[Gaming] Mass Effect 3 : It's here and thy ending is queeeeeeer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, the endings still feel stupid to me. It's better then the original turds, but not by much.

You know what would have been great, while actually making our choices matter even a little bit?

Make it so the three choices are the easy way out, but if you refuse you take the hard way out. Taking the hard way throws all your military and readiness rating into the mix and if you are high enough, you defeat the Reapers the old fashioned way, but if you are too low you get the cycle ending. This would have given those that wanted to work for the victory a greater sense of accomplishment, gave a purpose to that stupid galactic score system, am, god forbid, a happy ending that stuck with the values of the series.

But no, Casey needs his artistic integrity.

Synthesis is still so fucking stupid. Adding that robot wire sheen to the clothing? What, we all fused with our outfits?

I, too, just watched Destroy and Refusal. That was enough for me.

I didn't have high hopes for the EC, and it's about what I expected -- I sort of think it's an improvement, even if it's just a few shiny layers of polish on the turd. That's not saying much -- there really wasn't anywhere to go but up, and it's still a completely shit sendoff for an amazing trilogy -- but I guess I like that they put a lot of resources into an attempt to meet the fans somewhere in the middle, and SOME concerns were addressed. It went from being a horrible grim-dark WTF ending to a grim-dark WTF ending with bittersweet notes. I guess I can live with that and move on with my life (although their giving fans the middle finger with the Refusal ending is unbelievably childish.)

Bioware has still completely destroyed the trust they've built with me over the better part of a decade, and my "OMG a new Bioware game time to pre-order take my money pleaaase" days are done. Will I buy any DLC for Mass Effect 3? Hell no. I'm done with that series. Will I definitively say that I will never, ever give Bioware another dime? Nah. I disagree with a lot of decisions they've made in the last few years, and I abhor EA's business practices, but the EC was a small step in the right direction.

...just finished.

I still like Synthesis. It's happy, it's hopeful and I like to imagine my Commander Shepard is now a part of everyone. Someone is going to disagree or call me stupid but I stand by it. It's a possibility I hadn't even considered and I feel like it paid off for me. I always thought that the series would end with the Mass Effect Realys going down the toilet and Shepard dying so this one was a great surprise to me. Also, seeing EDI get a happy ending made me happy.

I've watched the other endings as well. Control is a good one as well, in my eyes. Destroy...I have a lot of problems with (they all just...fly home? How long would that take? Years?).

Refusal is the only one that made me roll my eyes and say "whatever." I get why they put it in...but couldn't they have done MORE with it then "Derp! You all died!"

I think someone already said that that's where galatic readiness should have come into play and you had to fight tooth and nail.

Otherwise, I'm content. People are still going to be frothing at the mouth but I've come to expect that.

Wanna hear the biggest dumb shit nitpick I have. The plaque says Commander Shepard. Aren't they using the ingame engine there? Couldn't they have written it so it superimposed whatever first name you gave your Shepard? I know other games have done this.

I guess I'm asking too much of the company that gave us stock photo Tali.

At least Chobot wasn't shoe-horned in. I kind of expected her to suddenly be there like she was an important character and not universally loathed.

Synthesis is still so fucking stupid. Adding that robot wire sheen to the clothing? What, we all fused with our outfits?
I think that's more of a sign of rushed production. I can see the seams in the textures. Instead of 'undressing' their character models they just slapped it on. It's reeks of being rushed for results.

...or they could be using Fantastic Four movie logic when it comes to clothing. :p

A few more things.

I still love that the "happiest" ending is the epitome of losing your individuality in favor of everyone being the same. Every time I see them with those glowing eyes I think the Borg or some other sci-fi race based on assimilation. I mean think about it. We are following a massive war with the Reapers in which trillions perished, and now that the green wave hit us all, we are all just "Woah... the Reapers are our friends..." At least in Control it can be explained that the races trust Shepard to keep them under wraps, but Synthesis they basically become our friends. Also I am sure all those races that were MELTED to create the Reapers sure are happy that the embodiment of their extinction get to walk around as happy knowledge repositories.

My only other choices are genocide (Because obviously killing the Reapers means I need to kill EDI and the Geth too, I mean how else would it work... HUH?) or a galactic police state (God help us if the Shepard God-thing was created from a Renegade Shepard). Assimilation, galactic police state, genocide, or extinction. Sounds like some great options to me for an ending to a trilogy in which I grew to care about these people.

I don't care if my Shepard has to die, but I want to save my galaxy as it was, full of individualism, choice, compassion, and freedom. None of the endings give me what I want without a huge drawback that goes counter to my values.

Also about the Synthesis ending.

Did anyone laugh when the Husk becomes aware and is looking around with his frozen monster face? I could just imagine his head "Oh.. oh wow I can think again, wher.... OH FUCK, MY BODY, AHHHHHHH FUCK!"

