Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

Ron DeSantis is a petty despot who abuses his power regularly.
I was just reading about this earlier today, and it still makes me rage. To add more details:
Brian Covey, a substitute teacher in Jacksonville, Florida, was fired this week for posting a video showing rows of empty bookshelves in his classroom in late January, which several local teachers did after schools in the Florida’s Manatee and Duval counties received a directive to “remove or cover all classroom libraries until all materials can be reviewed.”
The motive for Covey’s firing is pretty nakedly political, considering the timing: His video went viral last month; Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) was forced to address it on Wednesday at a press conference and called it a “fake narrative;” and Covey tweeted the next day that he’d been let go.

Duval County Public Schools confirmed Covey’s termination in a statement to First Coast News:
“In discussion between the district and ESS regarding this individual’s misrepresentation of the books available to students in the school’s library and the disruption this misrepresentation has caused, it was determined that he had violated social media and cell phone policies of his employer. Therefore, ESS determined these policy violations made it necessary to part ways with this individual.”
Earlier this month, ...wrote about teachers in Manatee and Duval counties scrambling to empty their classroom libraries in order to avoid felony charges, as the state increasingly cracks down on any student reading that grapples with racism or LGBTQ+ issues. As she explained:
As per the Florida Department of Education training document, targeted books are those that “predominantly appeal to a prurient, shameful, or morbid interest,” are “patently offensive” and “without serious literary, artistic, political, or scientific value for minors.” But between DeSantis and the Florida State Board of Education quietly packing its seats with MAGA moms, the required “educational media certificate” seems to be less a measure of objectivity, and more a tool used to ban books that challenge officials’ racist and anti-LBGTQ+ views. According to the Washington Post, teachers who “knowingly or unknowingly” violate these rules can be charged with a third-degree felony ($5,000 fine and up to five years in jail) for exposing students to material that the Florida Department of Education deems “harmful to minors.”
Marie Masferrer, a former librarian in the Manatee County system, told the Washington Post that upon having their books taken away, students “began crying and writing letters to the principal, saying, ‘Please don’t take my books, please don’t do this.’”

DeSantis, a likely 2024 presidential hopeful, is going hard against books and education in general right now for some incomprehensible “culture war” reason. Just this week, he threatened to eliminate advanced placement (AP) classes throughout the state because they include African American studies, which he says lack “educational value.”
I don't know who I hate more right now: DeSantis or the garbage people that support him. My sympathies to anyone stuck in that hellhole right now.

I don't know who I hate more right now: DeSantis or the garbage people that support him. My sympathies to anyone stuck in that hellhole right now.
I can guarantee that 90% of my wife's family voted for that demagogue. They think their way of life is dying and that DeSantis will fight to save it.

Or even more transparent for the poor, hide $2000, get fined $0.31!

The tax system may purport to be progressive, but the penal system is 100% in the other direction.

figmentPez

Staff member
And the latest manufactured controversy:

Yes, so woke, LEGO being inclusive of children with mental health issues and disabilities. What will the world come to next?

GasBandit

Staff member
On a drive back from Conroe last week I was behind a pickup for 10 miles that had, in large, red, angry font in its rear window, LEVITICUS 18:22

It made me wish I could direct message other drivers.

For one thing, it's thought to be a mistranslated, that it is supposed to be against pedophilia, not homosexuality:

and second of all, WHO IS THIS MESSAGE FOR? Do you think you're going to convince an apostate of their sinfulness by referencing scripture at them? The only people who would accept the authority of your argument is those who already agree with you. Is that your intended audience? And if so, what message to these like-minded individuals are you trying to convey? Could you be, maybe, trying to engender some kind of righteous indignation with an implied call to action? Are you perhaps trying to act as a self-appointed cult enforcer, making sure that the others stay in line and focus on hating "the other?" Or are you just bragging about your conviction to adhere to an erroneous interpretation of scripture because it gives you someone to whom you can feel superior for no other reason than someone older and angrier than you told you so?

Guhhhhhh

figmentPez

Staff member
Leviticus 19 28 is much more clear and yet I see a lot of rebel flag tattoos amongst those that preach that shit.
Normally I'd be quick to correct that Lev 19:28 isn't a prohibition against all tattoos, but in this case the tattoos do seem to be some sort of religious rite venerating the dead, and definitely tied to idolatry.

