Video Game News and Miscellany

I don't like running more than one always-on-DRM solution on my PC. I don't even like doing so with steam, but I suffer it because of the low prices.
Steam is honestly the most "ethical" of the services in my eyes, with my main worry being what will happen to it when Gaben eventually dies.

Steam is honestly the most "ethical" of the services in my eyes, with my main worry being what will happen to it when Gaben eventually dies.
I mean... Valve is employee owned, last I checked. He might own the most, but he's not the only one with ownership... it just depends on if others have enough combined to influence things.

I mean... Valve is employee owned, last I checked. He might own the most, but he's not the only one with ownership... it just depends on if others have enough combined to influence things.
Gaben owns the majority stock, and corporate laws about who gets that when he goes is kinda spotty. It very well might end up in a trust divided up by some entity, and I don't doubt capitalism's power to ruin it

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection

Holy crap.

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan (Game Boy)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)

GasBandit

Staff member
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection

Holy crap.

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (NES)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of The Foot Clan (Game Boy)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy)
• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)

I wonder if they are going to fix that bug in TMNT NES that makes it unwinnable on an emulator.

Edit - oh wait, that was the DOS version.

figmentPez

Staff member
Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed an upcoming 4 vs 1 asymmetrical shooter has been announced.

Trailer:

Pre-alpha gameplay

I look forward to hearing about how the concept gets ruined by microtransactions, server woes, and long lines to play as a ghost.

I look forward to hearing about how the concept gets ruined by microtransactions, server woes, and long lines to play as a ghost.
For the record, this is being done by the same people who did the Friday the 13th (which is interesting and fun, but deeply flawed and cut down in it's prime by the then on-going lawsuit over the series rights) and Predator (which, again, was interesting but also flawed) asymmetrical games. They aren't super into microtransactions... but they also haven't positively hit one out of the park yet ether.

Ghostbusters Spirits Unleashed an upcoming 4 vs 1 asymmetrical shooter has been announced.

Trailer:

Pre-alpha gameplay

Looks like Midnight Ghost Hunt

Wow, this game looks up my alley....and whoever that is voicing Spock? Mwah. I think I hear Tom Kane's voice, but I'm not sure.

It is not. It's some dude named Piotr Michael.

Last edited:
Man... all that raytracing to slut it up with bloom and ridiculous colored light sources to make it look like a 2001 Voodoo1 tech demo.
To be fair, a lot of those lighting effects wouldn't be possible on a voodoo1.

I think what's neat here is it shows how raytracing is able to simulate lighting effects in rendered spaces that were not built for it, creating basically an ad-hoc lighting engine on top of the game engine already running.

But for modern games I think it's still usually hard to tell the difference, at least in advanced engines that already have fancy lighting effects built in.

GasBandit

Staff member
Does "picks up where Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge left off" mean they'll be ignoring Curse, Escape and Tales?
Maybe that means it takes place between MI2 and Curse, because obviously something happened between being cursed to believe he was a child in the modern era, and sailing back into the pirate-age bay in a bumper car.

The mobile Shining Force game is cancelled. Probably for the best, I'm tired of mobile cash grabs trying to milk nostalgia for a cash grab.

I feel the same way about mobile games these days. I refuse to give money to any of these shitty games that try to nickel-and-dime customers at every turn… and that describes most of the mobile market.

I feel the same way about mobile games these days. I refuse to give money to any of these shitty games that try to nickel-and-dime customers at every turn… and that describes most of the mobile market.
...and a good chunk of the non-mobile market for good measure.

GasBandit

Staff member
I love horror games, I love exploration games, I thought I could handle it.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope
I'm not saying I pissed myself during the first Subnautica game.

But I'm not saying I didn't, either.

"Hull breach detected."

Edit: Here, watch me futilely panic-drill the face of a Reaper Leviathan as it tries to eat my Prawn.

Last edited:
@GasBandit

Hardspace: Shipbreaker leaves Early Access and officially launches on May 24.

It will also be on Game Pass day 1 for folks with that.

Final Campaign Act Added - A powerful and satisfying conclusion to the events set in motion over the course of Act’s One and Two.

Save & Load Ships - Save your in-progress salvage! No more losing value on a behemoth ship because you need to step away.

Improved Progression, Economy & Upgrades - With the help of our fantastic community, the pace of progress has been tuned to perfection

Improved Performance & Stability - We’ve diligently worked out a ship-load of kinks to provide the smoothest and most reliable version of the game yet

Steam Achievements / Trading Cards / Emoticons / Backgrounds - Show-off your salvaging prowess with these rewards.
Quick reminder that this update will be the final progression reset