[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

Since I've been in Texas I've gotten a ton of Amber alerts; like way more than I ever got in Michigan. This is the first time I've seen a Blue Alert? For an injured officer? I didn't even know this was a thing.
IMG_1141.jpeg

figmentPez

Staff member
Since I've been in Texas I've gotten a ton of Amber alerts; like way more than I ever got in Michigan. This is the first time I've seen a Blue Alert? For an injured officer? I didn't even know this was a thing.
View attachment 45815
"Blue Alert" is trending on Twitter because that alert went out to ALL of Texas, not just the Houston area.

Shit like this is an abuse of the system, and should not be allowed, but Texas Republicans love to lick boots.

If you're going to send out statewide alerts to EVERYONE to be on the lookout for anyone involved in a shooting:
- expect a lot more "accidental" deaths of (innocent black) people
- expect a lot more "taking the law into my own hands" style Punisher vigilantes
- expect a lot more people getting damn tired of getting 500 messages a day.

View attachment 45815
Just to be clear, I'm not the only person that needed to read that first sentence of the alert twice to clarify that it wasn't the sheriff's office that injured the officer, right?

Just to be clear, I'm not the only person that needed to read that first sentence of the alert twice to clarify that it wasn't the sheriff's office that injured the officer, right?
My first parsing of that sentence was that Terran Green was a town/area and the office did the injuring, yeah.

figmentPez

Staff member
Antioch and Pittsburg [California] police officers arrested by FBI

"A sweeping investigation began in early 2022 as a narrow probe into officers who allegedly cheated on college tests to obtain salary raises. FBI agents dug into the cheating scandal and opened a 'Pandora’s Box' of unethical and criminal behavior among officers, a source told KRON4."
Six officers “claimed they earned college credits toward degrees, when in fact, they hired people to take classes and exams for them,”

They are also charged with illegally selling anabolic steroids, obstructing a federal investigation, and a huge list of civil rights violations.

"The officers are accused of collecting trophies from shooting scenes, writing racist text messages, excessively deploying K9 units to attack suspects, using a 40mm launchers as “punishment,” and intentionally leaving their body-worn cameras off. " They texted each other about all of this, bragging about how violent they were.

I've tried to come up with words on how angry cops driving into people making me, every time I see it but I give up.

(never when they're red necks blocking the border to the US in southern Alberta over Covid, the RCMP gave them coffee and donuts)

Cops in Ohio shoot and kill a 21 year old pregnant black woman. Grocery store employee called the cops alleging shoplifting, so 2 cops decide to block her in in her car & yell at her to "get out of the fucking car", with one of the officers standing in front of it pointing his gun through the windshield. When the woman attempts to drive off - because, hey, she's black & a cop is pointing a gun at her, she knows if she stays she's going to get shot - the bodycam footage clearly shows her turning the steering wheel all the way to the right before slowly starting to move off. The only reason she was heading for the cop was because he was standing in front of her car refusing to move & she was still clearly trying to avoid him. Cops are still trying to justify the killing as defending against "attempted vehicular assault".

I've tried to come up with words on how angry cops driving into people making me, every time I see it but I give up.
Yeah, funny how it's never a crime when they do it.

Cops in Ohio shoot and kill a 21 year old pregnant black woman. Grocery store employee called the cops alleging shoplifting, so 2 cops decide to block her in in her car & yell at her to "get out of the fucking car", with one of the officers standing in front of it pointing his gun through the windshield. When the woman attempts to drive off - because, hey, she's black & a cop is pointing a gun at her, she knows if she stays she's going to get shot - the bodycam footage clearly shows her turning the steering wheel all the way to the right before slowly starting to move off. The only reason she was heading for the cop was because he was standing in front of her car refusing to move & she was still clearly trying to avoid him. Cops are still trying to justify the killing as defending against "attempted vehicular assault".

Yeah, funny how it's never a crime when they do it.
As a manager is a grocery store, we have rules -against- calling the cops for this exact reason. The only time a regular employee should call the police is if someone has a weapon or is otherwise making them feel unsafe. For everything else they are to stay out of it and inform a manager.

I handle shoplifters all the time and never have I felt that the police could help in any way. The only times I've called the police have been people harassing employees and refusing to leave

As a manager is a grocery store, we have rules -against- calling the cops for this exact reason. The only time a regular employee should call the police is if someone has a weapon or is otherwise making them feel unsafe. For everything else they are to stay out of it and inform a manager.

I handle shoplifters all the time and never have I felt that the police could help in any way. The only times I've called the police have been people harassing employees and refusing to leave
That's pretty insane.
To be clear, I understand where that's coming from and all that, and it's absolutely warranted...But it's absolutely insane. Shoplifting is a typical small crime, and it's exactly the sort of thing police should be good for. Between security cameras and perhaps body cams of the officers who arrived if they met her (as in this case), making a calm and peaceful arrest afterwards, slapping a fine on her, and getting the shop reimbursed should be super duper easy and safe. In any (other) civilized country shoplifting is typically one of those things you absolutely always call the cops for, or you just confront the perpetrator and have them pay it back immediately. That US police can't be counted on for this sort of thing is actively working against safety concerns.

Shoplifting -> caught -> call cops -> fine, registration as offender, whatever -> no repeat, people learn it's not a good idea
Shoplifting -> caught -> call cops -> person DIES => shoplifting -> shops don't call cops because they don't think $50 of groceries is worth a life -> no reaction -> shoplifting cycle continues -> everyone unhappy

Our cops are far from perfect. There's some power abusing assholes there, sometimes they're completely useless, sometimes they're a rotten nest of racist fuckers. but this thread just near-continuously gives me the impression US cops are nothing more than a sanctioned extortionist gang.

Remember - if you see someone shoplifting in a megacorp grocery store, no you fucking didn't.
Honestly, I feel like some people always imagine thieves as often well off people that just get greedy or steal as some kind of thrill. Maybe this is just a consequence of movies and TV often portraying them as such, like in Die Hard or Oceans Eleven.

Most people that steal do so out of desperation. When you have 20$ in the bank for the rest of the week and no food in the house for your kids, you do whatever you have to do, either by stealing groceries or other things that you can sell for that grocery money.

This is why social safety nets are important. Crime would plummet if we could guarantee the poorest among us will always have good food on the table. We don't though, because we would prefer some of us to suffer so some rich asshole can afford his six summer homes.

I wish you COULD arrange it. It'd help prevent the train wreck that was 2013 GasBandit.
To be fair, I think we ALL would, given the chance, love go back to our past self at some time and give them a good talking to. I would give almost anything to go back to 1995 Celt Z, and be like, "Girrrrrlllll.....".

GasBandit

Staff member
To be fair, I think we ALL would, given the chance, love go back to our past self at some time and give them a good talking to. I would give almost anything to go back to 1995 Celt Z, and be like, "Girrrrrlllll.....".
True enough. Everybody probably needs to send their past self some variation of "here are the numbers of an oncologist and a divorce lawyer," to varying degrees.

Police in Minnesota are throwing a hissy fit because a new law says they can’t just choke out kids whenever they want. So they’re pulling out of schools completely.

And hopefully they stay gone.