What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
I picked up a ton of games during the sale and have started playing them.

Orcs Must Die 2: never played any of these. I love tower defense games and I REALLY want to like this game, bu the map layouts seem too small for any real pathing/traps, and there are usually 2 paths that can't overlap without using destroyable barricades. I'm going to keep playing it, but so far the maps are too small and too open.
OMD2 is a lot of fun, but it's meant to be played co-op with another person. There will be several levels that flat out have two completely separate paths that pretty much have to be watched by 2 people. Did you get OMD1 as well? It's more geared to single player and trapping, as opposed to OMD2's emphasis on co-op and personal combat.

Oh, and there are also levels in OMD2 which will pretty much have no chokepoints but the ones you make with barricades. IMO, the "self healing barricade" upgrade is mandatory.

See, now you're just oppressing all those by-choice womyn. You pawn of the WhiteCisMalePatriarchyMilitaryIndustrialComplexBushCheneyNeoconEvangelical NAZI.

While I absolutely agree using it (or demanding it being used) in all everyday conversation is extreme, there's a valid reason to have a specific term for it. In psychological or sociological studies, it's useful to have a defining, exclusionary name only for the "regular" type of woman, to prevent the language from becoming too unwieldy.
"Transgendered women face more discrimination than those women who are both biologically women and self-identify as women" is more cumbersome than "transgendered women face more discrimination than cisgendered women".
For example, "paraplegia" can be used for both actual paraplegia and hemiplegia (both are half-body paralysis, one being the lower half and the other being one side of the whole body). It's more accurate to separate the two, especially in medical scenarios.

Started Fire Emblem Awakening on lunatic for my second play through, can't even get through the tutorial battle lol.

Started Fire Emblem Awakening on lunatic for my second play through, can't even get through the tutorial battle lol.
I read up on Lunatic, I'm not even going to bother. Protip: If you get into the part where the random Risen spawn, DON'T FIGHT THEM. They're apparently all super-high level and every hit/kill gives only 1xp, regardless of your character's level.

I've been messing around in UNEpic. Holy shit, the difficulty of this game spikes so randomly. It's a decent game, but I can't see myself investing too much time in it with FE, FF7 and FF9 to play through.

CynicismKills said:
I read up on Lunatic, I'm not even going to bother. Protip: If you get into the part where the random Risen spawn, DON'T FIGHT THEM. They're apparently all super-high level and every hit/kill gives only 1xp, regardless of your character's level.
Well I just beat it on Classic Hard after setting it aside for a bit, but Lunatic is really stupid. It's one thing to be hard, it's another thing to only have one guy who can even consider getting in the tiniest bit of combat, until there is a dude with a hammer. Tks Chapter 1. ;)

Yeah, I reset the level if anyone dies. That's how Fire Emblem is meant to be played! :p
Yeah, and the last one I played (some translated ROM I think) I couldn't get past like the 10th battle 'cause I kept losing the characters I liked. I really need to get some money so I can find a copy of the Gamecube FE. I hear it's fantastic.

GasBandit

Staff member
While I absolutely agree using it (or demanding it being used) in all everyday conversation is extreme, there's a valid reason to have a specific term for it. In psychological or sociological studies, it's useful to have a defining, exclusionary name only for the "regular" type of woman, to prevent the language from becoming too unwieldy.
"Transgendered women face more discrimination than those women who are both biologically women and self-identify as women" is more cumbersome than "transgendered women face more discrimination than cisgendered women".
For example, "paraplegia" can be used for both actual paraplegia and hemiplegia (both are half-body paralysis, one being the lower half and the other being one side of the whole body). It's more accurate to separate the two, especially in medical scenarios.
They didn't need "cisgendered," the word already applicable is "regular." The point of giving it a fancy name is to make it sound as though it is just one of the options, instead of the default.

They didn't need "cisgendered," the word already applicable is "regular." The point of giving it a fancy name is to make it sound as though it is just one of the options, instead of the default.
It's actually more about exclusionary language and not being singled out than removing a "normal" point. Simply referring to it as "normal" instead of as the default is still using language that others the transgendered for something that hurts no one. This is not ethical behavior if you believe there is nothing wrong with people seeking gender reassignment.

I know transgendered people who are just as regular as you are. Seriously, there's no way that you would know that this man used to be a woman. In this case, your labelling system breaks down. As was stated, and you're pretty much choosing to ignore, it's not a matter of forcing people to use a phrase, it's about having proper terminology. If new situations arise, new terms are needed, particularly if precision is needed for any reason.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's actually more about exclusionary language and not being singled out than removing a "normal" point. Simply referring to it as "normal" instead of as the default is still using language that others the transgendered for something that hurts no one. This is not ethical behavior if you believe there is nothing wrong with people seeking gender reassignment.
I know transgendered people who are just as regular as you are. Seriously, there's no way that you would know that this man used to be a woman. In this case, your labelling system breaks down. As was stated, and you're pretty much choosing to ignore, it's not a matter of forcing people to use a phrase, it's about having proper terminology. If new situations arise, new terms are needed, particularly if precision is needed for any reason.
Not to nitpick, but you guys will note I said "regular" and "default" as opposed to "normal," but let's go ahead and assume I said "normal" anyway (because I think the discussion will be SO much more interesting that way).

Then why even use the phrase "transgendered" at all, if they're just de rigueur? It's because they're not - they're a rare anomaly. I know people attach a stigma to not being "normal," but this is what the word means. Natural. Conforming to standard. My labelling system doesn't "break down," it just uses the word properly - it has no bearing on how convincing a transgender is in their chosen identity, it has only to do with what is standard. And the whole point of coining "cisgendered" (aside from using it as an epithet for normality) is to attempt to psychologically redefine what normality is, because the damaged types among them can't even themselves accept that not being normal isn't bad.

