What are you playing?

You know what I'd still like to be playing? Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Still can't play it, EA app is still not working.

Normally this wouldn't bother me, I'd just say "oh well" and forget about it and play something else. But I'm literally like four missions away from the end of Mass Effect 3, and I just want to finish it. And most of the workarounds online involve something like "uninstall the EA app and install Origin instead", and I think it's rather indicative of how desperately I want to play that I'm actually considering installing Origin.
So on a desperate hunch, I used my phone as a hotspot and connected to it on my laptop, and I immediately managed to connect via the EA app, and Mass Effect Legendary Edition now works. Apparently, for some reason, my home wifi network can't connect to the EA servers, but my phone's hotspot can.

Any ideas on why that might be?

…yes? Though if the tier 1 people at your ISP are anything like the tier 1 people at US ISPs, you might not get anywhere.
The good news is that it is probably not your computer or computer settings’ fault* which means you can leave it out of your troubleshooting entirely. That just leaves your router and everything else between it and EA left to troubleshoot!

—Patrick
*unless you were using two different connection methods (e.g. normally wired Internet but phone was tethered via wifi) which could still mean some kind of interface-related settings issue on your PC.

I wouldn’t count on it. IMO this doesn’t confidently enough fit the pattern for a “Just wait for it to go away” kind of thing.

—Patrick

I've fallen hard into FF14 PVP. I realize this isn't a new game, it's the same game I've been playing for years, but the pvp aspect might as well be its own separate game as each class plays entirely different in pvp mode.

Also Scholar might be op.

I've fallen hard into FF14 PVP. I realize this isn't a new game, it's the same game I've been playing for years, but the pvp aspect might as well be its own separate game as each class plays entirely different in pvp mode.

Also Scholar might be op.
I'd love to get into this but Siren's PVP Community is basically non-existant. I've qued for CC on the weekends and not gotten a match for more than an hour.

I'd love to get into this but Siren's PVP Community is basically non-existant. I've qued for CC on the weekends and not gotten a match for more than an hour.
Which data center is that? Because over on Crystal I've never waited more than a minute pretty much no matter what time I'm playing.

I'm also surprised they don't have cross data center play now

I've been playing through the Pixel Remaster FF's and I'm now into 6. Holy shit it's nuts to see what a leap 6 was over the previous games in presentation, visuals, scope, etc. Not nearly as customizable as 5, but good lord it's easy to see why FF6 blew our fucking socks off at the time (if you were into JRPGs).

THEY VOICE ACTED THE OPERA SCENE, making it WAY less funny.

I've been playing through the Pixel Remaster FF's and I'm now into 6. Holy shit it's nuts to see what a leap 6 was over the previous games in presentation, visuals, scope, etc. Not nearly as customizable as 5, but good lord it's easy to see why FF6 blew our fucking socks off at the time (if you were into JRPGs).

THEY VOICE ACTED THE OPERA SCENE, making it WAY less funny.
That's my favorite scene in all of gaming. 6 is my favorite FF (other than 14) and it still blows my socks off

My most vivid memory of FF6 (which of course was labeled FF3 at the time) is teenage me memorizing all the opera lyrics and singing them out loud everytime I did the opera scene.

The opera music en ff6 didn't impress me the first time I heard it. But it became special to me the second time when Celes was in that cliff.

VI/III is still the one that has the best story/engagement/arc, in my opinion.
it is the only one I have (re)purchased for PC as an adult.

--Patrick

I see the World of Ruin Colosseum is just as stupid in Pixel Remaster as it was on SNES.

All this character has to do is autoattack once and I'll win.

Edgar proceeds to cast reflect on himself, then regen on himself, which reflects onto the Cactaur, then he proceeds to do the same with cure, cura, esuna, poisona and finally uses his noiseblaster 4 times in a row before succumbing to the 1000 Needles attacks.

Just had to hit fight once.

Fuck you.

Also, the sheer number of these that just autokill you before you have a chance to even make one bad move is very frustrating.

Having a craving for a shooty action game, and with apparently a big DLC coming out soon, I decided to give Cyberpunk 2077 another try. It's gotten a ton of free dlc and supposedly it's good now.

After playing it a couple days I uninstalled it again. It still just feels so... vapid. So much missed potential.

But still wanting an action game, I decided to reinstall Control, since I've never done any of the DLC there.

This game still fucking rules.

GasBandit

Staff member
Tried V Rising.

Refunded after 4 hours.

It's shit.

Tedious combat, bad controls, irritating camera, grindy resource gathering... just absolute shit.

Here's a tip, game developers. If the key to beating a low end boss is to dodge his attack then counterattack... 50 times... in exactly the same manner each time... it's not good combat. "Hi I am a regular human being but you would not BELIEVE how many times a vampire with superhuman strength can hit me with a sword before I even show any consternation, much less die."

If the cooldown on a special attack that does all of 15% extra damage once is more than 10 seconds when the cooldown on a regular attack is 0.2 seconds... it's not good combat.

If you have to repeatedly change camera angles while in combat but the act of changing your camera angle precludes you from accurately attacking while you do it because your targeting reticle disappears... IT'S NOT GOOD COMBAT.

Last edited:

Dave

Staff member
Let's not even talk about the "I have to hide in a shadow for an hour real time while the sun sets in a game"....

GasBandit

Staff member
Let's not even talk about the "I have to hide in a shadow for an hour real time while the sun sets in a game"....
I mean, once you get wolf form, which is pretty early, you can dash from shadow to shadow to cross country to get back to your castle. That's not a huge deal. Though it does seem kinda silly that it has to be DIRECT SUNLIGHT to harm your vampire, and even a wispy palm frond is enough to prevent combustion.

So I finally finished Mass Effect 3.

All in all, I liked it. I liked it a lot. It's a satisfying conclusion to the Mass Effect saga and the plot lines developed over the three games. The gameplay was solid, the characters were interesting, the dialog was a bit odd at times but overall serviceable (I'm guessing they changed writers for this game), and the women were all hot. I romanced Tali and promised to build her a home.

And yes, the ending was bizarre, but I knew that going in, and I also knew about the indoctrination theory, so playing the ending with the indoctrination theory in mind actually made everything much better.

Now to do it all again as Femshep and embark on a torrid romance with Liara.

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the new characters in the DLC for Vampire Survivors I just bought is a big fat trash panda who smacks all enemies with his pulsating balls.

Damn, you already got my money, like three times, guys! You sold me already!

1690047044722.png

FEAR MY BALLS

Last edited:
One of the new characters in the DLC for Vampire Survivors I just bought is a big fat trash panda who smacks all enemies with his pulsating balls.

Damn, you already got my money, like three times, guys! You sold me already!
That DLC is from last year, there's already a new one out with a more D&D inspired theme....

GIB MOAR MONEYS PLZ...

GasBandit

Staff member
That DLC is from last year, there's already a new one out with a more D&D inspired theme....

GIB MOAR MONEYS PLZ...
Oh I got them all. I just hadn't gotten any until now because I unlocked 100% before any DLC came out, and then never got around to circling back until the video Dave posted about its development reminded me it existed.