What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Dave the Diver

Oh man is this the cutest skinner box ever. I'm enjoying it, but I am feeling guilty about the time I spend in it for some reason - even though I'm not exactly neglecting anything else to play it.

It just kind of feels overwhelming that it looks like there's SO much to do and unlock and it's like trying to eat an elephant one bite at a time.

So I decided to play more Stellaris.

In Stellaris, there are these stellar empires called Fallen Empires. Fallen Empires are millennia-old empires that have had their days of glory, but now they're content to just hold on to a few systems and planets and sit there idly. They start out with one large, very powerful fleet, and their technological level starts out on par with an end-game player empire. In other words, if you pick a fight with a Fallen Empire at any point during a game, generally speaking they will kick your ass easily, so if you see a Fallen Empire the wisest move is to just leave them alone and not do anything to piss them off.

When certain conditions are fulfilled, however, a Fallen Empire may "awaken". Maybe one of the younger empires has gotten too uppity. Maybe there's a major crisis in the galaxy that necessitates their intervention. Whatever the reason, an Awakened Empire will start to produce ships and attempt to claim territory, just like any other empire. And despite only holding a few planets, their planets are frequently filled with unique technologically-advanced structures that give them outright unfair production capabilities. Coupled with their aforementioned advanced tech levels, an Awakened Empire is capable of churning out large amounts of powerful ships on very short notice. This means an Awakened Empire can be a tremendous threat to players.

Additionally, there can be a relatively rare occurrence where two Fallen Empires both awaken, and declare war on each other. This is referred to in-game as a War in Heaven, because it's basically two god-like empires duking it out. When a War in Heaven breaks out, the younger empires are each given a choice to side with one of the Awakened Empires, though choosing to side with neither is also an option (though not necessarily a good option, because as mentioned it is generally better to have Awakened Empires as friends than as enemies). So, basically, when a War in Heaven breaks out, it often means the galaxy is about to descend into a massive total war involving multiple combatants on each side, and with the unaffiliated empires quietly huddled in a corner, hoping everything will blow over.

So, with that background info out of the way, in my latest playthrough of Stellaris a War in Heaven broke out. I was playing as a Determined Exterminator robot race, which means my empire is literally an entire race of murderbots whose main creed is "kill all organics". This means I can't engage in any diplomacy or trade with organic empires, but it does offer a much more straightforward playstyle: if you see it and it's breathing, kill it. When the War in Heaven started, both of the Awakened Empires were organic, so naturally I refused to join either side. I also didn't want to deal with all this fighting on my doorstep, so I did some quick math to compare my fleet with the fleet of the closer Awakened Empire. I realized that they hadn't had a chance to produce massive fleets yet and thus I probably actually stood a good chance of beating them, so I decided I'm gonna destroy one of the Awakened Empires and thus end the War in Heaven before it even gets going.

My war against the Awakened Empire was grueling, because I also needed to deal with the other empires that had sided with them, and it took longer than I thought, but in the end I managed to destroy the Awakened Empire. Cost me several decades and most of my fleet, which was costly to replace, but ultimately I got it done. But to my surprise, the War in Heaven did not stop. The other Awakened Empire and its allies were still going around attacking people and trying to conquer them. So I figured, well, I've beaten one Awakened Empire already, let's go beat the other one.

So I declared war on the other Awakened Empire, and then promptly got my ass kicked so hard my buttocks felt sore in real life. For you see, I'd made one crucial miscalculation. Beating the first Awakened Empire took several decades, which was more than enough time for the second Awakened Empire to build up its fleets. Furthermore, since the first Awakened Empire's fleets were busy defending their planets against my attacks, this meant they weren't fighting the second Awakened Empire's fleet, and thus the second Awakened Empire's fleet was in pretty much perfect shape. My fleet, capable of beating the first Awakened Empire, was therefore woefully, hilariously outmatched against the second one. What's more, since I'm a Determined Exterminator, which as mentioned does not negotiate with organics, I couldn't negotiate a surrender. I could basically only watch as the Awakened Empire marched its fleets across my borders, pretty much unopposed, and take over my systems at will.

So that's where I closed the game down again, having learned another valuable lesson in Stellaris. That lesson being, basically, don't poke the bear if you don't want your arm gnawed off.

FYI for Baldur's Gate 3 wanters, if you were planning to buy it Day 1, you might as well just pre-order today to get the free digital deluxe upgrade. If you were going to wait, then don't worry about it.

FYI for Baldur's Gate 3 wanters, if you were planning to buy it Day 1, you might as well just pre-order today to get the free digital deluxe upgrade. If you were going to wait, then don't worry about it.
Exactly my reasoning when I gifted a copy to my brother (and for one for myself) for his birthday, which is this weekend.

