[Gaming] Upcoming games you are excited for, wary about, dreading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad news on Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. It's pretty much just a visual reskin with a new island and story, and it's going to be short.

Less thrilled now.

I'll have to see how much it is before giving it a chance. A full, new game I would've gone for, but this expansion, even if standalone? I already have Far Cry 3, so we'll have to see.

On other upcoming stuff: I ignored Donkey Kong Country Returns when it came out because we'd gotten rid of our Wii already, but now that it's coming to 3DS I'm having a hard time looking away. It looks fun. Why does it have to look fun? Damn you, fun.

Well, at least it'll have proper controls on the 3DS and not have that shoehorned wii-mote waggling fuckery that ruins so many Wii games.

Well, at least it'll have proper controls on the 3DS and not have that shoehorned wii-mote waggling fuckery that ruins so many Wii games.
That's exactly what I was thinking of when reading people's discussion of the Wii U Gamepad. Both Wiimote and Gamepad shouldn't be forced onto games that are better off with a more traditional controller.

And on that note, I'll be looking forward to the 3DS Smash Brothers whenever it comes around. Brawl's controls responded poorly compared to Melee, and I think anyone can guess why. And yeah, I know there was the classic controller, but I didn't have that. It's shameful that the lead developer recommended people use a peripheral controller rather than the console's main controller. He must have tried playing his own game with the Wiimote.

I say that as someone who loved the Wiimote when it worked. Resident Evil 4? Okami? Metroid Prime 3? The Wiimote was perfect. Twilight Princess, Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart (unless you had enough wheels for everyone), not so much.

That's exactly what I was thinking of when reading people's discussion of the Wii U Gamepad. Both Wiimote and Gamepad shouldn't be forced onto games that are better off with a more traditional controller.

And on that note, I'll be looking forward to the 3DS Smash Brothers whenever it comes around. Brawl's controls responded poorly compared to Melee, and I think anyone can guess why. And yeah, I know there was the classic controller, but I didn't have that. It's shameful that the lead developer recommended people use a peripheral controller rather than the console's main controller. He must have tried playing his own game with the Wiimote.

I say that as someone who loved the Wiimote when it worked. Resident Evil 4? Okami? Metroid Prime 3? The Wiimote was perfect. Twilight Princess, Smash Brothers Brawl, Mario Kart (unless you had enough wheels for everyone), not so much.
If you had Melee, why not use the gamecube controller?

We didn't have Melee; it was at my mom's house. We had one Gamecube controller and I let my wife use it as opposed to hogging it since she would have a worse time with the Wiimote than me.

That said, when I did use the GC controller I still felt the character movements were not as responsive as with Melee. They moved more fluid and slidey. I'm not sure how to explain it. I felt the same when I played New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS.

They intentionally slowed Brawl down to make it more newcomer friendly. So the slowness is actually intentional.
I'm sure that's the same for New Super Mario Bros 2.

I hate the feel of it thought. It plays like ass in my opinion.

Has anyone played the new Donkey Kong on Wii? Is it the same way? I'd like to know before I shell out for it on 3DS in case they don't release a demo.

It's hard as fuck (part of which comes down to having to shake the wiimote to do the ground pound move....that there's no option to map that to a button makes me fucking angry) and generally, I think, pretty fucking good. I think on 3DS without the waggle bullshit, it might be really exceptional.

To be fair to Twilight Princess, it was designed for the GameCube with the motion stuff slapped on after the game was already finished. I still think that Skyward Sword did a much better job of incorporating the wiimote properly.

To be fair to Twilight Princess, it was designed for the GameCube with the motion stuff slapped on after the game was already finished. I still think that Skyward Sword did a much better job of incorporating the wiimote properly.
I agree, but "motion stuff slapped on" is how a few Wii games felt. Eventually it came into its own. Hopefully the Wii U will do the same.

More bad Batman Arkham Origins news. Kevin Conroy will not be voicing Batman, because the company didn't want him voicing a younger Batman.

This sure is a company that makes good decisions!

Somehow this game is coming to 3DS ... wooooo ...

I've never understood that line of thinking. You know who's voice doesn't change a huge amount from their 20's to their 30's or 40's?

MOST PEOPLE. Unless you're a heavy drinker or smoker. And if your voice does deepen some, it sure as fuck doesn't sound like a completely different person.

Animal Crossing:New Leaf. Heard about it 2 weeks ago, today stopped at the local gamestop on the way home and paid in full for the special edition 3DSXL and game. I am going to get flack when it comes in June.

Animal Crossing:New Leaf. Heard about it 2 weeks ago, today stopped at the local gamestop on the way home and paid in full for the special edition 3DSXL and game. I am going to get flack when it comes in June.
I do hope you enjoy the game and all, but man that's the ugliest 3DS ever.

I've never understood that line of thinking. You know who's voice doesn't change a huge amount from their 20's to their 30's or 40's?

MOST PEOPLE. Unless you're a heavy drinker or smoker. And if your voice does deepen some, it sure as fuck doesn't sound like a completely different person.
Plus this guy's a professional voice actor. He can probably handle voicing a younger version of his Batman voice if asked to.

Ezio Auditore was voiced by the same guy from age 17 to age 65, covering three games and one short film. His voice changes noticeably from the young 17-year-old voice to the gravelly voice at 65. Don't tell me Kevin Conroy isn't capable of something similar.

Basically. Conroy gets paid premium bucks for Batman roles. This is because he is THE voice of Batman for this generation. It's not batman without him.
Except the times when he's not, like The Batman series (the later one, not BTAS), Brave & the Bold, and numerous DC animated movies, all of which did a fine job without Conroy.

Honestly, I don't see the big hullabaloo. I'm not saying the game will be great, but it's not the end of the world to have a different voice actor.

GasBandit

Staff member
Except the times when he's not, like The Batman series (the later one, not BTAS), Brave & the Bold, and numerous DC animated movies, all of which did a fine job without Conroy.

Honestly, I don't see the big hullabaloo. I'm not saying the game will be great, but it's not the end of the world to have a different voice actor.
Allow me to speak for everyone when I say

It isn't usually a big deal when some new property uses a different voice. I mean, yeah, you still get your normal, "NO CONROY, BLARGHLGHG" folk but that's anything with Batman now. It's an issue when it's something in the same series just deciding to up and change voices.

Ok guys, Batman: TAS is going in a new direction for it's third season. He will now be voiced by Topher Grace!

Eh, if it was by the exact same developers, then I could agree. But Rocksteady's not involved with this, so I don't really consider this the same canon as the previous Arkham games (see also: Bioshock 2). At this point, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until I see what the full game will be like.

Dave

Staff member
The new Carmageddon: Reincarnation. I pitched in to the kickstarter. I can hardly wait.

This was an "in progress" video from last june.

Other than that, I dunno.. Saints Row 4 maybe? We'll see.
Whoa whoa whoa! How did I miss this? I fracking LOVED Carmageddon!

GasBandit

Staff member
Um... Alien Invasion in Saints Row 4? Apparently? Huh.

Wouldn't that be sort of like, oh, I dunno, the next Metroid sequel having gangbangers and street crime?

I didn't like SR3 as much as 2. Not only was it way more over the top than the last game, but you got way too many gifts and power-ups far too early. It didn't feel like I earned a lot of stuff. In terms of the silliness, I liked SR2 because it was semi-serious, but allowed you to get silly. Like a straight man trying to deal with insane nutjobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.