What are you playing?

Finished Deus Ex: Invisible War. Golly that didn't take long.

Some of the plot elements took me by surprise.
Do I side with the Order or the WTO? Never mind, it doesn't matter, they're all Illuminati!

Do I side with the Order or the WTO? Never mind, it doesn't matter, they're all Illuminati!
Yeah, but what's REALLY surprising is if you just decide to kill EVERYONE. Then the Omarr take over!

Yeah, but what's REALLY surprising is if you just decide to kill EVERYONE. Then the Omarr take over!
[/QUOTE]

I eventually decided to side with JC and Paul. I mean, it's me from the first game! My genetic brothers! Of course I'm on their side!

For my second playthrough I'm going to side with the Illuminati.

I finished Armored Core 3. I never finished any of the others. I also snagged a lot of the hidden parts. Playing through again is going to be FUN.

I finished Armored Core 3. I never finished any of the others. I also snagged a lot of the hidden parts. Playing through again is going to be FUN.
I could never beat the guy at the end of that cannon thing that would occasionally fire as you were rushing through it. I tried grenades, sabers, making a missile boat... nothing worked on it. So I ended up giving up on 3, loading my save into Silent Line, and beating that instead. Missile Boats are VERY nice in the Arena in that one. I think my setup for that was:

- Quad Missile Launcher shoulder parts.
- Double Missile Launcher Extensions
- Missile Launcher Off Hand
- Lightweight Flamer on Main hand (about all I could put on after all the missiles)
- Frame was the Heavy Weight humaniod type, with EO core... Heavy Weight Humaniod legs, and one of the lighter arm parts. Don't remember head or booster type.

Idea was to just sit back and fire 6-7 missiles at a time at your opponent, dodge if you had to, and flame them into overheating if they got to close. Worked surprisingly well, as the missiles all had different arcs and the stand-off dispensers didn't do shit to stop that many missiles.

I could never beat the guy at the end of that cannon thing that would occasionally fire as you were rushing through it. I tried grenades, sabers, making a missile boat... nothing worked on it. So I ended up giving up on 3, loading my save into Silent Line, and beating that instead. Missile Boats are VERY nice in the Arena in that one. I think my setup for that was:

- Quad Missile Launcher shoulder parts.
- Double Missile Launcher Extensions
- Missile Launcher Off Hand
- Lightweight Flamer on Main hand (about all I could put on after all the missiles)
- Frame was the Heavy Weight humaniod type, with EO core... Heavy Weight Humaniod legs, and one of the lighter arm parts. Don't remember head or booster type.

Idea was to just sit back and fire 6-7 missiles at a time at your opponent, dodge if you had to, and flame them into overheating if they got to close. Worked surprisingly well, as the missiles all had different arcs and the stand-off dispensers didn't do shit to stop that many missiles.[/QUOTE]

For the quad controller AC in the reactor core, I used a tank with the plasma rifle Right Arm, Heucos rockets for the hallway, and a chaingun. If you have around 8600 AP by the time you bust into the core, just circle the other mech with the chaingun going. Don't shoot the reactor. If you get some room, blast him with the plasma rifle; if he gets in close, blade him. An EO core might be useful here, but I didn't use one. Honestly, my best anti AC-weapon, by far, is the chain gun. I never use missiles, ever.

Ashburner, for that mission, here's the setup I used:

Head: MHD-MX/RACHIS
Core: CCH-OV-IKS
Arms: MAH-SS/CASK or MAW-DLC/POWER
Legs: CLC-D3TA
FCS: VREX-ND-2
Generator: CGP-ROZ
Radiator: RGI-KD99
Extension: KEBT-TB-UN5
Back L: CWC-CNG-300
Back R: CWR-HECTO
Arm L: MLB-MOONLIGHT
Arm R: MWGG-XCG/20

I got in the mood for some Dragon Age, so I fired up Origins again. Except this time I decided to do everything differently from how I'd generally done things for my last three playthroughs. Different party members, different strategies, different solutions to the quests etc. And wow, boy was I missing out.

Previously I'd almost always gone for the "good" solutions, so this time I decided to go for the "evil" ones. Sided with the Werewolves and wiped out the Elves in the Brescilian Forest, sided with the Templars in the Circle Tower, killed Caradin and kept the Anvil, etc. When I got to the defense of Redcliffe, I let the town fall to the undead. Then when I subsequently entered the castle, there were undead versions of the named villagers among the enemies. I thought that was a nice touch.

The best part, though, was dealing with Connor and the Desire Demon. Usually there are several options here; the option of summoning help from the Circle was out, since I'd sided with the Templars. I also executed Jowan when I came across him in the dungeons, so we couldn't use his blood magic. Ultimately there was only one choice, to kill Connor. After an epic fight against the Connor demon, his mother Lady Isolde comes running in and begs me to spare her son. But then the demon manifests itself again, and she realizes there's no other choice, so she asks to do it herself. The scene ends with her promising her son the pain will end soon, while she draws a knife, before it fades to black and a stabbing sound is heard.

