General Empyrion Thread

GasBandit

Staff member
Well fuck. So my water/power/oxygen base is now useless.
Assuming it was on Akua or Ningues, then you won't be able to /tt to it to resupply a PVP base anymore.

It had to be done. The entire game's content is now pretty much available in PvE, where you can raid POIs and build things to your heart's content in complete safety from other players... but it's always been my policy to try to limit the amount of PvE area support that can be leveraged in PvP. That's why the one way warp was there, and if the teleporter blacklist had been a thing back when I made the map, it would have been this way from the get go.

The whole "water/power PvE base feeding a PvP presence" thing undermines PvP as an endgame. I'm already doing enough damage to that by keeping Trading Outpost PvE.

All the big PvP factions that have come to the server have groused about people "hiding their stuff around gargantua," and I agree with them for the most part - but I wanted Gargantua to be a safe commerce port for trade, and that means I had to make the whole sector PvE. It's a small consolation to the timid that they can have a base there in safety. And they're walking the walk - VAC, XPA, and MWG are all active in PvP and have no bases around Gargantua (except VAC's trophy case but that doesn't really count) - they're 100% committed to risking it all in PvP. And I want to encourage that mindset.

But I also don't want Halforums users to feel like they have no place to play on a server that bears the name, so that's why I expanded PvE territory to now have one of all the various kinds of planets available, and the new nascent moon as well.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, let's see how long it takes the big dogs to kick me off Hoth. They'll get a little bloody, though, I'll warrant.

1538347641629.png

Would've put the "spokes" between the blades (so the blades themselves don't screen the spokes), but otherwise I approve.
Still working on my own design in creative before I settle, will post it when I'm done.
I assume they all have LC/OLP?

--Patrick

Because you asked:
Former ping times: 65-90 (with rare short spikes to 100-110)
Current ping times: 55-75 (sample size too small for spikes yet)

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh yeah, for those of you who weren't on to hear it, the fiber is finally in at my office. So I've now got 100 mbit up and down, and I've noticed about 5-10ms shorter ping times to google (down to about 22ms)

Man, back when I had verizon DSL, the bandwidth was shit (1.5mbit) even for the time, but boy were those 17ms ping times nice in FPS games.

GasBandit

Staff member
After discussion with various parties on the server, the following changes have been made:

Large water jugs now once again stack in 999, not 100, as it was in 7.6.2
Offline Protection now takes 20 minutes to activate instead of 5 - however, it will last 7 days now instead of 2.

Oh thank heavens for the water jugs.
...even though I know it means you will now only have to enter an atmosphere 1/10th as often.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Xango2000 (author of the VB and Scan mods) has apparently deleted his steam page about his mods, and the shared google drive that served up the mod files themselves says it has been put in the trash.

Well, THAT doesn't bode well.

Xango2000 (author of the VB and Scan mods) has apparently deleted his steam page about his mods, and the shared google drive that served up the mod files themselves says it has been put in the trash.

Well, THAT doesn't bode well.
I hope you saved them. I checked them out, but never grabbed my own copy before they disappeared. I would further appreciate it if you could pass me a copy of them both (in their original forms, if possible).
In the meanwhile, let’s hope that the reason for this is that Eleon decided they want to incorporate the mods somehow into the main game.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I hope you saved them. I checked them out, but never grabbed my own copy before they disappeared. I would further appreciate it if you could pass me a copy of them both (in their original forms, if possible).
In the meanwhile, let’s hope that the reason for this is that Eleon decided they want to incorporate the mods somehow into the main game.

—Patrick
I still have them (and even some of the previous versions).

But it looks like he also still has the source code up on his github, perhaps in case anyone else wants to take them over...

https://github.com/xango2000/EmpyrionAPIMods

HalforumsEmpyrionDiscord.png

In case anyone is wondering when we'll be back on server - it'll be sometime after "fag" stops being an acceptable descriptor of people.

GasBandit

Staff member
I've turned on the chat swear kicker, and whitelisted most everything, but made sure that was on the blacklist. It will give two warnings, and then hour suspensions.

Dave

Staff member
I think it has as much to do with the caliber of people that use that language as much as the language itself.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, if I catch em doing it, I'll do something about it.

But I'm not willing to undertake the amount of micromanagement time it will take to verify the "caliber" of players on the server. If we're gonna start doing that, I might as well make it a private server. Which will stagnate awful fast.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't blame you. That sounds like the sort of position that demands compensation of some sort.

--Patrick
And it's too subjective. Where do you draw the line? And how do you define it in such a way that it can be an enforceable policy? It's a slippery slope and a gordian knot all rolled into one.

T

The Watcher in the Wings

It's also a bunch of bullshit, reading through the chat logs show no such occurrences.

T

The Watcher in the Wings

They cannot delete comments from the chat bot, only someone with discord admin privileges can do that.

Dave

Staff member
Yeah, nobody is trying to get around any sort of language filters. Nobody at all.

notmanhatten (14:31)
thats skippy, hes gae