What are you playing?

So... Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin.

I feel like someone took a cheese grater to my nuts and I haven't even reached a boss yet.

My dreams have framerate issues, and pop-up. No, seriously. It's like how people who grew up on B&W television have dreams in black & white. My flying dreams sometimes stutter, and have poor view-distance.
True story, I've had dreams in this form before:

STp3P.jpg

So... Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin.

I feel like someone took a cheese grater to my nuts and I haven't even reached a boss yet.
My only problem with this is that they're selling a patch as a full game. And even then, they -still- haven't fixed the durability bug.

That's pretty shitty, FROM Software...

My only problem with this is that they're selling a patch as a full game. And even then, they -still- haven't fixed the durability bug.

That's pretty shitty, FROM Software...
Scholar of the First Sin edition has all the DLC, improved graphics, enhanced multi-player, and more content (that is being provided for free to everyone who already bought the game). It's not a patch, it's a GotY edition, essentially.

Scholar of the First Sin edition has all the DLC, improved graphics, enhanced multi-player, and more content (that is being provided for free to everyone who already bought the game). It's not a patch, it's a GotY edition, essentially.
As far as I know, it's not being provided for free, but at a discount. If you already own Dark Souls 2 and all the dlc, you still have to pay $20-$30 (depending on pricing) for the new 64-bit version.

Hate to disagree Poe, but there are far more than graphical changes, even if you already own all the DLC. It remixes all the enemy placements as well as adding the titular Scholar of the first sin.

FTL: Faster Than Light

So far, I've beaten the flagship using Redtail, Torus, Adjucator, and Gila Monster. Almost each time, I was so loaded to the teeth with weapons and defence that they barely even scratched me.

Then I had an actual, literal stalemate using the Man of War. It started out well enough. I used a boarding party to take out two of their most threatening weapons. As a result, they couldn't even get through my shields with anything they threw at me. Unfortunately, they had also hacked my weapons system, which kept powering down right when I was about to attack. Worse, I ran out of bombs. The only weapons I had left were the Bio-weapon (useless against their still fully operational shields) and two 2-shot lasers which could sometimes take down the shield temporarily if they all hit (which they rarely did). And there were too many guys left in the main part of the flagship that any time I tried sending over a boarding party, they'd send the nearly dead fighters to the med bay and keep switching up until I was forced to recall my boarders. I was able to take down the shields once and time it to hit the bio-weapon to take down one of their guys, but after trying that method multiple times, it just didn't work because it was far too rare that all four lasers would hit. So I up gave, took down my shields, and let them blow me out of the sky.

Code Name Steam: I feel like my wife and I are the only people who bought this game, and wishing we'd followed the crowd. I don't know why the demo was so much fun and the full version feels lifeless. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for it? Maybe because the full version doesn't feel like it has any more story than the demo? Maybe because I've gone much further than the demo and the group is still struggling to get out of London i.e. nothing has happened? Maybe because the demo came out before Monster Hunter and now that I have Monster Hunter, I don't need Code Name Steam?

I don't know. It doesn't help that if you haven't unlocked the final hidden boiler in the single player, you might as well not bother with online, because you're going to get your ass kicked. I don't care for that.

I wanted to give Nintendo the benefit of a doubt on a new IP, they do it so rarely, and the demo was enjoyable, but I am just not enjoying the final product. I'll likely finish it eventually--it's not that damn long either, so that's not saying much.

Zappit

Staff member
Monster Hunter: It's okay, @Zappit , I would've had work to do as well if a fellow Halforumite had double-carted like I did.

:p
Who you kidding? I went into that fight wearing water-based gear. That was just asking to get carted by that Rajang. :)

But seriously, though, I really am trying to stay a few Supervillainous updates ahead so I can work on lesson plans for my cartooning class. I'm trying to present the lessons themselves as comic strips. It makes for a bit more work.

Edit: I'll probably be on later tonight. I was going to play some Xenoblade, but I'll check the Friends List. If you're on, I'll switch games and we'll get you past level 7.