The voice acting for Lady Isolde is perfect for this scene, it's amazing.

W

Wyrminarrd

A friend of mine just lent me "Batman: Arkham Asylum". Haven't managed to play a lot but so far the game is a lot of fun.

O

Occasional Poster

So I finished Majora's Mask some days ago. Well, I have six masks left to find and many pieces of heart left too, but I beat the boss and feel content with that. I still don't really know how I feel about the game.

I want to criticise it for recycling so much from Ocarina of Time. Much of the game felt like a sloppy re-hash.

At the same time I would like to criticise how time was handled in the game. Even though it was novel and interesting, I think it created a lot of frustration as I would fail something at the first attempt and thus need to turn back time and then skip ahead as close to where I can try again as possible. Some times this was really painful, like trying to get the gilded sword a day late or failing to protect the Romani Ranch from cow thieves. Losing much of my inventory and the progress I had made in the temples and sidequests every time I needed to go back in time got old real fast.

The game was often fun though. The temples and bosses were good and many of the characters were quite memorable.

I think that the complicated puzzles, unforgiving time system and the general lack of directions offered hampered my first playthrough of the game. I beilieve that if I were to play it again in say two years from now when I have forgotten the details but still know roughly what to do and in what order, the game would be really great. This first time though, there were a lot of times where I would have just quit playing the game altogether if it wasn't part of a series I like.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm still playing Assassin's Creed which I'm mostly enjoying, but why did people rave about this game? Did the size and beauty of the world blind them to the horrible gameplay flaws? This is a mediocre game overall, with lots of fiddly bits of awesome and horrible sticking off. Overall Batman: Arkham Asylum kicks AC's butt, it's better in every way I can think of. Back to Assassin's Creed though:

Aside from the problems with the PC port:
- The camera is horrible, and during the time you need it the most, chases, your thumb is busy sprinting, tackling, etc. so that you don't have time to adjust it manually.
- The climbing system is stupid. Why were people raving about this? It's cool to watch, but it's a pain to control. You can't plan your path because it's too hard to look up. It also just feels jerky and awkward if you don't get on just the right path.
- Combat is stiff and unresponsive. Locking on to enemies is unreliable and I've managed to throw knives in the completely opposite direction of the enemy I was locked onto.
- The way the game locks you on to citizens you rescue, and forces you to stay in the area and listen to them, even while more guards flood into the area.

The game on the whole feels like the designers built this giant amazing world, and then realized they couldn't make enough actual game to fill it. So they threw in a bunch of flags (that don't do anything but achievements that don't exist on the PC). Batman:AA is a much smaller world, but it's much much better.

The plot in AC is interesting, but not amazing. The platforming/exploration is fun while it works. The graphics are fantastic. I'll probably finish it, as fast as I can, but it's a 6 out of 10.

I tried out Global Agenda's free trial. The combat and control mechanics are really exactly what I've wanted in an MMO.

However, as with most games nowadays, my computer can't handle it. Shame. I guess I'm really a console player for a while to come. I don't think I'll even get to play Portal 2 for a long time.

I tried out Global Agenda's free trial. The combat and control mechanics are really exactly what I've wanted in an MMO.

However, as with most games nowadays, my computer can't handle it. Shame. I guess I'm really a console player for a while to come. I don't think I'll even get to play Portal 2 for a long time.
Portal 2 is coming to 360 and PS3.

I've gotten to 90% complete on AC3 and am shopping for a cheap, complete, good or very good copy of Silent Line on Ebay. I've cleared out the Arena and Extra Arena, gotten all the OP-INTENSIFY bonuses, and only need like 4 or 5 bonus parts.

Some of the bonus parts are a HUGE pain in the ass to get. "Don't get hit by anything for 2 minutes". "Don't a single one of the slow, defenseless targets you aren't anywhere near get shot". "Finish this objective in some arbitrary time limit that we won't tell you about, then complete the bonus mission".

I have purchased every part in the shop (2 each in case of back weapons).

I've gotten to 90% complete on AC3 and am shopping for a cheap, complete, good or very good copy of Silent Line on Ebay. I've cleared out the Arena and Extra Arena, gotten all the OP-INTENSIFY bonuses, and only need like 4 or 5 bonus parts.

Some of the bonus parts are a HUGE pain in the ass to get. "Don't get hit by anything for 2 minutes". "Don't a single one of the slow, defenseless targets you aren't anywhere near get shot". "Finish this objective in some arbitrary time limit that we won't tell you about, then complete the bonus mission".

You can buy most of the old weapons from AC3. But yeah, I can't remember which ones you can't... aside from the Black las-rifle you can get in one mission (which i only remember, because I used it all the time.)

