What are you playing?

I bought this game, which was a bad plan because I told my husband I'd help him paint the garage today. 2 hours later...
Seeing that you were playing on my Friends list reminded me of it. I went and finished the demo. This is the most fun I've had in a game in a while. I love playing Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei, but those are a challenging kind of fun. This is just funny and joyous--and yet difficult too.

I decided to get Gamefly and rent the two DS Mario and Luigi games to help tide this over ... but it's really hard when the demo makes this game out to be such a gem. How did I never pay attention to this series before? I've owned a DS for six friggin' years.

Dead Money spoilers ahead:

Good god that last level sucked. But I'm in the vault now, and GOOOLD! So many gold bars, worth so much... 1,500lbs altogether. But I can't return once I leave, and attempting to carry it slows me down to such a crawl that I can barely move. And what's this, the big bad is coming, and I need to sneak out, and now there's a timer going off and everything is going to blow and I need to make it out but I CAN'T MAKE IT OUT IN TIME WITH THE GOLD. Man's greed, always his downfall, if I want to survive I have to let it go...

Fuck that, this level sucked, I earned that goddamn gold. I reloaded and reloaded and reloaded my save until I was able to use every trick I have to sneak past and get out just in the nick of time. And then I spent over an hour slowly trudging through the wasteland, carrying my bounty to the safehouse. FUCK YOU, DEAD MONEY. I'M RICH!

Got to play the DuckTales Remaster a couple days early. It's amazing and obvious a lot of love for the original went into it. The Capcom dude I talked to said Disney's been pretty open about the possibility of more Remasters if this does well. They got the original VA's, the music's fantastic, the controls are crisp, and the visuals are great. There's Easy/Medium/Hard difficulties, Hard being a full NES experience (no waypoints/map/etc). You can turn on or off the Hard Pogo (On meaning you have to hold down like the original, off you don't).

Seriously, buy this game.

Dead Money spoilers ahead:

Good god that last level sucked. But I'm in the vault now, and GOOOLD! So many gold bars, worth so much... 1,500lbs altogether. But I can't return once I leave, and attempting to carry it slows me down to such a crawl that I can barely move. And what's this, the big bad is coming, and I need to sneak out, and now there's a timer going off and everything is going to blow and I need to make it out but I CAN'T MAKE IT OUT IN TIME WITH THE GOLD. Man's greed, always his downfall, if I want to survive I have to let it go...

Fuck that, this level sucked, I earned that goddamn gold. I reloaded and reloaded and reloaded my save until I was able to use every trick I have to sneak past and get out just in the nick of time. And then I spent over an hour slowly trudging through the wasteland, carrying my bounty to the safehouse. FUCK YOU, DEAD MONEY. I'M RICH!
Have you found any vendors with enough caps to actually buy a gold bar? :)

Have you found any vendors with enough caps to actually buy a gold bar? :)
With my barter skill, each bar is worth about 12,000 caps. The gun runners vendortron has 8,000 caps, and I've been taking the difference in ammo and pricey energy weapons/mods.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I had some good times doing BL2 DLC with my buddies... but seems like their wives shut them down and they're not allowed to come out to play any more.

With my barter skill, each bar is worth about 12,000 caps. The gun runners vendortron has 8,000 caps, and I've been taking the difference in ammo and pricey energy weapons/mods.
If you have Old World Blues, there's also a merchant there who often stocks lots of caps.

When did it get Alien Crossfire?

Just a little while ago I think. I remember when they first released it and it didn't have the expansion... I was like "Nawww... I really want them both."

Then the other day I was cruising their site and noticed that they added it in (I think you will get the new version with the expansion added to your library even if you bought the original without it).

They even modified some review comments that complained about it not having the expansion to let people know "Hey we have the expansion now" lol.

Grrrrr. Installed DoW: Dark Crusade and am just pissed at how heavy the AI cheats. It like the AI has no Population Cap. limit at all. comes at me with an army thrice my size,I destroy it and 2 minutes later, BAM! same size army is attacking me again.

Grrrrr. Installed DoW: Dark Crusade and am just pissed at how heavy the AI cheats. It like the AI has no Population Cap. limit at all. comes at me with an army thrice my size,I destroy it and 2 minutes later, BAM! same size army is attacking me again.
There's a map when fighting against Chaos near their base territory where I swear to God they were rushing with 3 or 4 demon princes and all the fixings at once. It was madness and impossible to defend against. Taking their home base was a hundred times easier.

Or you can just use the super OP Imperial Guard, place 2-3 Heavy Weapons teams with Flak Cannons, and basically have them hold your entire area by themselves.

