Video Game News and Miscellany

Starting from September 1, 2022, Ubisoft is shutting down the online services of some of their older games. What does "shutting down the online services" mean? It means you won't be able to use online features and play multiplayer any more. It also means you will not be able to download DLC that you have bought. Have you bought the DLC for Assassin's Creed 3 or Brotherhood? Better download and install it before September 1!

Or, better yet, take this as the definitive sign that you should never buy anything from Ubisoft ever again.

Bit of an update/clarification on this particular issue. It's not that you won't be able to download DLCs for certain Ubisoft games after September 1. Instead, you won't be able to play it at all. Even if you download the game or DLC before September 1, you will not be able to launch it after that date.

Last I checked my pre order will be available in october. Kinda on the fence about it but overall I think I'd like it
Mine was very much a "Well I'll put the pre-order in and we'll see." Time came and I was in the middle of fighting covid so figured I'd get myself a little gift.

Now that I've spent a few days with it I'm pretty happy with it. Build quality is pretty solid. The screen on the 512GB unit is really nice, and great at minimizing glare making playing outdoors much easier.

That said, remote-playing anything that has text is a grainy nightmare but direct downloading has been no problem at all. I've installed and played Rocket League, a confirmed-to-work game, and Mass Effect Legendary Edition, this probably will but you might run into issues one, and both have played flawlessly from the deck.

Battery life ranges depending on what you're playing. At 89% and just over half brightness Mass Effect is giving a projected 3-hour 42-minute playtime before it dies, Rocket League 2 hours, Hades 3 hours.

Reactions: Cat
Mine was very much a "Well I'll put the pre-order in and we'll see." Time came and I was in the middle of fighting covid so figured I'd get myself a little gift.

Now that I've spent a few days with it I'm pretty happy with it. Build quality is pretty solid. The screen on the 512GB unit is really nice, and great at minimizing glare making playing outdoors much easier.

That said, remote-playing anything that has text is a grainy nightmare but direct downloading has been no problem at all. I've installed and played Rocket League, a confirmed-to-work game, and Mass Effect Legendary Edition, this probably will but you might run into issues one, and both have played flawlessly from the deck.

Battery life ranges depending on what you're playing. At 89% and just over half brightness Mass Effect is giving a projected 3-hour 42-minute playtime before it dies, Rocket League 2 hours, Hades 3 hours.
Have you tried playing any non steam games on it?

Have you tried playing any non steam games on it?
Not yet, I tried to get league to work and it was a headache so have given up on that for now. Technically I've read the easiest thing to do is just add it as a non-steam game to steam and have it handle most of the grunt work, it's where separate launchers make things tricky.

Reactions: Cat
Not yet, I tried to get league to work and it was a headache so have given up on that for now. Technically I've read the easiest thing to do is just add it as a non-steam game to steam and have it handle most of the grunt work, it's where separate launchers make things tricky.
Oh if you can still do that it'll be perfect for me. Haven't had a problem running any of my gog games through steam to use the steam controller

figmentPez

Staff member
Ship of Harkinian has recieved a major update. PC gamer article

This is a fan-made PC port of Ocarina of Time. The source code for LoZ:OoT was reverse engineered, without any use of the leaked data from Nintendo, and this port of the game is based on that.

New features include:
- Unlocked 60fps+ framerate
- No forced Navi
- Difficulty options
- Built-in randomizer
- Varioius quality-of-life enhancements, cheats, and bug fixes

Ship of Harkinian has recieved a major update. PC gamer article

This is a fan-made PC port of Ocarina of Time. The source code for LoZ:OoT was reverse engineered, without any use of the leaked data from Nintendo, and this port of the game is based on that.

New features include:
- Unlocked 60fps+ framerate
- No forced Navi
- Difficulty options
- Built-in randomizer
- Varioius quality-of-life enhancements, cheats, and bug fixes
If this works the same way as the Mario 64 reverse engineer port, you still need a rom of the game, either obtained illegally or ripped from a cartridge you own. It's the game engine that was reverse engineered to run on PC without emulation, it still has to import the game assets into it.

figmentPez

Staff member
If this works the same way as the Mario 64 reverse engineer port, you still need a rom of the game, either obtained illegally or ripped from a cartridge you own. It's the game engine that was reverse engineered to run on PC without emulation, it still has to import the game assets into it.
That is indeed how it works.

figmentPez

Staff member
Unity is merging with ironSource, a company known for making a malware installer

Game developers using the Unity engine are now worried that this will turn Unity into a malware installer.

Popular games that run on Unity include:
- Hearthstone
- Cuphead
- Subnautica
- Ori and the Blind Forest / Will of the Wisps
- Bendy and the Ink Machine
- Beat Saber
- Hollow Knight
- Cities Skylines
- Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
- Inside
and hundreds of others.

Unity is merging with ironSource, a company known for making a malware installer

Game developers using the Unity engine are now worried that this will turn Unity into a malware installer.

Popular games that run on Unity include:
- Hearthstone
- Cuphead
- Subnautica
- Ori and the Blind Forest / Will of the Wisps
- Bendy and the Ink Machine
- Beat Saber
- Hollow Knight
- Cities Skylines
- Getting Over It with Bennett Foddy
- Inside
and hundreds of others.
Unity really doing they best to make sure Unreal becomes the defacto licensed engine

John Ricatello (spelling is probably wrong) former dude in charge of EA's most avaricious days (multiplayer being locked for used purchases, you remember used games, how they would end the game industry?) is CEO of Unity.

UK Government: Hmm, I wonder if I should regulate loot boxes under gambling laws?

Also UK Government: Oh look, my report into loot boxes clearly shows a link between loot boxes & problem gambling.

Also also UK Government: Eh, I'm sure it'll be fine. The video game industry will regularly that themselves so I don't need to do anything.

Me: depressed maniacal laughter

John Ricatello (spelling is probably wrong) former dude in charge of EA's most avaricious days (multiplayer being locked for used purchases, you remember used games, how they would end the game industry?) is CEO of Unity.
He just in the news last week for saying that any game developer who doesn’t put microtransactions and other forms of aggressive monetization in their game is a “fucking idiot.”

figmentPez

Staff member
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Cowabunga Collection

Comes out Aug 30th for PC (Steam), Nintendo Switch, Playstatino 4/5, and Xbox One/Series

No official pricing yet, but rumors say $40

Includes 13 games:
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
  • TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (NES)
  • TMNT II: The Arcade Game (NES)
  • TMNT III: The Manhattan Project (NES)
  • TMNT: Tournament Fighters (NES)
  • TMNT IV: Turtles in Time (Super Nintendo)
  • TMNT: Tournament Fighters (Super Nintendo)
  • TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist (Sega Genesis)
  • TMNT: Tournament Fighters (Sega Genesis)
  • TMNT: Fall of The Foot Clan (Game Boy)
  • TMNT II: Back From The Sewers (Game Boy)
  • TMNT III: Radical Rescue (Game Boy)