What are you playing?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=534124906

So, playing Thes Shadows ofs thes Mordors. This guy's my current nemesis...And, err, he's invulnerable to stealth, ranged, finishers and normal combat damage. Only thing he's weak to are explosions. But those you can jsut recover from and come back with a couple of burn scars. I'd really prefer to kill him off, but....How?
If he's immune to combat finishers, then you're stuck with him unless the game promotes someone else to his spot before he revives or decides to just not revive him. So maybe kill him, then get killed? Alternatively, there's still caragors, graugs, and throwing him off a cliff. One of these things might put him out for good, but there's no absolute guarantee if you can't cut his head off.

Welp, correct if I'm wrong, but based on playing Alien: Isolation last night, I think I'm finally getting the hang on Hard mode. I made a lot of progress without dying at a point, and I'm actually close to the end of this mission. I'm kind of glad Jay got me to switch the difficulty; it's been less "I am so scared and never see the Alien, which makes it scarier" and more of me having a gameplay experience. Which is still tense and can be scary, but there is a method to the madness and I'm coming to understand it. The actual game is nothing like Dark Souls, but it does feel like it has that tough love approach to teaching you how to play, and it's working.

So, I bought it.

Should I make my own thread so I'm not bogging this one down or is it okay to keep posting the links here?
I'm watching and it's quite entertaining.

A few gameplay notes :

- If you see a box icon on the map, get it, it's gear upgrades, map updates or schematics!
- Don't hide so much, hide only when the music starts to play.
- Make better use of your consumables. Throw something down the hall, wait for the alien to take bait and start going and don't stop until it plays it's part.
- No running, ever, on hard.
- Those boxes you click on and they play the purification system or alarm? Check where they emit them, very early in gameplay you played the alarm... it was IN THE ROOM YOU WERE IN. LOL.
- The puri system is useful against human, somewhat useful against the alien but does dick against the AI thingies.

If he's immune to combat finishers, then you're stuck with him unless the game promotes someone else to his spot before he revives or decides to just not revive him. So maybe kill him, then get killed? Alternatively, there's still caragors, graugs, and throwing him off a cliff. One of these things might put him out for good, but there's no absolute guarantee if you can't cut his head off.
He's got Monster Slayer, but yes... riding a Graug or Carador is probably the best way to do it. Though getting chewed up by a Carador isn't a sure thing ether: he might just come back with a bag over his face.

The only OTHER way to do it would be to get him weak with normal attacks (hard, but doable) and then to interrogate him when he finally breaks down (he goes green). This has a fairly good chance of popping his head.

I'm watching and it's quite entertaining.

A few gameplay notes :

- If you see a box icon on the map, get it, it's gear upgrades, map updates or schematics!
- Don't hide so much, hide only when the music starts to play.
- Make better use of your consumables. Throw something down the hall, wait for the alien to take bait and start going and don't stop until it plays it's part.
- No running, ever, on hard.
- Those boxes you click on and they play the purification system or alarm? Check where they emit them, very early in gameplay you played the alarm... it was IN THE ROOM YOU WERE IN. LOL.
- The puri system is useful against human, somewhat useful against the alien but does dick against the AI thingies.
I'll keep an eye out for the icon. I feel like I need to hide sometimes just room to room, but I have noticed that sometimes it draws the Alien (probably because Amanda likes to slam everything.) With the boxes, I do forget to check the map, but I've been better about it.

Gonna try to play some more soon, get out of this damn hospital. That fucking synthetic though.

Finished the first 2 hour video. The last 20 minutes was so brutal. Seems like you always went under those vents!

You know your escape? One noisemaker or flare was all you needed.

Finished the first 2 hour video. The last 20 minutes was so brutal. Seems like you always went under those vents!

You know your escape? One noisemaker or flare was all you needed.
I went under vents I didn't even know existed. I gotta say, I don't like that mechanic. Not that it's bad gameplay or anything, but one of the reasons you can get away from the Alien is that you make it so he doesn't know where you are. If he's waiting above for you, he knows where you are, so why not just come down and kill you then? It's odd in conjunction with the rest of how the Alien operates.

Maybe making my own thread wasn't a good idea; probably doesn't merit it. Anyway, here's part 4 from yesterday afternoon.

Excellent, tonight leyla and I will watch the alien continue to win this legendary game of cache cache. She claps when the animale finds you.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Fucking hell.

