I like some aspects of reddit, but my goodness it's such a negative place. I have quit going there several times because it just makes me feel negative afterwards. I should really only use it for local stuff. There is a thread that updates weekend events near where I live, which is super useful.

I don't even really post there; I just lurk. I post here waaaay more frequently. So, I guess what I am saying is that I am taking a break again from that negative place.

Dave

Staff member
I really pick & choose where I go there. I have pretty thick skin so I just gloss over the negative stuff. I mostly look at silly shit these days.

Now, there was a time…

I'm cleaning out some of my deceased grandparents stuff and I come across this.

20230328_154921.jpg

I get a little excited at this massive wad of USD. I count it and it's 168 dollars. American bills throw off my Canadian sensibilities where the smallest bills we got are fives.

I'm cleaning out some of my deceased grandparents stuff and I come across this.

View attachment 44312

I get a little excited at this massive wad of USD. I count it and it's 168 dollars. American bills throw off my Canadian sensibilities where the smallest bills we got are fives.
Those 2 dollar bills are worth hanging on to. I know folks collect them. Heck, the old 5s might be collectable too.

Any of the older (small portrait) bills might be collectable, depending on audience.

Old style:
1680046646071.png

New style:
1680046801429.png

...as well as any that say not just "Twenty Dollars" but "Will pay to bearer on demand: Twenty Dollars"

--Patrick

So a few weeks ago, a guy sent us his CV and applied for a job in my department. However, his CV and cover letter made it sound like he's looking for a job completely unrelated to my department (eg. we're translation editors, and he talks about how much he wants to be, say, a financial analyst), and he even put the wrong company name in his cover letter. He does, however, have the necessary background and qualifications to work as a translation editor, so I suggested we have him do our written test first. Except when our HR person contacted him to ask him to do the test, he left us on read.

Yesterday he sent us his CV again. Our HR person asked why he didn't respond last time, and he said he was busy with his move to Taiwan, but now he's settled, and he's ready to seriously apply for jobs again. Our HR person asked me if we should give him another chance to take the test.

On the one hand, he does have the background and qualifications. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to really want this job all that much. On yet another hand, we're short-handed so we could use the new blood. On a fourth hand, a guy who doesn't want to be here and doesn't take the work seriously may not actually help us that much, and might even create more work for the rest of us. On a fifth hand I had hidden behind my back, I saw a photo of him and he's rather handsome.

So would you guys give him another chance?

So a few weeks ago, a guy sent us his CV and applied for a job in my department. However, his CV and cover letter made it sound like he's looking for a job completely unrelated to my department (eg. we're translation editors, and he talks about how much he wants to be, say, a financial analyst), and he even put the wrong company name in his cover letter. He does, however, have the necessary background and qualifications to work as a translation editor, so I suggested we have him do our written test first. Except when our HR person contacted him to ask him to do the test, he left us on read.

Yesterday he sent us his CV again. Our HR person asked why he didn't respond last time, and he said he was busy with his move to Taiwan, but now he's settled, and he's ready to seriously apply for jobs again. Our HR person asked me if we should give him another chance to take the test.

On the one hand, he does have the background and qualifications. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to really want this job all that much. On yet another hand, we're short-handed so we could use the new blood. On a fourth hand, a guy who doesn't want to be here and doesn't take the work seriously may not actually help us that much, and might even create more work for the rest of us. On a fifth hand I had hidden behind my back, I saw a photo of him and he's rather handsome.

Sure, give him a shot.

GasBandit

Staff member

I'd at least let him take the test and see how he does in an in-person interview. If you decide his heart's not really into it, you can low ball him on the offer to get him to go away. Or just straight up say "Thanks but we don't think you'd be a good fit."

Not "make bhamv question his heterosexuality" handsome, but definitely "sneak another peek if bhamv sees him in the street" handsome.

Funnily enough it was the way of Canadian bills that were more interesting. I don't even remember most of these bills.

I also found pounds of old coins. Silver dollars, 50 cent pieces.

My grandpa was an avid old money collector and I didn't know.

I also found their wills. APPARENTLY my brothers and I (and our cousin, the grandkids) were supposed to get a cut of the estate. Our parents are such dickholes.

Attachments

Last edited:
I also found their wills. APPARENTLY my brothers and I (and our cousin, the grandkids) were supposed to get a cut of the estate. Our parents are such dickholes.
I talked to my aunt about this and she's as shocked as I was that dad hid (stole) thousands and thousands of dollars from my brothers and I. She gave her inheritance to her son and his family. It helped pay for their house.

So cool I guess, my dad stole 20,000 dollars from me, while I was struggling worse than I've ever struggled in my life meanwhile pleading poverty the whole time.

You can't pick your parents.

I've seen fully grown adults getting into physical fights over inheritance shit. It's awful. I've told my folks I ain't fighting over your stuff.

Sorry your folks did that to you. Greed is powerful.

That money would have paid off my debts and left me free and clear. Any job I could find would make it. I'd be like Homer in the episode of the Simpsons where he gets his dream job at the bowling alley.

My dad stole that and my confidence and so much more from me through my life. As if my opinion of him could be lower. I guess I shouldn't be surprised by his behavior at this point. I'm always told by everyone else that he does love us he just doesn't know how to show it. OBVIOUSLY. I'm not even angry, just determined to never speak to him again.

(Also, if I inferred my mom was involved, she wasn't. They divorced 28 years ago, after my dad abandoned us till we (my brothers and I) were adults. My mom has her issues as a mother, but she at least put a roof over our heads and food in our stomachs, most of the time.)

It’s not a comparable situation to Frank, but I remember when my grandma died, my brother and I each got checks in the mail for about 5k. Since I was a little kid, I didn’t comprehend how much money that was other than “with this, I can get that new game boy game I want!” My mom was like “yeah you can get that,” took me to the store and bought me the game I wanted and I have no idea what happened to the rest of that money. My parents have supported me to the point where I don’t even care if they just took it, but I didn’t think about it until so much later that there’s no point in asking.

Yeah, my grandparents had bought us all bonds and stuff so we'd have a leg up when we were adults but those got used to buy us school clothes and stuff when we were really struggling after the aforementioned abandonment. I don't begrudge my mom any of that kind of thing.

Anyways, sorry for turning the GD random crap thread into the rant thread.....was just supposed to be fun with old paper money I found going through paperwork in my grandparent's old safe.