What are you playing?

In addition to my Diablo 3 and Civ 4 addictions I started Dragon Age Inquisition on the PS4. Getting a custom back story loaded was painful but the game looks good so far.

I bought New 3DS Xenoblade, but I haven't played it yet. I want to actually finish Bravely Default first, or I'll never get around to it. The downside is I've just gotten to Chapter 5, which is

where the time loop nonsense starts and I have to re-light all the crystals and such.

I bought New 3DS Xenoblade, but I haven't played it yet. I want to actually finish Bravely Default first, or I'll never get around to it. The downside is I've just gotten to Chapter 5, which is

where the time loop nonsense starts and I have to re-light all the crystals and such.
Many times. But the way they unfold that story, at least from the Let's Play I watched, was nicely built-up.

I read a little about Bloodborne's finale ... okay, it makes sense now. I guess I'll go through again and try to get the true ending this time, because mine was the bad ending.

It amazes me how much easier these games are the second time around. Granted, Father Gasslerazzledazzle is still kicking my ass, but I'm pretty sure I'll have him tonight.

Also got Devil Survivor 2: Record Breaker. I love how people elsewhere said this was less intense than the first Devil Survivor, and then this one begins with a subway crash leaving little pixel bodies scattered around the battlefield and a big part of the plot is seeing your friends die in various ways. Maybe they meant the gameplay difficulty.

Played Splatoon tonight. Was fun, but not $60 fun. May play again tomorrow afternoon, I'm not getting up at 5am for the morning test demo.

I was only able to make it to about 400 before I decided to go play some more Diablo.
I am getting better at the tiddlywink-sucking simulator, though.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I was only able to make it to about 400 before I decided to go play some more Diablo.
I am getting better at the tiddlywink-sucking simulator, though.

--Patrick
Once you get to about 400, the tiddlywinks stop feeding you, and you can only grow by eating other players.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ok, strike that, around 400 you start bleeding mass at about 1 per second, so eating tiddlywinks generally is only enough to keep you at current mass.

I didn't realize the game treated you like an inactive bank account.
The game designers really thought of a lot to include.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
How do people have awesome names and logos? I saw hitler with a mustache, i laughed and died from another player.
There are some names that just trigger graphics. Anybody who names themselves Hitler gets a mustache graphic. There's also flags for place names like "Texas" or "USA" or "France", "Poland" turns you into Polandball, "Nazi" gives you a swastika, and there's a variety of other easter egg type crudely drawn graphics for specific names. There's even different ones for "Japan" vs "Imperial Japan" and so forth.

On the second-to-last boss of Bravely Default en route to the True ending. It has a combo attack I can't find a way to counter that weakens me to every element, nullifying any resist/immunity I have for them, and then oneshots me with some kind of Uber-Flare.

Six attempts and various class reworks/ability/equip combos, but every time:

I give up. And I refuse to use the cheese methods people suggest online, I'd rather give up than pretend that's a win. The only way I see out of this is to grind, but I'm already level 72.

On the second-to-last boss of Bravely Default en route to the True ending. It has a combo attack I can't find a way to counter that weakens me to every element, nullifying any resist/immunity I have for them, and then oneshots me with some kind of Uber-Flare.

Six attempts and various class reworks/ability/equip combos, but every time:

I give up. And I refuse to use the cheese methods people suggest online, I'd rather give up than pretend that's a win. The only way I see out of this is to grind, but I'm already level 72.
They're suggesting methods to win.

There was a guy on GameFAQs who wanted to know how to beat a monster in Monster Hunter, and when people made suggestions, he said he didn't want to have to upgrade his armor, didn't want to use offensive items, and so on, because he felt that was cheesing it. He just wanted a method to run in and slap the thing until it died, and there was no helping beyond "hit, don't get hit" because he wasn't willing to use the methods available.

Don't be that guy and make yourself miserable for no reason.

They're suggesting methods to win.

There was a guy on GameFAQs who wanted to know how to beat a monster in Monster Hunter, and when people made suggestions, he said he didn't want to have to upgrade his armor, didn't want to use offensive items, and so on, because he felt that was cheesing it. He just wanted a method to run in and slap the thing until it died, and there was no helping beyond "hit, don't get hit" because he wasn't willing to use the methods available.

Don't be that guy and make yourself miserable for no reason.
I dunno, most methods are

Make everyone a Ninja
Brave
Utsusemi/Attack with 3
Utsusemi/Cura with 1
Auto-battle
Win

That seems like cheesing it to me. Using items/upgrading gear and abusing a command to the point you can put the system down while it wins for you seem like two different things to me.

