What are you playing?

Well shit titties. I'm trying to play GTA5 and it crashes at the same point in the first heist and judging by Rockstar's forums, I am not alone.

So I'm playing through the DLC on Dishonored, and it's okay. Then I get to the Witches of Bridgemore, and the first thing I have to do is break a chick out of prison, and I get to her, and she passes the hell out. So I'm faced with the prospect of sneaking around a prison, carrying this broad on my back, all while trying not to kill anyone or get noticed, and it strikes me that this suddenly feels like work.

So I kick out the disc and start Saints Row IV. Having never played any of the Saints Row games, I am suddenly reminded that video games (not unlike movies about superheroes) are sometimes best when they're not taking themselves so damned seriously.

Of course, I may regret customizing my character to be a deep purple, but only time will tell.

So I'm playing through the DLC on Dishonored, and it's okay. Then I get to the Witches of Bridgemore, and the first thing I have to do is break a chick out of prison, and I get to her, and she passes the hell out. So I'm faced with the prospect of sneaking around a prison, carrying this broad on my back, all while trying not to kill anyone or get noticed, and it strikes me that this suddenly feels like work.

So I kick out the disc and start Saints Row IV. Having never played any of the Saints Row games, I am suddenly reminded that video games (not unlike movies about superheroes) are sometimes best when they're not taking themselves so damned seriously.

Of course, I may regret customizing my character to be a deep purple, but only time will tell.

?

GasBandit

Staff member
My favorite part? "Huh... this seems easier." *gets eaten by the Patriarch immediately after he takes several AS12 clips to the face*
Well, how was I supposed to know they made the Patriarch 10 times harder than before? He looks like a skinny twit, doesn't even have a chaingun/rocket launcher arm! :p

But yeah, playing later that night confirmed it... everything from the fleshpound on down is a lot less difficult. I never needed to weld a door once. But the Patriarch is insane.

I'm hoping they tweak that.

Well, how was I supposed to know they made the Patriarch 10 times harder than before? He looks like a skinny twit, doesn't even have a chaingun/rocket launcher arm! :p

But yeah, playing later that night confirmed it... everything from the fleshpound on down is a lot less difficult. I never needed to weld a door once. But the Patriarch is insane.

I'm hoping they tweak that.
It's only Alpha, so I imagine they will. Personally, I really dig the changes to the Patriarch fight... it used to always be the same: you'd lay down a bunch of pipe bombs, lure him down somewhere he couldn't easily run, and then unload into him. Now he can force you to move, steal your health, and just generally make you fight on HIS terms. It's way more interesting.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's only Alpha, so I imagine they will. Personally, I really dig the changes to the Patriarch fight... it used to always be the same: you'd lay down a bunch of pipe bombs, lure him down somewhere he couldn't easily run, and then unload into him. Now he can force you to move, steal your health, and just generally make you fight on HIS terms. It's way more interesting.
That could be part of the problem... no demolitions or firebug perks yet. So no pipebombs, no flames to damage him over time.

Still, he soaks AA12 fire like damn.

It is, though I would have recommended playing SR3 first. Once you get superpowers, you can't bear to go back.
The super powers ruin some of the elements of the game, really. What's the point of cars if you have super speed, jump, and flight? I mean sure... bring a UFO to help get nodes? Go for it. But why would you want a normal CAR?

I'm playing Gat out of Hell. I give it a meh. The cutscenes are great, but I feel like I'm juzt running around messing about rather than doing anything. It's like playing a SR game without ever doing the missions . . . Because there don't seem to be any.

If I had just seen "Leave it to the Saints" earlier, I would have cleared all other content from my queue. I want to walk around like that so bad now.

GasBandit

Staff member
I managed to beat the patriarch twice in KF2 last night :D Once solo, once in a group. The trick is, it's a very different fight from KF1's patriarch. In KF1, you try to maintain distance, set up ambushes at choke points with pipebombs, and use flame weapons to keep him visible when he runs off to heal. In KF2, maintaining distance is impossible because he can sprint too, you're constantly having to flee while reloading/healing then turning and backpedaling to fire. It's important to stop shooting him when he's "feeding" off a player because he's invulnerable while he does that, and he won't ever turn invisible/run away to heal. It's important for all present to throw ALL their grenades at him at the first opportunity. After that, try to keep whoever he's munching on healed, and constantly hose him down with your strongest weapon while dodging grenades and staying out of the gas.

I hope the community starts churning out maps quick, because the 3 it comes with are getting stale fast.

Also, I dunno how much of a fan I am of the current progression speed.

Also, I miss being Foundry Worker Aldridge.

fade

Staff member
It's not just that (okay, it's partly that) it's just hit-hit-hit-hit-move to next nearly identical area hit-hit-hit-hit.

It's not just that (okay, it's partly that) it's just hit-hit-hit-hit-move to next nearly identical area hit-hit-hit-hit.
Sounds like a video game to me :p

On the serious side, though, Dark Souls IS repetitive in that you will be running through the same areas again and again until you really learn how to make progress. Once you break through that initial wall, though, the world opens up in such a fantastic manner that the game is just phenomenal.
Honestly, I HATED the souls series when it first came out for the reasons that you're pointing out, but once I broke through that wall and started downing bosses and getting to explore new places, I love the series.

Some people prefer a more narrative game experience, where the game has a story to tell and guides you through that. Dark Souls doesn't. It drops you into a bleak world, and the storytelling comes from you moving thought that world and experiencing it, like a stranger would. This won't appeal to everyone.

It's also a game where you need a moderate time chunk to play. You need warm-up time when you start, and then the bonfires aren't close to each other, so you need time to make progress between them (or open a shortcut).

I'm not a fan of dark souls. The camera quality is shit and completely unacceptable. Console port crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of dark souls. The camera quality is shit and completely unacceptable. Console port crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's because you're playing a game with the mouse that's intended to be played with a controller :p

I can't wait till a game just up and says "screw you, we're not putting mouse and keyboard controls in our port. If you don't like it, don't play it".

I can't wait till a game just up and says "screw you, we're not putting mouse and keyboard controls in our port. If you don't like it, don't play it".
It's so very American.
Go and visit the house of another culture, then don't try and emulate their customs at all, just tromp right in and if they don't like it, too bad!

--Patrick

Ugh, that reminds me of the Resident Evil 4 port for PC. Capcom felt that having mouse support would make the game too easy. It was horrible.[DOUBLEPOST=1429917007,1429916896][/DOUBLEPOST]I started a new playthrough of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Progress so far--received sword, murdered 700 plants.

Ugh, that reminds me of the Resident Evil 4 port for PC. Capcom felt that having mouse support would make the game too easy. It was horrible.[DOUBLEPOST=1429917007,1429916896][/DOUBLEPOST]I started a new playthrough of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. Progress so far--received sword, murdered 700 plants.
Having mouse support WOULD have made the game too easy. That's not excuse not to have it.

Yeah, that's kind of fucked up thinking. "Huh. If we let the game work right, it would be way too easy. So instead of reducing the damage your character inflicts or adjusting ammo to drop less frequently, let's just cripple the controls!"

Zelda: ALBW: Almost to Lorule. This is going much faster than last time. I'm kind of surprised how automatically I seem to know how to do puzzles and where items are, even though I've only played this game once before. It's fun just to fuck around and explore, but even then I don't see this playthrough lasting too long. Maybe I should've started Hero Mode after all.

At the same time, it's getting me in the mood for another Zelda game, so I have to decide if I want to grab Majora's Mask 3D or Devil Survivor 2 in May.