Portal 2 is coming to 360 and PS3.[/QUOTE]

I can play a simple FPS like Borderlands on PS3, but Portal needs true control, and I need a mouse and keyboard for that.

You can buy most of the old weapons from AC3. But yeah, I can't remember which ones you can't... aside from the Black las-rifle you can get in one mission (which i only remember, because I used it all the time.)[/QUOTE]

The big square one? (XCG/75 I think) I use that one all the time. The XCG/20 is very powerful, but the rate of fire is too slow for a lot of missions.

I can play a simple FPS like Borderlands on PS3, but Portal needs true control, and I need a mouse and keyboard for that.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhhhhhhhh if you say so. I managed to clear Portal just fine on my 360. I don't think you need the sniping precision you're looking for when the whole game treats the portal locations like a grid anyway.

You can buy most of the old weapons from AC3. But yeah, I can't remember which ones you can't... aside from the Black las-rifle you can get in one mission (which i only remember, because I used it all the time.)[/QUOTE]

The big square one? (XCG/75 I think) I use that one all the time. The XCG/20 is very powerful, but the rate of fire is too slow for a lot of missions.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's the one. I used it more than I ever used that "uber" beam weapon (The Kawa something or other). My basic build for story missions was usually that, a Moonlight, high energy parts, and usually some rockets. It was just the most cost effective solution to problems, where as in the Arena you can just go Missile Boat because you never had to pay for re-supply.

I generally use the 1000 round machinegun, moonlight, plasma pulse gun (the small 80 round one), and 20% extra ammo back part. I do wind up paying more for ammo but it's a good solid load out.

I gave "Wet" a try. Played it for about half an hour, didn't even get to the end of the first level, and shut it off.

What a piece of unplayable garbage with a really neat, but gimmicky presentation and great music.

figmentPez

Staff member
Just starting Sam & Max: They Stole Max's Brain! and so far I'm loving it, if only because Noir Sam is awesome! I'm really digging the dark-and-stormy-night vibe.

I can play a simple FPS like Borderlands on PS3, but Portal needs true control, and I need a mouse and keyboard for that.[/QUOTE]

Uhhhhhhhhhh if you say so. I managed to clear Portal just fine on my 360. I don't think you need the sniping precision you're looking for when the whole game treats the portal locations like a grid anyway.[/QUOTE]

That's nice for you. You can't turn or aim as fast with a joystick as with a mouse.

Uhhhhhhhhhh if you say so. I managed to clear Portal just fine on my 360. I don't think you need the sniping precision you're looking for when the whole game treats the portal locations like a grid anyway.[/QUOTE]

That's nice for you. You can't turn or aim as fast with a joystick as with a mouse.[/QUOTE]

It is nice for me, thank you for noticing! You don't need that kind of precise control for Portal by a longshot, but if it's a control scheme you prefer for familiarity/comfort that's understandable.

Here's my ACs -

Heavy Weapons: BillDozer

Mission/Blade AC: RipSaw

Water Level/Fast AC: Blaster

Game Completion:

Zappit

Staff member
Just got Super Robot Taisen for the DS - looked cool when I first read about it. Quite a strange game. Combat system's a heap of fun, though.

I picked up the id Software pack on the current Steam sale, mainly for Doom 3, since I've been wanting to try it for a while.

Played the first half hour or so, and... well... it's okay. I already knew it's more horror than action, but it seems to rely really heavily on scripted sequences. Walk into a room, lights suddenly go out, hear wall panels open, and monsters attack. It's hard not to compare the game to Dead Space, which I've already played before, and I think Dead Space did it better. Also, I immediately recognized the game engine as the same one used in Quake 4, so I ended up mentally comparing Doom 3 to Quake 4, and so far I think Quake 4's more fun too. As far as my space shooters go, so far I rank them Dead Space > Quake 4 > Doom 3. Doom 3 is still decent though, definitely got my heart pumping and made me jump a few times.

Also, this poster? Totally true:

Oh, and I also don't really like how weak my weapons feel. So far I've gotten the pistol, the shotgun and the machine gun, and all of them feel like feather ticklers. Doesn't help that enemy shotgun blasts have the ability to send me flying back ten feet, while my own shotgun feels like it's shooting spitballs. I want something meatier, dammit!

P

Philosopher B.

Twobit got me The Warriors for the PS2 from Ebay for my birthday, so I have started that. 'Tis pretty fucking rocking, so far.

What I'm saying is, I can dig it.

Ross

Staff member
Been playing CS:S for years... they just made an update that makes it a lot more like TF2 with the scoreboard, end-of-round pop-ups, and a few other random things. They even made 144 achievements for it.

Aside from the HD upgrade, CS:S could really have done without all the other updates. I died a little inside.