I'm playing FE Awakening while I wait for payday to buy another copy of Xenoblade, so I can play it on the 3DS instead of the Wii.

I am so Nintendo's bitch.

GTA V for the PC is really good. The port is fantastic, it runs like a dream, and the rockstar editor included is really fun, allowing you to easily record gameplay and edit it through different camera angles.

GTA V for the PC is really good. The port is fantastic, it runs like a dream, and the rockstar editor included is really fun, allowing you to easily record gameplay and edit it through different camera angles.
Heard some people were hit with a day-one bug that prevents the game from starting up. I'm guessing you didn't run into that issue?

Also.. stop tempting me, man! I've resolved to buy it in two years, when it comes down to like ten bucks on Steam!

Heard some people were hit with a day-one bug that prevents the game from starting up. I'm guessing you didn't run into that issue?

Also.. stop tempting me, man! I've resolved to buy it in two years, when it comes down to like ten bucks on Steam!
That bug only happens if you have non letters/numbers in your windows login name. I don't, though those that do can just make a new administrator account to install the game.

Rockstar has said they'll be patching that soon.

Meanwhile, Mortal Kombat X won't let you get past the original menus because it is the guinea pig for a new steam download process.

Man, so Final Fantasy Record Keeper? Not bad. It's...actually pretty fun for a mobile game time waster. It's like the exact opposite of ATB. They give you so much stamina so far (the bane of all mobile games) though that I've literally never run out before the time I was wasting with my phone was up. The times that I got close to running out of stamina, the dungeon I was in would just toss me enough stamina crystals that my stamina bar would get bigger and refill. I think Square has done alright here.

One of the real problems that I've noticed in Bloodborne is that it's not really clear that you are making progress or at least not in the same way that it does in other Souls games.
Agreed. I mean, I've definitely made some progress as my first warp headstone's list is mostly full--at best there might be one more area I could access from it. The problem is, there are four of them and they don't run sequentially. Around midway through the first one, the other three open up one after the other, with varying difficulties to different areas within them. I mean, once you beat a certain boss, it's clear something has changed in the environment, but unlike in Dark Souls, it's unclear why or what's happening around it.

One progress-related thing I don't mind that is similar to Dark Souls is that you can completely miss areas of the game if you don't go down a certain corner or path, which makes exploring important. One thing I dislike is that there's a certain cutscene that, if you fail/die or kill the wrong NPC right after, you cannot access a certain area, ever.

Agreed. I mean, I've definitely made some progress as my first warp headstone's list is mostly full--at best there might be one more area I could access from it. The problem is, there are four of them and they don't run sequentially. Around midway through the first one, the other three open up one after the other, with varying difficulties to different areas within them. I mean, once you beat a certain boss, it's clear something has changed in the environment, but unlike in Dark Souls, it's unclear why or what's happening around it.

One progress-related thing I don't mind that is similar to Dark Souls is that you can completely miss areas of the game if you don't go down a certain corner or path, which makes exploring important. One thing I dislike is that there's a certain cutscene that, if you fail/die or kill the wrong NPC right after, you cannot access a certain area, ever.
Er fill me in a spoiler there, I'd like to know

Star Ocean 4 had this problem in that if you missed certain conversations with your party members you'd lose entire chunks of the game's ending, and miss out on the complete final scene. Some of the convos were available for extremely limited times and always required you to hike all the way back to your starship at the beginning zone of whatever planet you were on. It's a trope from older RPGs I've always hated.

The day turns to night and then... other stuff starts to happen as you kill bosses. Alternatively, some things start happening as you gain Insight, ranging from enemies beginning to look different and gaining new attacks to new enemies showing up to really weird, spooky shit starting to happen. I think you stop getting new stuff at 40 insight but once that happens things go completely fucking nuts.

After beating the Hemwick witch and accessing Iosefka's clinic from the Forbidden Woods, there's an event you can activate in the yard below where you fight the Hemwick witch. It's the only way to reach Cainhurst Castle. If you die on the way to the castle, you can't ever go there. Once there, you must hit the initial lantern. If you kill the boss named Logarius before activating the lantern, you won't be able to get back into the castle from his boss lantern, as it's only access point after the first time into the castle is through the lantern via Hunter's Dream. There's also a second castle to access from Cainhurst, Vileblood Castle, and you won'r be able to go there either if you're cut off from Cainhurst.