The implications of Synthesis are disturbing to me. Aside from the "LOL Space Magic" explanation of how it's even possible -- I'm willing to suspend disbelief when smaller numbers of people are impaled on the spikes, but yeah, we're talking trillions here -- genetically mutating all living creatures against their will is sort of... fascist? What if organics don't want to be half synthetic? It's too close to this for me:

No thanks.

(But I don't think you're stupid for disagreeing ;) )

Eh, I've always said if some scientist came knocking on my door and asked if I would test their nanites/cyborg technology/brain chip I'd probably do it.

Also, I joked with my husband that I should write in my will that biotech companies can use my body or brain waves to base a computer around. They'd never WANT to but, hey, the option is on the table.

"You're stupid for thinking everything isn't awesome. Stupid and dumb for not understanding why Synthesis is the best shit ever. Idiot dumb stupid. Stupid. Everyone who doesn't get me is stupid." - Crawling in My Skin Hudson.

Eh, I've always said if some scientist came knocking on my door and asked if I would test their nanites/cyborg technology/brain chip I'd probably do it.

Also, I joked with my husband that I should write in my will that biotech companies can use my body or brain waves to base a computer around. They'd never WANT to but, hey, the option is on the table.
Oh, yeah, for sure. I'd bet a LOT of people in the ME galaxy would be just fine with becoming half synthetic, especially if it offered significant improvements to their lives/performance/etc.

But in this situation, if said scientists came to your door and said "We're going to test our nanites/cyborg technology/brain chip on your son, whether you like it or not," would you still be OK with it? Because that's sort of what Synthesis is to me.

No. I wouldn't be okay with that. I would be okay with a space marine having to make a last minute decision to save trillions of lives, though.

"You're stupid for thinking everything isn't awesome. Stupid and dumb for not understanding why Synthesis is the best shit ever. Idiot dumb stupid. Stupid. Everyone who doesn't get me is stupid." - Crawling in My Skin Hudson.

Thanks for making me spew water all over my keyboard. People at work think I'm strange enough as it is... :)

No. I wouldn't be okay with that. I would be okay with a space marine having to make a last minute decision to save trillions of lives, though.
But all three of the choices Shepard was offered by Starchild would save organic life -- destroy would involve genocide of synthetic life, which is definitely a shitty thing to do after everything with EDI/the Geth -- but at this point, the only option that really wipes out organic life is "Reject."

But all three of the choices Shepard was offered by Starchild would save organic life -- destroy would involve genocide of synthetic life, which is definitely a shitty thing to do after everything with EDI/the Geth -- but at this point, the only option that really wipes out organic life is "Reject."
Control: Saves organic life...but Shpard is now God. We have to keep to Shpards ideals or else he/she might get pissed off and start reaping us.

Destroy: Mass effect relays are shot...so all the armies just take the long way home? And starve? Run our of energy? I don't know if it was ever established how long it takes to travel between galaxies. If I go by Star Trek logic I'd guess it would take hundreds of years.

I can definitely see why people would have trouble with any of these endings, though. They are kind of...uncomfortable to think about in depth, from a philosophical stand point (IANAP!).

Then you just get into plot holes and what ifs. I invested a lot of time an enthusiasm into this series...it still stings...but I can handle it. I'll probably still buy DLC because I love the individual character more than anything.

You know I still can't even get over the logistics of bio-synthetic life. It does not show things like the Normandy suddenly made of bio-synthetics, it does not show those tables or buildings made of bio-synthetics.

Which brings me to another issue. If not everything in the universe was turned into some bio-synthetic material, couldn't the bio-synthetics technically make normal synthetics in the future? Since organics and synthetics, supposedly, are unable to co-exist, what happens when it become synthetics versus bio-synthetics?

I'm pretty sure it's established in Mass Effect that non-relay travel is also very, very time consuming and dangerous as well without reliable places to refuel.

I'm pretty sure it's established in Mass Effect that non-relay travel is also very, very time consuming and dangerous as well without reliable places to refuel.
So, it is a kinda huge hole when you see Wrex returning home in that ending and the Normandy deciding "Fuck it" and taking off any ways.

You know I still can't even get over the logistics of bio-synthetic life. It does not show things like the Normandy suddenly made of bio-synthetics, it does not show those tables or buildings made of bio-synthetics.

Which brings me to another issue. If not everything in the universe was turned into some bio-synthetic material, couldn't the bio-synthetics technically make normal synthetics in the future? Since organics and synthetics, supposedly, are unable to co-exist, what happens when it become synthetics versus bio-synthetics?
I want to play that game. Seriously. It could make an interesting story.

Also, how the hell does reproduction work? The little Krogan baby with green eyes disturbs the hell out of me.

