The Kickstarter Bonanza - Everything Edition

figmentPez

Staff member
Snrk.

--Patrick
Honestly, if the price is right, I can see that selling pretty well as a gag gift. I'm not sure if it'll Kickstart very well, since it's not something most people would buy for themselves, but maybe a lot of people plan out their insulting gift giving early.

I applaud the concept, but not sure I'd really enjoy the platforming. What I'd really like is "Evil Genius 2," kind of a more fleshed out and sandboxy version of it.
See, I'm the opposite... I already HAVE Evil Genius, which covers the master mind type villian. Payday 2 covers heist movies. Overlord and Dungeon Master cover the medieval evil type stuff. Stubbs the Zombie covers zombie movies. I want stuff that covers other types. I want...

- A game where you play as a horror movie monster/slasher and have to hunt down teenagers without getting taken down by the heroes or the Final Girl.

- A game where I play a a kaiju monster and my goal is to cause as much destruction as possible to a city. Sort of like Rampage, but taken to it's ultimate extreme.

I applaud the concept, but not sure I'd really enjoy the platforming. What I'd really like is "Evil Genius 2," kind of a more fleshed out and sandboxy version of it.
Fair point, I just like the charm of it being a more classic side-scroller with a twist. Also that reverse boss fight looks fun as hell!

GasBandit

Staff member
See, I'm the opposite... I already HAVE Evil Genius, which covers the master mind type villian. Payday 2 covers heist movies. Overlord and Dungeon Master cover the medieval evil type stuff. Stubbs the Zombie covers zombie movies. I want stuff that covers other types. I want...

- A game where you play as a horror movie monster/slasher and have to hunt down teenagers without getting taken down by the heroes or the Final Girl.

- A game where I play a a kaiju monster and my goal is to cause as much destruction as possible to a city. Sort of like Rampage, but taken to it's ultimate extreme.
That last one was made back in the 80s. It was made for Commodore 64 called Crush, Crumble and Chomp. A remake for today's systems would be ballin'.

As for Evil Genius, my feeling is the game wasn't really completed, nor was it fleshed out enough. There were only two levels, and the game's progression was pretty much on rails - the ending was ME3 before there was an ME3, really - same ending, 3 flavors. I'd have like to have seen different (or even randomly generated) islands, a wider variety of outcomes, and a whole lot of debugging and rebalancing of traps and rooms. Dungeon Keeper also needs a modern remake.

Yeah, as much as I loved the idea of Evil Genius, it's kind of a broken game because it's not really well polished or balanced.

I'm probably alone here, but you know what I'd love to see get a sequel that's in a similar vein? GHOST MASTER. Man, I still break that game out sometimes.

Yeah, as much as I loved the idea of Evil Genius, it's kind of a broken game because it's not really well polished or balanced.

I'm probably alone here, but you know what I'd love to see get a sequel that's in a similar vein? GHOST MASTER. Man, I still break that game out sometimes.
No, Ghost Master is... an interesting, if incredibly flawed game. It needs a remake, badly.

No, Ghost Master is... an interesting, if incredibly flawed game. It needs a remake, badly.
Oh, definitely flawed. Won't argue that. I'd argue it's at least less flawed than Evil Genius; less flawed enough to play through most of it. I've never beaten the last level, admittedly.

Matchstick - The Streaming Stick Built on Firefox OS

Matchstick is a small, WiFi-connected HDMI stick that plugs into your HDTV or HD Monitor that lets you stream and interact with your favorite stuff from the Internet - movies, TV, music, games, and more! You can even use it in a conference room to get presentations or other media from your laptop to an HDTV.
Seen this before? Well, we approached the Matchstick project with the mindset to to build a completely OPEN hardware and software platform, so we moved forward with Mozilla to create the first streaming stick built and certified for Firefox OS. Matchstick is a entirely new product category for Mozilla, and we can't wait to bring it to you!

So the anonabox hit the frontpage of Reddit, and people are calling it out for basically reselling already-on-the-market Chinese hardware.

From what I've read, as long as it does what it purports to it still may not be a bad deal, but the presentation makes the whole thing look pretty shady.

GasBandit

Staff member
Turns out, Nicole He, who works for Kickstarter as a community manager, is a big ol' racist.

Way to manage that community, Nicole.

Turns out, Nicole He, who works for Kickstarter as a community manager, is a big ol' racist.

Way to manage that community, Nicole.
It's like companies don't take the community manager role seriously, and just toss it to whoever's cousin/sibling/significant other needs a job.

The use is very limited but for those of us living in places prone to natural disasters it can be a lifesaver. You may have to use your own 9volt batteries or if times are desperate enough "borrow" one from a neighbor. but it is possible that it could save a life.

The Oatmeal makes a card game about exploding kittens.

Myeah, the $10.000 goal was a bit silly, wasn't it? 1000% funded in under a day. Quelle surprise.

I only need a correction in one eye - I wore glasses with window plate glass on one side for a while, now I'm wearing a single contact lens. i'd love for monocles to make a return. But these don't come with a correction, boooh!

It's ARM not x86, which probably explains why it's so inexpensive.
Might make a good "training wheels" for all the other ARM-based stuff out there, though.

--Patrick