.

Looting and rioting aren't rational, they're always pure emotional rage.

In San Francisco, where income inequality is at the bursting point I can't say I'm surprised.

Looting and rioting aren't rational, they're always pure emotional rage.
It would be nice if you could take your head out of your ass for one moment and realize these groups aren’t looking for social change. They aren’t protesters. They’re thieves seizing an opportunity. Stop being a dick.

Sure bud, keep being angry at a few groups of kids instead of a country on fire.
Right now I’m angry at you and your usual know-it-all, holier-than-thou bullshit. I’m sick of your stupid fucking attitude, and the constant need you have to frame everything as “lol they had it coming” because of your personal political views. You add NOTHING to people’s lives, and you’re doing nothing but being a smug asshole with a keyboard. Get fucked.

Sounds like it's time to unplug and take a breather. Someone's being an asshole with a keyboard, and it's not Frank.
Fine. I'm freaked out because thieves (who by their own admission are not associated with ANY protests or calls for justice) are running around the entire area I live in, destroying and looting. I need some kind of emotional outlet, and what do I get? An uncaring response basically validating and supporting the people breaking the law from @Frank because it fits in the with the narrative he wants to hear right now. I get pissed off, because that's not the first time I've seen this. But now I'm the asshole?

I took a few months off and came back, thinking I was hasty. Now I see I was right. This place is toxic, and you're only interested in letting a few voices have free reign over the conversation.

Have fun in your echochamber.

Dave

Staff member
Holy crap, guys, we’re all a bit stressed out. Shits on fire, yo. Nobody should be an asshole to anyone here. We’re all in this shit together. Unless you are in a different country, then you’re all like, “WTF, America?”

I apologize Tress, I absolutely did not take your own feelings here into account at all and you have every right to be angry and freaked out. I am legitimately sorry.

Thank you. And I am sorry for going off as well. I had a momentary meltdown here in my house, and having gotten that out I see I was wound too tight.

But I still think it’s best for me to go, for at least a little while. Life is getting to be a bit much for me, and I need to be in a better place mentally if I’m going to be online.

Fine. I'm freaked out because thieves (who by their own admission are not associated with ANY protests or calls for justice) are running around the entire area I live in, destroying and looting. I need some kind of emotional outlet, and what do I get? An uncaring response basically validating and supporting the people breaking the law from @Frank because it fits in the with the narrative he wants to hear right now. I get pissed off, because that's not the first time I've seen this. But now I'm the asshole?

I took a few months off and came back, thinking I was hasty. Now I see I was right. This place is toxic, and you're only interested in letting a few voices have free reign over the conversation.

Have fun in your echochamber.
I'm not trying to silence anybody's opinion, I just did not think it was cool the way you made it really personal with Frank. I'm sorry I contributed to making you feel unwelcome, and I hope you and yours stay safe.

We need more of this.
Work has canceled all online meetings and training today and has instead invited everyone to meet up online this afternoon to discuss how we might be feeling about the unrest and how it may be affecting us. They've scheduled a 2hr block, but we'll see if that's enough.

--Patrick

What's hilarious is he is doubling down, implying that people use the term generally just to mean they ":won't go easy on someone".

The dude is a veteran, he knows that no quarter in a general context and "No Quarter" is a MILITARY CONTEXT are not the same thing. When you say the military needs to fly in and stop civil unrest and give "No Quarter", aka, No Mercy, you are telling them they need to shoot to kill.