Video Game News and Miscellany

EA are giving up the FIFA license.

They say "At the moment, we engage in play as a primary form of interactive experience. Soon, watching and creating content are going to be equally as important for fans.
"Under the licensing conventions that we had agreed with Fifa 10 years ago, there were some restrictions that weren't going to allow us to be able to build those experiences for players."

So if you thought FIFA was bad with all the DLC, loot boxes, NFT's, and whatever the next 'alternative revenue scheme' turns out to be, EA Sports FC is going to be even worse.

New Grounded update, now with bug raids and jumping insects. The latter is bad for me because that means less kiting bugs like wolf spiders. And they're aiming to officially release 1.0 sometime later this year.

From the comments:

FAQ
- Is it real time? No, it's a high-res render (around 7 frames per second). I can run it in real time (30-50 fps 1440p for daytime), but image quality is worse. It's not particularly optimized anyway, you could get better performance with a little more work
- Specs? RTX 2080, Ryzen 7 3700x.
- Breakdown? I'm working on it, but it'll probably be a post on my Artstation.
- How long did it take? About a month.
- How did you record the camera? I used a VR controller for motion tracking. Check out this channel, lots of good virtual camera tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1VkeaEzlDzOvlOA57JuKyQ

Last edited:
I saw part of this video posted to reddit with a caption something like: "Video games 3 years from now are going to be amazing."

--Patrick

• Agree
Reactions: Far
Yeah, it's a great render but we're not getting games that look anything like this any time soon. I'd wager much further than 3 years.

Realistically, I imagine we're still years away from even film looking like that.

Last edited:
LOL, I backed Eiyunden Chronicles way back when. Did my back survey, etc. Now I see that the game is out and I never received my code. I go to see the problem and the shit ass company doing the fulfillment isn't giving out codes yet.

Don't back shit on Kickstarter.

I thought, "Well, this looks entertainingly silly."

...and then they got to the end, and I thought, "Ok, that's practically blasphemy. A real '...what a savings' moment."
I still think it looks like a bunch of silly fun, I just really wish they hadn't done that.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Eh, I lost all interest in MultiVersus when I learned it was going to be F2P and saddled with every sort of exploitative, microtransaction, grindy bullshit that has ever burdened a video game.

There are so many neat looking Warhammer games going on right now. Maybe this scattershot, let anyone take a crack at Warhammer method that GW has been going for for years now is working.

Boltgun looks rad AF too

PlayStation's Spider-Man is coming to PC

WHOA. Did not expect this. I honestly thought Sony would have a tight hold on this game, since Spider-Man is a major, exclusive cash cow for them. This very game caused PS4 sales to skyrocket at the time. Hell, it convinced me to finally buy one.
It's possible they've decided that everyone who's gonna buy it for Playstation already has, so they can try to sell it to the PC gamers too now.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's possible they've decided that everyone who's gonna buy it for Playstation already has, so they can try to sell it to the PC gamers too now.
That and Sony is also predicting huge growth in the PC gaming market. They've even released software to patch the firmware of PS5 Dualsense controllers on PC (which tipped the scales for me getting one while they were on sale recently).

Sony estimates its PC games sales will jump 375% over next year

PlayStation's Spider-Man is coming to PC

WHOA. Did not expect this. I honestly thought Sony would have a tight hold on this game, since Spider-Man is a major, exclusive cash cow for them. This very game caused PS4 sales to skyrocket at the time. Hell, it convinced me to finally buy one.
Sony has slowly been moving a lot of their games onto PC. Horizon, God of War, lots of formerly PS exclusives are now also available on PC. Much like Microsoft, they've figured out that PC Gaming doesn't take business away from their consoles, it only adds to it.

Also, it's not like anyone can buy a PS5, might as well get PC Gamers instead.

Been fun watching streamers/YouTubers absolutely destroy the cash grab monstrosity that is Diablo Immortal. Just everything about it was designed to prey on FOMO. I'm glad I have no desire to play it.