Unless Bowielee meant "regular" as in having consistent, predictable and well-formed bowel movements, in which case never mind.

Not to nitpick, but you guys will note I said "regular" and "default" as opposed to "normal," but let's go ahead and assume I said "normal" anyway (because I think the discussion will be SO much more interesting that way).

Then why even use the phrase "transgendered" at all, if they're just de rigueur? It's because they're not - they're a rare anomaly. I know people attach a stigma to not being "normal," but this is what the word means. Natural. Conforming to standard. My labelling system doesn't "break down," it just uses the word properly - it has no bearing on how convincing a transgender is in their chosen identity, it has only to do with what is standard. And the whole point of coining "cisgendered" (aside from using it as an epithet for normality) is to attempt to psychologically redefine what normality is, because the damaged types among them can't even themselves accept that not being normal isn't bad.

Unless Bowielee meant "regular" as in having consistent, predictable and well-formed bowel movements, in which case never mind.
Your idiotic assertion that transgendered people are "damaged" aside, the topic is whether or not cicgender merits its existence as a word itself. My argument is that for the purpose of defining the spectrum of gender, regular or normal are too broad and don't apply specicically to gender. It's the same reason there is a term heterosexual.

CynicismKills said:
Yeah, and the last one I played (some translated ROM I think) I couldn't get past like the 10th battle 'cause I kept losing the characters I liked. I really need to get some money so I can find a copy of the Gamecube FE. I hear it's fantastic.
Both the GC one and it's Wii sequel were awesome.

GasBandit

Staff member
Your idiotic assertion that transgendered people are "damaged" aside, the topic is whether or not cicgender merits its existence as a word itself. My argument is that for the purpose of defining the spectrum of gender, regular or normal are too broad and don't apply specicically to gender. It's the same reason there is a term heterosexual.
I did not say they were all damaged, I said "the damaged among them," IE, the loud, noisy ones who also use "cisgendered" as an insult. You are really good at reading things I didn't type lately. As for heterosexuality, that's apples to oranges because homosexuality is naturally occurring. You didn't choose to be homosexual and have surgery and therapy to alter yourself into it.

I did not say they were all damaged, I said "the damaged among them," IE, the loud, noisy ones who also use "cisgendered" as an insult. You are really good at reading things I didn't type lately. As for heterosexuality, that's apples to oranges because homosexuality is naturally occurring. You didn't choose to be homosexual and have surgery and therapy to alter yourself into it.
The fact that you think transgendered people choose to be transgendered speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge on the subject.

GasBandit

Staff member
The fact that you think transgendered people choose to be transgendered speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge on the subject.
Are we talking about the same thing? Because last time I checked, they made you sign a consent form for that sort of medical treatment.

Are we talking about the same thing? Because last time I checked, they made you sign a consent form for that sort of medical treatment.
I may misunderstand, but "transgendered" includes people who identify as female/male while their physical sex is male/female respectively. ie) it is not a 'choice' to be transgendered, they feel their gender really is feminine, but they have the 'wrong' (? don't mean to make that sound derogatory) physical characteristics.

It may be a choice to have surgery to physically have the sexual characteristics of the other gender, but a transgendered person is transgendered with or without a physical change.

GasBandit

Staff member
I may misunderstand, but "transgendered" includes people who identify as female/male while their physical sex is male/female respectively. ie) it is not a 'choice' to be transgendered, they feel their gender really is feminine, but they have the 'wrong' (? don't mean to make that sound derogatory) physical characteristics.

It may be a choice to have surgery to physically have the sexual characteristics of the other gender, but a transgendered person is transgendered with or without a physical change.
Well, perhaps Bowiee was right and I wasn't as informed as I thought, because I was under the impression that Trans signified the SRS procedure itself, hence why some qualified it with the prefix "pre-op."

Well, perhaps Bowiee was right and I wasn't as informed as I thought, because I was under the impression that Trans signified the SRS procedure itself, hence why some qualified it with the prefix "pre-op."

There are transgendered people who never have any form of SRS.

SO ANYWAY VIDEO GAMES HUH

Trying to pair off more of my army in FE: Awakening, and it's a bit difficult as I neglected a few characters and am forced to farm weak Risen and waste gold on Reeking Boxes to summon them. If I weren't such a completionist I'd just stomp the last couple Chapters and start a new playthrough.

CynicismKills said:
SO ANYWAY VIDEO GAMES HUH

Trying to pair off more of my army in FE: Awakening, and it's a bit difficult as I neglected a few characters and am forced to farm weak Risen and waste gold on Reeking Boxes to summon them. If I weren't such a completionist I'd just stomp the last couple Chapters and start a new playthrough.
Did you get any of the DLC? The first set is great for farming up support ranks.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I'm willing to drop it for the benefit of one of my favorite threads, as my next post would probably open up another 6 pages of screeching horror.

Started actually PLAYING the Crusader Kings 2 that I bought before. Ho man, this game... this game is COMPLEX.

Alright, I'm willing to drop it for the benefit of one of my favorite threads, as my next post would probably open up another 6 pages of screeching horror.

Started actually PLAYING the Crusader Kings 2 that I bought before. Ho man, this game... this game is COMPLEX.

I played through the tutorial.

I learned NOTHING.

I know it's been dropped but if anyone feels like continuing, please take you cisgender conversation to the Politics Subforum. :)

HOW BOUT DEM GAEMS