I've beaten the Hemwick Witch, but I haven't found the secret path from the Forbidden Woods to Iosefka's Clinic yet, so I can't get more detailed than what I've read.

In short, From is being pretty unforgiving with cutting you off from optional areas. With the risk of death this significant, and the recommended level being 60-80, I'm not screwing with it yet.[DOUBLEPOST=1429052224,1429052135][/DOUBLEPOST]
The day turns to night and then... other stuff starts to happen as you kill bosses. Alternatively, some things start happening as you gain Insight, ranging from enemies beginning to look different and gaining new attacks to new enemies showing up to really weird, spooky shit starting to happen. I think you stop getting new stuff at 40 insight but once that happens things go completely fucking nuts.
Oh, I thought he meant the risk of death side area.

I have a good chunk of Insight right now and enough Madman's Knowledge to bring my total past 40. I wonder if I should do it ...

I have a good chunk of Insight right now and enough Madman's Knowledge to bring my total past 40. I wonder if I should do it ...
If you are curious and do it, a good place to check around would be Oedon Cathedral. However, if you have already been to Byrgenworth and discovered it's secret, you don't need the 40 insight to see what it unveils.

If you are curious and do it, a good place to check around would be Oedon Cathedral. However, if you have already been to Byrgenworth and discovered it's secret, you don't need the 40 insight to see what it unveils.
I discovered the secret just before boosting my insight, so it all sort of happened at once.

The sky changes are the most obvious, but the more interesting change is to all the statues around Yharnam. Previously their pose is stuck in begging, but after the change, they're all reaching for the sky or clawing at their own eyes.

So, now it feels like I'm near the end of the game, except I still understand very little about what's going on and there's still a lot of room left on my warp lists, so I might be nowhere near the end. Dark Souls was vague, but at certain points you still got a sense of what was happening. Not really, here.

I hope the chalice stuff isn't just there to pad the game, because there have been a couple areas where I did a lot of work and my only reward was a new chalice. That said, I was on fire tonight. Tore through four bosses (the Byrgenworth one was mutual destruction, but that still counts!)

Necronic

Staff member
That bug only happens if you have non letters/numbers in your windows login name. I don't, though those that do can just make a new administrator account to install the game.

Rockstar has said they'll be patching that soon.
There were other causes as well. Mine wouldn't run but when I turned off my Avast shield for 10 minutes I could launch it. Something about its behavior triggers firewalls or warg riders or something.

Game is pretty darned fun though. Much better written than the last one. And the multiplayer is tons of fun.

GTA Online is pretty damn fun... even if I still suck at it.

I didn't record any footage, so instead have this random gameplay from roosterteeth

fade

Staff member
I bought Dark Souls. I wanted to see what the hype was about. Pretty dated looking graphics for a PS3 game. So far it's not the super-hard kill-fest I was led to believe. The first boss--the big flying pokemon in the aslyum--went down in like 3 hits? I guess I'm in for it later, though.

I bought Dark Souls. I wanted to see what the hype was about. Pretty dated looking graphics for a PS3 game. So far it's not the super-hard kill-fest I was led to believe. The first boss--the big flying pokemon in the aslyum--went down in like 3 hits? I guess I'm in for it later, though.
From what I know of the series it will ramp up in difficulty like mad after the first boss and just start pounding your face in from there.

Don't pat yourself on the back too hard for beating the tutorial :p.

That said, it gets harder, then becomes easier once you gain an understanding of how it works.

Been spending too much time with Crash Drive 2. I like the graphics and the relatively simply controls. It's a fun game, though kinda limited as a flash game on the PC. There's a lot more options as a mobile game - but therein lies the rub. Even though you can login to A10 online, you can't login with your user name on your mobile device/iPad/tablet. And, a lot of the really neat car options can't be used on a PC - and you can only buy more in-game cash in the mobile app.