My internet crashed after about 50 minutes and I have a feeling since I didn't get to close out the broadcast properly, Youtube may not have archived the footage. Guess I'll find out in the morning whether it processed a sustainable video or not. Pisses me off; I was proud of putting the wrench to those two knuckleheads gazing at the flare.

Either way, I'll pick things up again at the transit station. If I lost the footage, there's nothing I can do about it but move on.

EDIT: Okay, apparently if your output cuts out, Youtube just keeps streaming and you have to manually tell it to stop. So worst-case scenario, there'll be twenty minutes of dead air at the end.

Last edited:
Last night's stream was not super exciting after the beginning if you've already played the game. If not, cool playable cutscenes:

Last edited:
Tonight's stream, beginning this very instant. Should be better than last night's cutscene-a-thon, because I just picked up a flamethrower.

EDIT: Gaaaah, how the hell is it even MORE tense when you have the flamethrower? Having a weapon to defend with seems like it should mean the tension stops, but no, knowing you have a chance for some reason makes it so much worse.

Last edited:
I went back to earlier in Alien: Isolation so I could have footage for that, and damn, aside from the androids, it was much easier even on Hard mode. You really do learn this game.

Kirby and the Rainbow Curse: This may be the first Kirby game to challenge me. Can't count how many times I yelled "Kirby, no!" like he was a misbehaving pet. It is fun though. Not something I'd buy, but cute, engaging, and definitely a needed antithesis break from the other game I'm playing.

Interesting, because I actually consider this game to be very rage inducing. I was also trying to play it with my daughter, who could not be worse at video games if she tried.

I plopped down the money for Lego Dimensions. I didn't realize how extremely ingrained in the gameplay the portal mechanic would be. Most of the puzzles and boss battles involve manipulating your mini-figures on the reader.

I had a blast putting everything together.

Interesting, because I actually consider this game to be very rage inducing. I was also trying to play it with my daughter, who could not be worse at video games if she tried.
But you made that special Mario Maker level for her :p.

I do get pissed when Kirby, instead of clinging to the end of the rainbow I draw across him, will ricochet between the end and a wall. But for the most part I can keep him moving the way I want. Also, I've only beaten the first world, so I've got another 20+ levels to go.

Tonight's stream, beginning this very instant. Should be better than last night's cutscene-a-thon, because I just picked up a flamethrower.

EDIT: Gaaaah, how the hell is it even MORE tense when you have the flamethrower? Having a weapon to defend with seems like it should mean the tension stops, but no, knowing you have a chance for some reason makes it so much worse.
Flamethrower reliably works ONCE.

After you used that, the alien will only move back and wait for your precious fuel to run out.

Flamethrower reliably works ONCE.

After you used that, the alien will only move back and wait for your precious fuel to run out.
I seemed to be driving him off a bit, but he does understand to step back. I chased him a couple times ... wasting fuel. I'm in Gemini Labs now and really wish I'd saved some fuel for these vents.

Today's failures:

Sunday morning stream, part 9, starting right as I post this. I really hope I do better than yesterday, because yesterday I was sucking something fierce.

Last edited:
100 chicken sized zombies, if they were zombie-slow. zombie-sized chickens are too terrifying to contemplate - they'd basically be deinonychus.

GasBandit

Staff member
100 chicken sized zombies, if they were zombie-slow. zombie-sized chickens are too terrifying to contemplate - they'd basically be deinonychus.
10 zombie sized chickens, no contest. There ARE chicken sized zombies (child zombies), those fuckers move FAST and they are DEADLY. Chickens are way slower. Also chickens don't wear armor/have weapons.

Man, I'm really excited about the Life is Strange finale coming out tomorrow, but I'm pretty worried that I already know how it's going to end, and I hate the way I think it's going to end.

figmentPez

Staff member
That looks like Minecraft Story Mode, so the chicken-sized zombies would be speedy little bastards.

Human Resource Machine is a very annoying game to play when your computer engineer husband is also playing it right behind you and destroying the crap out of the game while you have the crudest brute force programming of all time and quadruple the maximum challenge number.

Finished Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, and yeah, that did get a little annoying in places. I hate that fucking gondola. Also, while I could handle the crappy maneuvering for the levels, its boss usage was annoying. Also wasn't stoked that bosses 4 through 6 were just the first three bosses with slightly different appearances.

But as a rental, it was fun and cute and for the most part I liked it. It was cool that you could grab re-orchestrated music from earlier Kirby games too.