GasBandit

Staff member
Dave the Diver is such a chill game, but I GET SO STRESSED PLAYING IT. There is literally no fail state, you can't "game over," worst that happens is you lose everything new you picked up in a dive except for one item of your choosing.

But the special events and challenges that happen on a schedule STRESS ME THE FUCK OUT because I MUST BE THE BEST and WIN EVERYTHING THE FIRST TRY so if I even lose a SINGLE SHRED of ingredients for the upcoming Tuna/Marlin/Shark/whatever festival I will TEAR MY OWN FACE OFF WITH A STAPLE REMOVER. Never mind the fact that I always end up with leftovers numbering more than triple what I could possibly have ever sold the night of the festival... THIS TIME I AM SURE IT WILL RUIN MY SUSHI RESTAURANT if I don't haul in 900 metric tons of the fish-of-the week.

Also Mochi the kitten is the cutest thing on earth and I would take a bullet for him.
1691024302847.png

Also also explain to me why the net bombs don't work on sharks, mother fucker. The drone can haul it away alive and thrashing, but the net just "doesn't work?" I bought net bombs and weapon upgrades and it all went to shit because the first toe I put in the ocean a shortfin mako swam through my net bomb like it was a stalk of kelp and tore me to shit despite me unloading an entire clip from my upgraded shock tripel axel at point blank range for maximum damage. I think I took real world psychological damage from that huge waste of pretend money and giant stack of unrealized pretend profits. Thank god there's 3 autosave slots so I can go back and try that bullshit again.

Last edited:
Yeah...I redownloaded it a few weeks back figuring I'd get a head start, then read that early access saves wouldn't carry over and even be playable in the full release. I thought boo but ok I'll wait. Then today I went to see if it'd unlock at 9pm PST like a lot of games do and see that they are requiring full deletion of the early access game files too.

Bah humbug.

Your final game version really skittles be able to install over and remove unwanted files from a beta/EA version.
Especially is it's a 150Gb installation.

“Good night. Sleep well. I’ll most likely delete you in the morning.”

—Patrick
I planned to reroll him anyway to check out the new backgrounds and stuff in the full game, but I had hoped that the early access would count as somewhat of a preload

GasBandit

Staff member
I planned to reroll him anyway to check out the new backgrounds and stuff in the full game, but I had hoped that the early access would count as somewhat of a preload
Everybody was hoping that. Apparently Larian thinks everybody's on gig fiber now or something.

Everybody was hoping that. Apparently Larian thinks everybody's on gig fiber now or something.
I forgot to disable sleep mode on my PC this morning so I wasn't able to remote tell steam to start download at 11am while I was at work.

Guess I'll be playing this tomorrow

Dave

Staff member
A buddy of mine and I started playing it. We got TPK’d at 2nd level thanks to three bad rolls in a row.

GasBandit

Staff member
A buddy of mine and I started playing it. We got TPK’d at 2nd level thanks to three bad rolls in a row.
Reminds me of how in Baldur's Gate 1, I got TPK'd 5 times in a row before I even met Jaheira by the dude who ambushes you at the front door of the inn, because that MIRV magic missile spell is OP at level 1.

Last edited:
It's frustrating that you can't ready actions. Solasta managed to at least partially do it. Otherwise really enjoying it so far.

It's frustrating that you can't ready actions. Solasta managed to at least partially do it. Otherwise really enjoying it so far.
Sadly you can't ready actions but you will automatically take opportunity attacks, so I've been doing things like having my rogue hide behind a door and wait for the enemy to come through

• Informative
Reactions: Far
I feel like Solasta just did a lot of things so much better. Playing co-op and we have to keep announcing every conversation we have so that people can listen in, and not being able to use the best skill person for a skill because "they aren't there" is terrible.

Sadly you can't ready actions but you will automatically take opportunity attacks, so I've been doing things like having my rogue hide behind a door and wait for the enemy to come through
I have opportunity attacks set to ask because I don't want to blow my reactions on it by default.

THINK I LIKE THIS GAEM

Also wasn't expecting there to MORE genitalia options than Cyberpunk. I knew the game was gonna be horny.

When I was figuring out the controls, I ended up with a drow with boobs and a dick. I was ---><--- this close to saying "Fuck it" and just going with it.

Man, humans are bad huh? Packmule race.

Quite a departure from being busted ass powerful in actual 5th edition D&D.

Man, humans are bad huh? Packmule race.

Quite a departure from being busted ass powerful in actual 5th edition D&D.
Variant humans might be added later.

Dragonkin look great but feature wise kinda suck, they don't even get scaling on their breath.

I ended up playing 8 hours straight last night and getting no sleep for work today...