Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I have found that far too many older black Americans have a very racist idea in their heads that anyone more pale than brown can’t be victims of discrimination. This usually has a “So, fuck ‘em because they don’t look like me” attitude to go along with it. Apparently Whoopi is one of those people.

Literally every race/ethnicity/nationality/skin color has at some point in time and space been the subject of racism and discrimination.
In fact, I'll even go so far as saying that considering white-on-black racism to be the most important or most prevalent type of racism is in itself very Western and shows a fairly limited historical perspective. The most important in the sense of current political significance, definitely, I don't want to minimize it unduly - but there are other groups that have suffered as well - including the obvious like Jews, Arabs and Native Americans, but also plenty of groups most in the USA have probably never heard of.

GasBandit

Staff member
Literally every race/ethnicity/nationality/skin color has at some point in time and space been the subject of racism and discrimination.
In fact, I'll even go so far as saying that considering white-on-black racism to be the most important or most prevalent type of racism is in itself very Western and shows a fairly limited historical perspective. The most important in the sense of current political significance, definitely, I don't want to minimize it unduly - but there are other groups that have suffered as well - including the obvious like Jews, Arabs and Native Americans, but also plenty of groups most in the USA have probably never heard of.
Heh, I saw this just the other day -

I would say it shows an extremely limited historical perspective in the US as well. While the atrocities committed against African-Americans are well-known, we sadly minimize that we committed worse-than-Nazi atrocities against the Native Americans. The fact that pure-blooded Native Americans are almost extinct and will never be able to recover is something that almost never gets mentioned in history lessons, even when we talk about the Trail of Tears. Hell, we STILL teach the myth that Thanksgiving was a joining of the Native Americans and the pilgrims, when it was actually the Native tribes showing up to issue a threat that the pilgrims had to get their shit together, and stop stealing from the Native tribes...or else.

But most galling to me in that almost every History class I've taken avoids talking about things like the Immigrant Act of 1924, or how so many groups of people that consider themselves white now (Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, basically any Catholic countries, Jews) were, for a long time, considered "not white". They prop up the lie that this changed through "hard work", when, no, it didn't. Those laws were overturned mainly during the Civil Right movement, for fear of "white America" being over-run by "minorities". Catholic and Jewish people were known for having large families, and most WASPs even going back 100 years or more, thought it was crass to have many children. So how do you suddenly get more white people? Tell those guys they're "acceptably white" now! Help us put those "coloreds" in their place. And you know what? They all pretty much said, "Heck yeah! Shit on other people so I don't get shit on anymore? Sign me up!". But no one wants to talk about that! We leave it out because White Supremacy needs the lie that "you have your social standing through hard work", and "if you're not succeeding, it must mean you're not working hard enough", or it would crumble.

...Sorry, I rant. I can't deal with how far we have our heads up our asses.

Last edited:
I have found that far too many older black Americans have a very racist idea in their heads that anyone more pale than brown can’t be victims of discrimination.
I've found that many (older?) Black Americans use the term "Racist" to refer specifically to White-on-Black racism (e.g., thats_racist.gif) as opposed to the more general concept of racism, probably because that's the subset of overall racism that's surrounded (and impacted) them all their lives.
...Sorry, I rant.
You go right on ahead.

--Patrick

While I'm somewhat hesitant to say what was done to NA's was "worse than the Nazi's" (it was more successful because it lasted much longer), I do generally agree.
The definition of the good "us" has always been increasing to stay ahead of the "other". Heck, we're already at it again - "regular" gay people are more and more being accepted as OK by the right in Europe, as opposed to those dirty trans people - also, it allows the right to continue to look down on those backwards muslim immigrants who don't accept rights for women and the gays (sic)! It's as transparent as can be, but still, it works.

"Racism" is also, always, an annoying term to use. Is your discrimination based on skin color? Ethnicity? Religion? Language? Birthplace? Caste? All of those have been called "racism". And I dislike the -phobia naming as well - it's fairly rarely realyl about being afraid of muslims/black people/gay people/trans people/whatever.

I would say it shows an extremely limited historical perspective in the US as well. While the atrocities committed against African-Americans are well-known, we sadly minimize that we committed worse-than-Nazi atrocities against the Native Americans. The fact that pure-blooded Native Americans are almost extinct and will never be able to recover is something that almost never gets mentioned in history lessons, even when we talk about the Trail of Tears. Hell, we STILL teach the myth that Thanksgiving was a joining of the Native Americans and the pilgrims, when it was actually the Native tribes showing up to issue a threat that the pilgrims had to get their shit together, and stop stealing from the Native tribes...or else.

But most galling to me in that almost every History class I've taken avoids talking about things like the Immigrant Act of 1924, or how so many groups of people that consider themselves white now (Irish, Italians, Eastern Europeans, basically any Catholic countries, Jews) were, for a long time, considered "not white". They prop up the lie that this changed through "hard work", when, no, it didn't. Those laws were overturned mainly during the Civil Right movement, for fear of "white America" being over-run by "minorities". Catholic and Jewish people were known for having large families, and most WASPs even going back 100 years or more, thought it was crass to have many children. So how do you suddenly get more white people? Tell those guys they're "acceptably white" now! Help us put those "coloreds" in their place. And you know what? They all pretty much said, "Heck yeah! Shit on other people so I don't get shit on anymore? Sign me up!". But no one wants to talk about that! We leave it out because White Supremacy needs the lie that "you are your place through hard work", and "if you're not succeeding, it must mean you're not working hard enough", or it would crumble.