Attacking the Imperial Guard stronghold is not fun.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing Mirror's Edge and I'm not impressed. The visual style is cool, and there are some moments when the free-running is fun, but mostly I just find the game frustrating because of a lot of poor design decisions. The controls really have some odd choices, and some parts are really frustrating. I actually got stuck and had to exit to the main menu because it's impossible to just drop from hanging on a ledge. (I tried to jump where there wasn't a path, grabbed onto a "ledge" that wasn't really supposed to be there, and couldn't do _anything_ but struggle.) The amount of times that I had to replay sections because I wasn't sure how to tell the game to do what I was expected to do.... Why is picking up a weapon done with the right mouse button, and not the use key? I honestly thought I couldn't pick up weapons unless I did a disarm move, until I had to watch a walkthrough for a level where you're required to pick up a gun.

My biggest complaints, besides controls:
- Runners vision looks cool, but is actually used as a crutch for poor level design, and it's still not as useful as it needs to be because they had to put in an Alt key function to point the player in the right direction (and it's hit or miss if that works correctly)
- The shooting, good gravy, the shooting. Even worse was the boss fight like encounter in chapter 7. I hope there's no more of that bullshit. It's not just that the shooting is out of place, but it's also just floaty gun aiming with poor feedback on if bullets are hitting or how much damage they're doing.
- Wait, I'm going back to the controls, why would you make using the scope on a sniper rifle the F key?
- Checkpoints are put in ridiculous places. In a fast paced game racing around rooftops, why would you ever put a checkpoint before a cut-scene or put one where you have a slow-opening door to wait for after every retry?
- Bland level design that makes no sense. Staircases do not work that way.
- Bland plot, underdeveloped world, cliched characters

I've only got two chapters to go, so I'll likely see this through to the end, but I'm glad I only paid $1 for this, I think I'd have been upset if I'd paid $5.

I've been playing Mirror's Edge and I'm not impressed. The visual style is cool, and there are some moments when the free-running is fun, but mostly I just find the game frustrating because of a lot of poor design decisions. The controls really have some odd choices, and some parts are really frustrating. I actually got stuck and had to exit to the main menu because it's impossible to just drop from hanging on a ledge. (I tried to jump where there wasn't a path, grabbed onto a "ledge" that wasn't really supposed to be there, and couldn't do _anything_ but struggle.) The amount of times that I had to replay sections because I wasn't sure how to tell the game to do what I was expected to do.... Why is picking up a weapon done with the right mouse button, and not the use key? I honestly thought I couldn't pick up weapons unless I did a disarm move, until I had to watch a walkthrough for a level where you're required to pick up a gun.

My biggest complaints, besides controls:
- Runners vision looks cool, but is actually used as a crutch for poor level design, and it's still not as useful as it needs to be because they had to put in an Alt key function to point the player in the right direction (and it's hit or miss if that works correctly)
- The shooting, good gravy, the shooting. Even worse was the boss fight like encounter in chapter 7. I hope there's no more of that bullshit. It's not just that the shooting is out of place, but it's also just floaty gun aiming with poor feedback on if bullets are hitting or how much damage they're doing.
- Wait, I'm going back to the controls, why would you make using the scope on a sniper rifle the F key?
- Checkpoints are put in ridiculous places. In a fast paced game racing around rooftops, why would you ever put a checkpoint before a cut-scene or put one where you have a slow-opening door to wait for after every retry?
- Bland level design that makes no sense. Staircases do not work that way.
- Bland plot, underdeveloped world, cliched characters

I've only got two chapters to go, so I'll likely see this through to the end, but I'm glad I only paid $1 for this, I think I'd have been upset if I'd paid $5.
I got a completely different result from that game. I loved the feeling of actually being a runner, something no game before or since has replicated. I thought it was visually stunning and the characters, while not fully developed were damn interesting. The environments were linear but damn were they well done for what they were meant to do. I paid probably $10 and thought it was a steal.

Or you can just use the super OP Imperial Guard, place 2-3 Heavy Weapons teams with Flak Cannons, and basically have them hold your entire area by themselves.

Attacking the Imperial Guard stronghold is not fun.

I use to cheat a little bit on the imperial guard stronghold as Necron. I'd get vision on their final base by teleporting my hero over and send in wave after wave after wave of flayed ones. Took a while, but I could bypass the whole level that way.

Also, Dark Crusade maps get fairly easy if you go after the forward base upgrade asap. I also tend to build up my bases fairly strong in the early game because whatever you build and whatever req points you capture are saved even after the battle. Since you need to get defense wins for some of the wargear anyhow, might as well get a few easy defense wins by having a fully tiered base to wipe out whatever jerk decides to attack. Once you get a big enough honor guard, I cease building bases entirely and wipe out the enemy base with my body guard.

I also recommend saving your game fairly often and making sure only YOU take out the enemy strongholds. You get the full story that way.[DOUBLEPOST=1376705398,1376705366][/DOUBLEPOST]
I got a completely different result from that game. I loved the feeling of actually being a runner, something no game before or since has replicated. I thought it was visually stunning and the characters, while not fully developed were damn interesting. The environments were linear but damn were they well done for what they were meant to do. I paid probably $10 and thought it was a steal.
Yeah it was a fantastic game, and I liked a lot of the music too.