Make everyone a Ninja
Brave
Utsusemi/Attack with 3
Utsusemi/Cura with 1
Auto-battle
Win

That seems like cheesing it to me. Using items/upgrading gear and abusing a command to the point you can put the system down while it wins for you seem like two different things to me.
DRAGOON JUMP

Make everyone a Ninja
Brave
Utsusemi/Attack with 3
Utsusemi/Cura with 1
Auto-battle
Win

Well, Bravely Default is a turn-based RPG, so to some degree you can always walk away while it's still running. But the thing is, by being aware of this strategy, you're going to be avoiding any semblance of it and just making things harder intentionally. Have three characters follow that strategy, and then another character be something else so you don't feel like you cheesed it?

I don't know; they're giving you a working method, so I guess just grind?

Welp, I just finished Dragon Age: Origins, finally (started it early December of last year), so I'm off to Awakening. At this rate, I'll be halfway through Inquisition by the time the PlayStation 7 comes out.

Past the halfway point in my second run through Bloodborne. I'm finding that I don't really like strength weapons; they're either powerful and boring or fun and weak.

I was kind of surprised to see the framerate drop when I ran into someone else's game to help them through the Forbidden Woods. I don't think I ever saw that with Dark Souls, even when there were two cooperators + an invader.

Past the halfway point in my second run through Bloodborne. I'm finding that I don't really like strength weapons; they're either powerful and boring or fun and weak.

I was kind of surprised to see the framerate drop when I ran into someone else's game to help them through the Forbidden Woods. I don't think I ever saw that with Dark Souls, even when there were two cooperators + an invader.
I love the threaded cane.

That was my starting weapon. Its sleek, takes a little experience to master, and lets you dance around pretty well. There are a couple situations where it's at a disadvantage, but it's overall a solid skill stat weapon.
Generally, I find that it becomes less useful later in the game when you stop setting a ton of Beast enemies or Beast bosses. The whip mode gets the same passive bonus that the Saw Cleaver and Saw Spear get when extended, which is something like 20% extra damage against enemies weak to serrated weapons (mostly beasts). However, the Cane mode of the Serrated Cane is considered a Church weapon and gets 20% extra damage against enemies weak to stuff like the Ludwig's Holy Blade... which means it basically does extra damage against stuff in Cainherst.

As for Strength weapons... did you try the Logarius Wheel? It can S in Strength scaling and has some crazy, crazy tricks to it. You can also toss in Arcane if you want to use the higher level of it's buff (you can buff it three times at the cost of HP).

As for Strength weapons... did you try the Logarius Wheel? It can S in Strength scaling and has some crazy, crazy tricks to it. You can also toss in Arcane if you want to use the higher level of it's buff (you can buff it three times at the cost of HP).
I just got Cainhurst open again last night, so I still have a couple steps to go before I can get the wheel (I didn't get it last time since I joined the Vilebloods).

Next playthrough, I'm going Arcane. Arcane gems, Arcane weapons (few as they are), spell items. I know it's of limited use, but I'd like to do something weird. Maybe by then there will be some DLC, as I'm taking a break after this playthrough.

Weighing whether to get Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin in the near future. I'm hooked on these games.

I just got Cainhurst open again last night, so I still have a couple steps to go before I can get the wheel (I didn't get it last time since I joined the Vilebloods).

Next playthrough, I'm going Arcane. Arcane gems, Arcane weapons (few as they are), spell items. I know it's of limited use, but I'd like to do something weird. Maybe by then there will be some DLC, as I'm taking a break after this playthrough.

Weighing whether to get Demon's Souls or Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin in the near future. I'm hooked on these games.
If you want to get the Wheel early, you can literally just kill Alfred at his second location to get the badge, which unlocks both the Wheel and the Ardeo. This means you can have the Wheel by the time you kill Vicar Amelia (which is what... a third into the game?). But if you want to give him the summons for it instead, I get why.

As for an Arcane build... any weapon that doesn't have a built in Arcane damage split (blades of mercy, Ludwigs, Tonitrus, etc) gets a 100% damage conversion the moment you stick an Arcane gem into it. That's something to consider when you go into an Arcane run, as it makes some weapons (Saw Cleaver, Saw Spear, Threaded Cane) viable options. That said, the Wheel and Tonitrus are still, by far, the best arcane weapons. The Wheel's buff can become MASSIVE if you have a good chunk of arcane and Tonitrus gets a buff not only in it's unbuffed state but a MASSIVE one in it's buff state. Stay away from Ludwig's, as you need a ton of high quality gems to get close to the DPS of Tonitrus.

Seriously... if you want to kill a boss, Tonitrus is basically always your best option. Most bosses don't resist bolt well and the buff at minimum stats is equivalent to bolt paper. Toss in a bunch of arcane and suddenly that buff is way better and VERY nasty. So my advice for an Arcane build is to clear Old Yharnum, get kidnapped so you can get to the Gaol early, and get Tonitrus early on. Alternatively, kill Alfred right after Vicar Amelia so you can buy the Wheel.