South Africa 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Staff member
Thanks for scoring that goal, France. In the pool I changed my initial prediction from France winning 3-0 to France losing 2-1. After the first 2 by South Africa I thought it was going to be another Portugal.

I love that South Africa beat France. For some reason it defied my expectations, but happily so.

I really wanted North Korea to do better, though. I know it's late, but 7-0 is just harsh, especially after pulling off only a one point loss against freakin' Brazil.

Z

zero

... and group B is done: Argentina (who has been showing the most beautiful football so far) in first and, surprisingly, South Korea in second. I believe South Korea will be no match for Uruguay, but, hey, Calleja, what's the big plan for stopping Messi?

B

Biardo

I have an unexplainable love for South Korea so I'm really happy they got trough the first stage lets hope they can play well against Uruguay.

And lets hope that Messi will get to scoring soon.

I am so happy to see south Korea go through. Uruguay has a whole lot tougher defense than the teams they played against so they will probably not be going farther.

Biardo said:
And lets hope that Messi will get to scoring soon.
^:uhhuh:

Also damn fathers day threw me off a day and I didnt get to change my prediction to France losing.

Z

zero

Oh crap, USA can't seem to get a break, do they?
Another disallowed goal... And Sepp Blatter insists there's no need of replays in football... idiot...

B

Biardo

yeah, I would say that it was offside but very difficult to see for the linesman (who is a Belgian)

Dave

Staff member
Offsides? Are you insane? At worst it was even! He was behind the defender when the ball was struck.

Z

zero

Onside or Even... but USA just got lucky with the crappy refs... they just ignored a clear penalty for Algeria.

B

Biardo

sorry I meant onside, come on USA you deserve it more

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

that's how you do it!

Z

zero

USA Scored!!! What an ending!!!!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

That's it, and USA is the first in the group!

Congratulations to the best USA football team ever.

Holy crap, I feel for Slovenia. They played their guts out near the end there, attacking however they could, even though they knew a draw in the USA-Algeria match would still put them through. And then right when the ref ends the game, USA score, and Slovenia are eliminated. I wonder how they felt there.

"We lost, but at least we can still progress to the knock-out stages. Wait, Landon Donovan just did WHAT?!?!?"

I just realized there's a good chance of an England-Germany matchup in the next round. Those are always interesting.

I looked at the live "box" score on Yahoo! with 4 min remaining, and thought great another tie. Because nothing ever happens in 4 minutes of a soccer match.

I am glad to be wrong.

B

Biardo

This is the second time the USA is doing good in a tournament in 2 years, apparently they starting to form quit the taste for success

and we can't even place:(

C

Chazwozel

A World Cup U.S. win would definitely be a boon for the sport in the U.S.

We have no plan for stopping Messi. Argentina kicked us out of the last World Cup with a unstoppable, genius goal by Maxi Rodriguez. It was a close game, too.

This time around? Unless our DT pulls his shit together, which he won't, we have no chance. We have the team and talent, but not the strategy or consistency. Few Mexicans hold hope to go on beyond the next round. Argentina is our World Cup Moby Dick.

B

Biardo

ok but mexico is playing better then I've seen them play in the last decade or so, not that I'm saying you'll win but maybe there is a slim chance, maybe

They CAN play better than they've played in a decade or so, no doubt, we have the potential to be a great team.. the friendly against Italy and the match against France (somewhat) prove that.... our problem is consistency. We can have a great game one day and play worse than Papua New Guinea the next. That's our problem. If they go out on Sunday playing like they did against Italy or maybe even France, we have a chance, for sure.

We all doubt it, though. The DT is playing favorites and aligning players that shouldn't be there and benching those who should.

Sad.

I'm thinking you should watch out for Mexico in 2026, though!! If we keep sending players to Europe, 16 years might be enough to become actually good :smug:

Status
Not open for further replies.