Not really surprising. The Bible was translated for centuries from one language into a another. Sometimes the language changed so much an update was necessary. Errors and mistakes will happen.

There is also the debate that it's don't have incestuous sex with men. Fucking Roger the Shrubber in the ass is okay, as long as you aren't related.

On a drive back from Conroe last week I was behind a pickup for 10 miles that had, in large, red, angry font in its rear window, LEVITICUS 18:22

It made me wish I could direct message other drivers.

For one thing, it's thought to be a mistranslated, that it is supposed to be against pedophilia, not homosexuality:

and second of all, WHO IS THIS MESSAGE FOR? Do you think you're going to convince an apostate of their sinfulness by referencing scripture at them? The only people who would accept the authority of your argument is those who already agree with you. Is that your intended audience? And if so, what message to these like-minded individuals are you trying to convey? Could you be, maybe, trying to engender some kind of righteous indignation with an implied call to action? Are you perhaps trying to act as a self-appointed cult enforcer, making sure that the others stay in line and focus on hating "the other?" Or are you just bragging about your conviction to adhere to an erroneous interpretation of scripture because it gives you someone to whom you can feel superior for no other reason than someone older and angrier than you told you so?

Guhhhhhh
It's ... It's pretty clear it refers to men who have sex with men. The New Testament ones are the verses most likely to refer to other things, but the Leviticus verses are fairly clear. However it is true that words like "homosexual" and "heterosexual" don't appear until later because they simply weren't English words until later, and the style of translation has changed.

Nonetheless, I agree 100% that they are preaching to no one/(I hate this term)'virtue signalling' to those who agree with them when they put it on their cars or whatever. I would no more defer to their understanding of these bible verses than that of an r/atheist user.

Not really surprising. The Bible was translated for centuries from one language into a another. Sometimes the language changed so much an update was necessary. Errors and mistakes will happen.
If anything, translation has gotten better over the centuries, because we have found more sources and a greater understanding. Few people think we understand the Iliad more poorly than we did 500 years ago, for instance.

We also have a good repository of Tanakh/"Apocrypha" from the Dead Sea Scrolls, where the wording is identical to modern Hebrew-language scriptures, which suggests a very high level of original preservation.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's ... It's pretty clear it refers to men who have sex with men. The New Testament ones are the verses most likely to refer to other things, but the Leviticus verses are fairly clear. However it is true that words like "homosexual" and "heterosexual" don't appear until later because they simply weren't English words until later, and the style of translation has changed.
Apparently it's not clear.

Here's someone more well versed than I on the subject [source], emphasis mine:

So what is the most accurate translation? Well, with all of the information we know regarding Paul, the context of where he was writing, who he was talking to, and what he was referencing, our best-educated guess is that it means some kind of sexual/economic exploitation. The Greek words “arsen” and “koiten” were used to describe events 1,600 years before Paul and those events always related to some form of pedophilia or abuse. In Biblical times, same-sex behaviour was primarily perceived as happening between adult men and adolescent boys (masters and servants), via prostitution, and by men who were already married to women. This means Paul was condemning the use of power for abusive purposes, any and all excess lust, and prostitution. From this we can infer that the concept of Arenokoitai is sexual and economic exploitation, and thus there is no way we can relate these verses to the committed, loving, consensual same-gender relationships we see today. The history of this word is complicated, but now it is time to undo history and correct the narrative.

Shylo Rosborough (He/Him)
Affirming Ministries Coordinator

But Leviticus wasn't originally written in greek, since it's Old Testament. you'd need the original hebrew/aramaic/etc. words there to make a call.

That being said, "Let he without sin cast the first stone!" means you're not supposed to do anything about it unless you're a literal saint... and even then Peter, the rock the whole church is build on did a pretty big no-no and disowned Jesus... so unless you're the Virgin Herself, Jesus said to sit down and shut up.

But, also, why do the shellfish eaters get a pass ? That's ABOMINATION too!

Isn't there a discussion that the without sin quote was added innthe middle ages because a monk felt the original text needed some work?

Isn't there a discussion that the without sin quote was added innthe middle ages because a monk felt the original text needed some work?
No, not the middle ages, the books where kind of finalised by the fall of the western empire.

It was apparently present in some versions, but not others, and was known enough to be mentioned by early church fathers (Augustine apparently though men took it out to not give their wives any ideas).