Don't forget that this is apparently "the highest stage of evolution". Yeah right.

So, it is a kinda huge hole when you see Wrex returning home in that ending and the Normandy deciding "Fuck it" and taking off any ways.
Well, not entirely, it could be explained away that they lived long enough to get home since Krogan are only second to Asari in lifespan.

Also, how the hell does reproduction work? The little Krogan baby with green eyes disturbs the hell out of me.

Don't forget that this is apparently "the highest stage of evolution". Yeah right.
Maybe it's the highest stage of evolution as the reapers could imagine it. I don't think synthesis really means you'd stop evolving. There's will always be something 'new' happening. "Ghost in the machine", nature vs. nurture and all that will still happen.

Well, not entirely, it could be explained away that they lived long enough to get home since Krogan are only second to Asari in lifespan.
Shit. Forgot about the Krogan lifespan. Though, coupled with narration, I get a more "near future" vibe to it. I just get the feeling its a little misstep.

Control: Saves organic life...but Shpard is now God. We have to keep to Shpards ideals or else he/she might get pissed off and start reaping us.

Destroy: Mass effect relays are shot...so all the armies just take the long way home? And starve? Run our of energy? I don't know if it was ever established how long it takes to travel between galaxies. If I go by Star Trek logic I'd guess it would take hundreds of years..
I don't like the Control ending either, so I agree with you there. I'm not going to play it again, but if I decide to in a few years I'm going to go with Destroy.

Did the EC make it so that the relays weren't destroyed in Control/Synthesis? Because in the retail version, the relays were destroyed with all three endings (which was one of the biggest problems I had with the whole thing, for the exact reasons you stated!)

I don't like the Control ending either, so I agree with you there. I'm not going to play it again, but if I decide to in a few years I'm going to go with Destroy.

Did the EC make it so that the relays weren't destroyed in Control/Synthesis? Because in the retail version, the relays were destroyed with all three endings (which was one of the biggest problems I had with the whole thing, for the exact reasons you stated!)
They are still destroyed in all three endings but in control the reapers rebuild them and in synthesis it's implied that they can not only rebuild the relays but use the technology of the reaped civilization that came before them to find other ways around. So, in at least two endings, the realys are rebuilt fairly quickly...and even then they don't fully explode...the 'rings' just sorta...fall out.

In the Destroy ending I believe they explode still.

Now for those that don't want to replay the game yet, are impatient, or just don't want to give the game much more of your free time, here are the endings. Each one can change slightly based on factors like who survived, as some of the slides involve old squad members, but you get the overall idea behind each one.

Destroy
Control
Synthesis
Refusal
I'm such a pansy.

I got tear eyed when Joker was commanded to leave Shepard behind by Garrus.

And I completely lost my shit when Liara put Shepard's name on the wall of the dead.

Watched all the endings, I'll be honest, I still love the soundtrack and it felt like this was a truthful effort by Bioware to provide a better ending. Is it the best? Absolutely not, you still get the traditional, choose one of the 3 colors.... now it comes with a new color of "don't like my endings? you have chosen the color... FUCK OFF brown."

However, there's definitely more of an effort, with more voice acting and more elaborations.

I'm not satisfied but I'm definitely not enraged by any means. And I don't know if it's because the ending met my low expectations or simply because I don't give a shit about Bioware anymore.

But I'm going to state this boldly.

Why weren't these things added to the original game? Who thought the way the game ended was suitable to the masses who are invested in their trilogy? There's a flagrant problem when something happens like this and while the extra effort is nice you're only putting whipped cream and caramel on a piece of turd ending.

God child?

Really?

And I still don't understand what the whole catalyst thing really meant.

It gets more disturbing the more you think about it. How are the Geth going to reproduce if they can't do the same thing the Crucible did? They can make more synthetic versions of themselves, but not the bio-synthetics?

Also, if they CAN make bio-synthetics, then holy shit. Think of having a kid, watching it grow up, but being disappointed with him, so you build a copy of him with all the traits you want and then zap with a bio-synthetic ray. BOOM. Instant replacement. Though I guess since everyone was assimilated into the same happy hive mind, stuff like that wouldn't happen anyways.

It gets more disturbing the more you think about it. How are the Geth going to reproduce if they can't do the same thing the Crucible did? They can make more synthetic versions of themselves, but not the bio-synthetics?

Also, if they CAN make bio-synthetics, then holy shit. Think of having a kid, watching it grow up, but being disappointed with him, so you build a copy of him with all the traits you want and then zap with a bio-synthetic ray. BOOM. Instant replacement. Though I guess since everyone was assimilated into the same happy hive mind, stuff like that wouldn't happen anyways.

Yeah, that is exactly why I don't think about it and really don't like that ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.