Playing Uncharted 3. I think I hate it. Well, I'm loathing this centuries long pirate segment which so far, is completely never ending and totally without any sort of fun attached.

Hi, I'm a shotgun guy, I take 4 full clips of assault ammunition to the head to die. While you're shooting me, I'm going to one hit you with my shotgun. Hooray, there's 3 of me in this part.

Hi, I'm one of 16 random snipers on the upper levels of this area. You can tell I'm a sniper because my red laser sight permeates through all substances. I also one hit you while you're trying to deal with shotgun guy.

Hi, I'm a grenade launcher sniper. I shoot or throw grenades with the accuracy of a Worms team on hard, it will always land gingerly right next you. Not surprisingly, I one hit you too.

TOGETHER WE FORM SHITTY SEQUEL!

Yeah, Uncharted 3 is a terrible sequel. The combat couldn't be less fun and there's more of it than before. Great. I'm on chapter 16 and there's been what? Two puzzles so far? Those were always the best parts of these games. No wonder there's less of them.

I almost quit after hitting a guy 4 times in the face with the Sas-12 shotgun without him even flinching only for him to one shot me with his shotgun. Bullet sponge enemies are the laziest fucking way to add challenge to a game.

I then quit after doing one of the God awful stealth parts, getting spotted at what I think is near the end and literally seeing 5 enemies spawn out of nothingness and one shot me. I just quit. I'm probably not going back.

And now just reading online, it looks like I'm past all the puzzles already, so there's none to look forward to, just an endless slog of boring combat. Super done.

Last edited:
I assume naughty dog wanted to attempt actual combat before The Last of Us and this is the route through which they tried. In terms of gameplay, it is very similar to U3, with a higher focus on stealth.

As for Mirror's Edge shooting being bad, I think that's explained away by Faith being more of a flight than fight character. You aren't really supposed to use the guns. If I recall there is an achievment for not doing so other than the times you are forced to by the story.

Last edited:
Except the combat in TLoU is fun. I enjoyed TLoU pretty much all the way through.

Uncharted 3 is the opposite, it's awful and boring. The enemies in TLoU make some sort of sense (well more sense anyway) than Uncharted 3's brainless insane goons with a deathwish. There's a sequence that takes place in a castle that's burning down around the heroes, floors are collapsing, the entire place is a death trap and all the goons care about is getting into a gunfight with Drake. Not a God damn care that they're about to be burned alive in a fiery inferno. It's the silliest thing I've seen in an Uncharted game, which is a silly series to begin with.

Last edited:
Urgh. Been playing Shin Megami Tensei IV for most of the day. Now I should really stop because it's been so long, yet I've played enough to be getting near the end and I want to know what happens.

Wondering when my wife is going to make me stop.

Wife wants to play Portal 2. I really don't want to. It's late, I'm not up for physics and shit, and playing co-op with her is like playing with GLaDOS. "Hey, you. Solve this."

Haven't you been playing a ton of Shin Megami by yourself?
That's easier than GLaDOS wife. :p

We did play and it wasn't bad. I wasn't on my A game though, so she had to figure some stuff out without my guidance. Tomorrow we'll hopefully play sometime before 10 PM.[DOUBLEPOST=1376799275,1376799089][/DOUBLEPOST]
Me too, except instead of them asking me how to solve things, I'm telling them, whether they want the advice or not.
This is 70% of the time. My wife usually shines at points where the puzzle parts that aren't portal-related yet require cooperation, like passing a cube from one place to another between players. My mind is so geared towards Portal single-player that I don't even think of that kind of stuff. Just "how do I get this cube around the matter melter shield?"

I'm lucky we're able to just talk to each other or look at each other's side of the TV screen; the synched timing puzzles must be a bitch in some circumstances.

In something I'd attribute to Quotemander saying, I am playing Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime on DS.

This game is too neat.

Back to playing some Dishonored. Currently on the Dunwall Tower stage. I quite enjoyed the party stage, which allowed me to mingle as I closed in on the target. While I did complete the level by not killing anyone, I am looking forward to the chance to replay this one and pretty much kill every single guest at that party.

Last edited:
In something I'd attribute to Quotemander saying, I am playing Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime on DS.

This game is too neat.
Expanding, this game is fucking rad. I do not regret paying the 20 bucks for it on Ebay on a whim.

It's like a weird collecting Zelda game that also has elements of Soul Blaser (repopulating a town) and then suddenly you're commanding a huge tank fighting another tank and suddenly it's very FTLish with more direct control of your character. I love the tank battles. They can get really hectic trying to shoot down enemy ammo while sneaking in my own shots. I love the variety of ammo and getting the right mix of ammo to accomplish S(ub)LIME performances.

Best name for an enemy tank so far: Huge Tree Tank named Chrono Twigger.

Are there any other games like this? Because this is my favorite DS game right now.