...Sorry, I rant. I can't deal with how far we have our heads up our asses.
"Hard work sets you free"?

Sounds awefully familiar

While I'm somewhat hesitant to say what was done to NA's was "worse than the Nazi's" (it was more successful because it lasted much longer), I do generally agree.
I say "worse" not to minimize the atrocities, but to point out that Judaism has been able to to expand and thrive, though not recover, while Native numbers continue to dwindle. The actions of the US (and Canadian) governments has and will lead to the extinction of full-blooded Native Americans, something the Nazis were not able to do (Thank god!). We use the term "Nazi" not just referring to literal Nazis beliefs/practices, but as a synonym for "as evil as you can get", but why do we not hold Americans and Canadians actions to the same level?

I say "worse" not to minimize the atrocities, but to point out that Judaism has been able to to expand and thrive, though not recover, while Native numbers continue to dwindle.
I understand what you mean, but this has less to do with the actions during the Nazi regime or during the systematic attacks on natives, and more with what came after. Native Americans are still locked/hidden away, left to rot, mostly. The Jews were given a country, given enormous restitution payments, and even daring to say anything slightly off color about Semites or Jews is/was considered very, very bad. Saying bad stuff about, hating, or killing native Americans still hasn't reached that point..

But, yeah, I do understand what you mean, and you are right.

I say "worse" not to minimize the atrocities, but to point out that Judaism has been able to to expand and thrive, though not recover, while Native numbers continue to dwindle. The actions of the US (and Canadian) governments has and will lead to the extinction of full-blooded Native Americans, something the Nazis were not able to do (Thank god!). We use the term "Nazi" not just referring to literal Nazis beliefs/practices, but as a synonym for "as evil as you can get", but why do we not hold Americans and Canadians actions to the same level?
I’m not gonna get into nit-picking genocides but the only reason the Jews were able to survive and whatnot is because the Nazis were stopped. Not like they just decided they had killed enough Jews to be satisfied.

In case anyone thought that school banning Maus couldn't possibly get any dumber, it was discussed on The View. Apparently Whoopi Goldberg doesn't think the Holocaust was about race! :Leyla::facepalm:
She has apologized, and she got suspended for 2 weeks as a result.

Is it enough? Is it too much? I don’t really know.

Hey, remember this?
Lindsey Graham (R-SC), in response to tech companies complaining that weakening encryption would lead to what are effectively warrantless searches and interception by bad actors "It ain't complicated for me. You [tech companies] are going to find a way to do this, or we're going to do it for you."
Meanwhile, in California:
...law enforcement agenc[ies] in the county and state [are cutting] off access to radio communications in response to a [2020] California Department of Justice mandate that require[s ] agencies to protect certain personal information that law enforcement personnel obtain from state databases [and] sometimes [...] broadcast over police radios.
A representative of the Racial Justice Coalition of San Diego said [...] that the move to full encryption of radio communications runs contrary to the current demand for more transparency from law enforcement agencies.
No word on any kind of timetable for when the state of California intends to set an example by deliberately weakening their radio encryption as Mr. Graham insists. You might even say there's "radio silence" regarding the idea.

--Patrick

I'm more than a bit concerned (about a few things in this thread, but particularly about) how this person found out that the person they harrased is "quite geuninely a female." That seriously squicks me out.

GasBandit

Staff member
The tv at the phlebotomist just had a commercial for a political incumbent that brags first and loudly that he has been endorsed by Donald Trump.

Mystifying, but some people still consider that a selling point I guess.

The tv at the phlebotomist just had a commercial for a political incumbent that brags first and loudly that he has been endorsed by Donald Trump.

Mystifying, but some people still consider that a selling point I guess.
To far too many people it is. "I'm endorsed by Donald Trump" is code for "I'm racist and bigoted in all the ways that make you feel validated"

GasBandit

Staff member
To far too many people it is. "I'm endorsed by Donald Trump" is code for "I'm racist and bigoted in all the ways that make you feel validated"
True enough. The only policy positions voiced by the candidate were "protecting the unborn" and "more money to guard the border."

some people still consider that a selling point I guess.
I would like to introduce everyone (again) to Bob Scott, gubernatorial candidate (R-Natch) looking to unseat MI Gov. Whitmer later this year. The following are excerpted from his blog entry titled: "Belief in Him" (yes, that is exactly how Bob capitalizes it)
I do not believe that Trump will be inaugurated on the 20th, I KNOW HE WILL BE. I know this from what God has told his prophets and I know this from what He has told me. The question is who are you going to believe? God or those who cheated in this election?
Its [sic] the same people that want you to believe that a piece of cloth will prevent a virus. Just wear this and you will be safe. What’s more you will protect those around you. Be a good citizen and wear it. I am sorry it does not protect anyone, it will actually make you more likely to contract respiratory illnesses, including this “virus”. Do you like communism? That is what it is all about
"Vote for me or else COMMUNISM ooooOOOOooooOOOooooo..."

Separately, I also want to bring up this site's take, just because of these opening lines:
CowboyRadio is a solo operation focused on bringing independent information to a broader public. So that everyone can reap the fruits of liberty and work together to maintain a semblance of individualistic thought for the coming years. [...]
Below I’ll do my best to present unbiased information about candidates who have announced their bid for Michigan’s 2022 gubernatorial race...
Yeah CowboyRadio I can't quite put my finger on it but I have some doubts about your impartiality. Just sayin'.

--Patrick