Video Game News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
Oh man. I remember that issue. I was an avid reader of Nintendo Power magazine back from when it was just the Nintendo Fun Club newsletter, up through the early parts of the SNES era.

I have/had issues 1-100+ in various states of repair. I kept them mostly because that's what I learned to read with and I was sentimentally attached to them but I've thrown away more than a few of them simply because they were basically destroyed from years of reading and re-reading.

figmentPez

Staff member
Tomb Raider, in full 3D, has been (partially) ported to the Gameboy Advance. The frame rate is pretty low, but not single digits most of the time, which is pretty freaking impressive.

So far only 3 levels have been ported, but the programmer responsible says there's no reason to believe the whole game can't be done.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to play Tomb Raider this way, but damn this is some impressive programming.

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, that is big news... but mostly the story is that Microsoft keeps spending a LOT of money to buy game devs that peaked over a decade ago and have been coasting on their laurels ever since *cough*Mojang*cough*

I mean, that is big news... but mostly the story is that Microsoft keeps spending a LOT of money to buy game devs that peaked over a decade ago and have been coasting on their laurels ever since *cough*Mojang*cough*
It makes sense if they want to grow their Live Gaming library though. Getting older, classic titles running on modern Windows systems via Live Gaming would give them a very big edge, especially when it's suddenly stuff no one else can get modern sequels to.

It also makes sense for them to buy a lot of classic IPs for other devs to work on. Other than Halo, is there any other brand closely associated with Microsoft?

Bobby Kotick escaping with hundreds of millions of dollars after all that shit pisses me off so much. None of this is good. The only upside is maybe Toys for Bob can come out of the Call of Duty mines.

Kotick: "Hmm, do I try to make some real, actual positive changes within the company? Nah, I should buy some game outlets so they stop saying bad things about me."

The sooner Kotick is out the better. Fuck him.

I've been using Teams for the last 4 weeks for work and it's literally the worst fucking program I've ever used. I wish everyone whose ever had a hand in it's creation, coding, upkeep, implementation, etc would all get a terrible case of debilitating syphilis.

We did that switch for our acquisition. My disdain for Teams stems mostly from losing our custom emojis, which very much mirrored our overall shift in culture with the acquisition, and that it just visually feels clunky as hell but it works, I guess.
Oh, and the fucking search in teams is dog shit.
And the file preview

Fuck, now I'm just mad.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is such a wild thing to see:

Former President of Playstation Studios, tweeting excitement about a portable Linux based gaming PC, running a Windows port of a previously Playstation exclusive series.

In some ways this is stranger than Sonic and Mario in the same game.

Wait what? Wasn't Bungie part of Microsoft?
Bungie was purchased by Microsoft back when it was still young and developing Halo, but then after the original Halo Trilogy, they decided they wanted to move on and develop Destiny, so they made a deal with Microsoft to let them go independent as long as Microsoft got to keep Halo. (This is what started Halo's current developer, 343 Industries.) After that, Bungie formed a partnership with Activision to develop Destiny and Destiny 2, but after Bungie realized Activision was not doing much for them, they used an escape clause in their contract to leave the partnership while retaining Destiny. Now they are being purchased by Sony.

figmentPez

Staff member
Interesting line in the patch notes for the Steam Beta:

Library
  • Game details screen will now show disk space required for games that are not installed
I imagine this is in preparation for the Steam Deck, and the limited storage space that will be common for those users, but holy crap why wasn't this a feature before?

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, when you go to install a game, ordinarily a new window would pop up telling you the space required, and give you a pulldown of all your available install locations with their available space. I'm guessing with the Deck's interface, it'd just be more convenient to just list the space right on the details page.