Weird weather

GasBandit

Staff member
You didn't get hit with a tornado? I'm so sorry for your lack of loss.
So, if I tell you that YOU are going to get hit by a tornado, and then you don't, should you be thankful to me?

I mean, I would have understood if there'd at least been a storm, or maybe even a cloud or two, but it was downright gorgeous outside.

The south sky was green and the north sky was BLACK!

My favorite restaurant just reopened. I think it was under the track of the storm.

Hell, I was supposed to get 2-3 inches of rain and severe thunderstorms all day. My grass is barely wet.

...where the heck did that storm track, right over the Mississippi?

...oh, wait. I didn't realize there were multiple towns named Onalaska. (I was thinking of the one north of LaCrosse, WI.)

I am tired of this biblical weather.

My front yard. It hailed so hard that it went from 80 degrees or more down to about 50. With really thick fog. Seconds later it was too foggy to shoot anything. With blue skies above.

This is supposed to be a cicada wave year in the Virginias, too.
But next year it's going to be the entire eastern half of the USA.

--Patrick
I spent every summer in Oklahoma growing up. Virginians merely adopted the cicada. I was born to it, molded by it. I did not hear a quiet summer until I was already a man, and by then to me, it was nothing but deafening.

My turn -- just got the hurricane warning alert. It's probably not a big deal, though the wind predictions have gone up a bit over the last 24 hours.

I forgot this gem from earlier today:

Weather app last night- there's going to be clouds tomorrow but no rain

Weather app when I wake up- er, actually, you're going to have some rain around 9 am. NBD

Phone buzzes around 10am- You need to go into your basment ASAP. Tornado may be touching down.

The good news is we're all fine and the tornado didn't touch down. The bad news is we did lose power for over 5 hours. Also, all this happened while Mr. Z was already at work, so I'm hauling ass down to the basement in my pj's, dragging my son and the dog who didn't want to go downstairs all by myself.

There is, as has been pretty usual in central AZ this time of year, some wildfires going around in spots of the state where (yes, we do have them) forests exist.

The Salt fire, however, is a little bit different. See, it happens to be in the area where some major transmission wires for the major power suppliers for the Valley (APS and SRP, for two) get a large amount of their supply from Roosevelt Dam and points East.

This resulted in the first time (since moving here) my power company has e-mailed me and requested that I reduce energy usage between 3-9 PM today, to prevent "(r)otating outages (that) happen when energy capacity does not meet customer energy demand."