[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Had a pregnancy scare today. Girlfriend's been sick lately, throwing up often and not being able to keep anything down. Some people at work (we work together) joked she was pregnant.

She took two tests tonight.

Not pregnant.

PHEW.

Oddly enough, even though neither of us are even remotely ready to have one, the idea doesn't scare me off. We've been discussing a little about the idea of moving in together and we're semi-planning a weekend trip to Toronto sometime in the summer. We hit the 6-month mark in the relationship and things are still going pretty well.

Had a pregnancy scare today. Girlfriend's been sick lately, throwing up often and not being able to keep anything down. Some people at work (we work together) joked she was pregnant.

She took two tests tonight.

Not pregnant.

PHEW.

Oddly enough, even though neither of us are even remotely ready to have one, the idea doesn't scare me off. We've been discussing a little about the idea of moving in together and we're semi-planning a weekend trip to Toronto sometime in the summer. We hit the 6-month mark in the relationship and things are still going pretty well.
You will find that it's a common joke anytime a woman is nauseous. It personally irritates the fuck out of me.

I'd think the lack of menstruation would be the first sign of pregnancy, not a queasy tummy. I mean, if a girl I knew was nauseous and showing no other symptoms of pregnancy (swelling of the mammary glands, lack of menstruation, etc...) I certainly wouldn't jump to "pregnant".

That's kind of like jumping to brain tumor from a headache.

I'd think the lack of menstruation would be the first sign of pregnancy, not a queasy tummy. I mean, if a girl I knew was nauseous and showing no other symptoms of pregnancy (swelling of the mammary glands, lack of menstruation, etc...) I certainly wouldn't jump to "pregnant".

Can't always go by the lack of menstruation being the first sign. My first signs were fatigue, nausea, and my nails suddenly growing fast. Both of my kids' due dates were wrong because I didn't miss my period right away when I was first pregnant.

Yeah, I know women* who continued to have monthly bleeding well into their 5th month. It's a possible side effect of pregnancy, and, much like bleeding that occurs while on the pill, isn't actually true menstruation (most birth control pills completely stop the forming of uteral slime) - but it's similar enough to be easily mistaken for it. On the other hand, I have a friend who regularly misses her period due to stress - didn't have a period for over 3 years once. Doctors said it was perfectly normal and, if worried, to take a pregnancy test every couple of months just to be safe.

*OK, one woman.

Brother's fiance dumped him this weekend. I just saw Weird Al is starting up a new tour this year, thought tickets to a show would be a fucking awesome way to cheer him up. Al's only got one show in CA, and it's up near Humboldt.

I would like to say that a Weird Al concert can potentially be life-changing. He could find the love of his life there. Who knows?

--Patrick

I would like to say that a Weird Al concert can potentially be life-changing. He could find the love of his life there. Who knows?

--Patrick
Yeah I've seen him once and it was absolutely the most fun I've ever had at a live performance. I'm hoping some SoCal dates are added.

Brother's fiance dumped him this weekend. I just saw Weird Al is starting up a new tour this year, thought tickets to a show would be a fucking awesome way to cheer him up. Al's only got one show in CA, and it's up near Humboldt.

Dude, he's like from SoCal. You could e-mail him about your brother and he'd come over and hang for free for all you know.

GasBandit

Staff member
Traffic Director was out sick thursday and friday.
She went to the doctor on monday.
She's in the hospital today.

And I'm a bad person because all I can think about is how much it is sucking for me to have to do her job while she's out.

I'm a bad person because all I can think about is how much it is sucking for me to have to do her job while she's out.
No, it's perfectly normal for in-the-moment stuff to mentally overshadow stuff that's actually more important. It happens all the time. It's why they put candy in the checkout lane...because they know your in-the-moment brain will go CANDYYYmusthavemusthavemusthave, etc.

Give her a call or visit her later, and everything will be fine (socially). Assuming you care about her, that is.

--Patrick

Last edited:

Cajungal

Staff member
I've had a thought like that, @GasBandit, and it made me feel awful. It's one of those things that's hard to control, and it's why your actions matter more. :) But yeah, an aging family friend--one I knew *just* well enough that I knew I should go to the funeral--was dying very slowly, and every week I'd secretly hope that the funeral would fall on a Saturday or Sunday so I wouldn't have to make plans for a sub. Because you know, that would really be a hardship for me.

GasBandit

Staff member
People don't LISTEN. I tell them, DON'T USE EMERGENCY SIRENS IN YOUR COMMERCIALS. It's a dick move, it makes people in their cars freak the fuck out, and the FCC has NO SENSE OF HUMOR about this kind of stuff. But no, this one client who produces their own spots (or rather has an agency who does) keeps SENDING US SPOTS that always start off with sirens. Sure the voice starts talking within 2 seconds, but that instant is enough to make our 15 share of the market slam on their collective brakes and turn rush hour into a mad max movie!

People don't LISTEN. I tell them, DON'T USE EMERGENCY SIRENS IN YOUR COMMERCIALS. It's a dick move, it makes people in their cars freak the fuck out, and the FCC has NO SENSE OF HUMOR about this kind of stuff. But no, this one client who produces their own spots (or rather has an agency who does) keeps SENDING US SPOTS that always start off with sirens. Sure the voice starts talking within 2 seconds, but that instant is enough to make our 15 share of the market slam on their collective brakes and turn rush hour into a mad max movie!
yeah, that always pisses me off.

And I never remember what the commercial was about, because I spend the next 5 minutes fuming. So, I'm pretty sure they've never actually sold me anything using that technique.

DON'T USE EMERGENCY SIRENS IN YOUR COMMERCIALS.
Or car/air horns. Or police/fire sirens. Or squealing tires. Or automotive crashing sounds. Or "your door is open" chimes.
...really, there are so many ways it an otherwise innocent radio commercial can potentially panic a driver when heard in a car.

--Patrick