What are you playing?

It's fun for sure, if you're into pet battling, but in the long run I have more fun with Pokemon in terms of the genre. It's a nice addition to WoW though.

I'm playing Baldur's Gate EE and I'm really enjoying it. There are a lot of small enhancements to the gameplay I liked. It ruins smooth and overall I'm happy with my purchase. There are some minor issues but nothing that is worth mentioning.

I'm enjoying the new characters, I've found 3 of them thus far. Sadly due to BG 1 alignment limitations with a good party I cannot make use of the one that was by far the most interesting. Maybe next gameplay.... oooh yesss...

ZombiU (god I hate that freaking name) - So far, I'm loving it. It's nice to have a zombie game that's actually pretty realistic in the way you fight zombies. If you try to take on multiple zombies without a firearm (and sometimes with) you're suicidal. No mowing down walls of zombies, just creeping around trying to survive. It's fantastic. It also makes good use of the unique interface offered by the WiiU gamepad.

Also, best death mechanic in any zombie game ever. When you die, you become a different survivor and the character you previously were becomes a zombie and you need to kill them to retrieve your stuff.

ZombiU (god I hate that freaking name) - So far, I'm loving it. It's nice to have a zombie game that's actually pretty realistic in the way you fight zombies. If you try to take on multiple zombies without a firearm (and sometimes with) you're suicidal. No mowing down walls of zombies, just creeping around trying to survive. It's fantastic. It also makes good use of the unique interface offered by the WiiU gamepad.

Also, best death mechanic in any zombie game ever. When you die, you become a different survivor and the character you previously were becomes a zombie and you need to kill them to retrieve your stuff.
That does sound pretty cool. Not enough for me to get a Wii U, but if a game came around that was worth getting one, I'd definitely be grabbing Zombie U along the way.

The Wii U still sounds too gimmicky to me. I tried Rayman on a demo display at Gamestop and was thoroughly unimpressed. There was no indication of which screen I was supposed to be looking at most times. I'd have my head down, looking at the controller screen and there'd be something on the main screen that I was supposed to be looking at. There was no indication of it on the controller screen. The whole thing just further turned me off of the whole gimmicky crap.

It's really hard to find ones that aren't anymore. Most people hang onto their old games or throw them out after they realize they are worthless on the market.
That's what I'm discovering. If you find a GBA Pokemon game for under $40, there's a good chance it's fake. I didn't know that before. I wouldn't really care, except that they use a battery for the save function instead of a flash drive, which means eventually the save is going to be erased, and the DS Pokemon games don't recognize them as Pokemon games, so I can't upload them to Soul Silver (and then to Black) if I want to keep any of them, pass on Legendaries, etc.

And now I get to go through the fun process that is ebay returns to a guy who probably doesn't speak English too well. Considering a new negative just popped up for him (wasn't there when I bought the games) where the buyer said he sold him a counterfeit and the seller says the buyer tried to scam him by sending back a fake game (aka denial), odds are I'm going to have a great fucking time getting a refund and will probably need to pull ebay in on this.

And I'm still out of two games I was hoping to get to play.

Is it sad that the first thing I thought of when I saw your picture was counterfeit GBA games?

Wrote an article on it once on a friend's shitty video game website years and years ago after I ended up with counterfeit Castlevania games that couldn't hold onto a save past turning off the GBA.

Is it sad that the first thing I thought of when I saw your picture was counterfeit GBA games?

Wrote an article on it once on a friend's shitty video game website years and years ago after I ended up with counterfeit Castlevania games that couldn't hold onto a save past turning off the GBA.
I'm not surprised you could tell since you have some background to it. Now that I've looked at images of legit copies, I can see that they're fake. They don't have the correct highlights or metallic effect that the labels of official ones have; I just didn't know about any of that before today.

Only way I'm going to get legit copies is to hunt down the beat-up "my kid used to play this, please take it off hands, clock battery has run dry" cartridges. Which is fine, but this still sucks.

The shittiest part is 99% of Ebay is that crap. Even the most legit of sellers will end up with the counterfeits.

Starting to wish I'd bought the GBA Pokemon games years ago. They were more expensive, but at least the game stores were carrying them and their copies were legit. I'm seeing different ones online and I know there's no way to know if they're the real deal until I have my hands on them. Not sure it's worth the trouble.

Starting to wish I'd bought the GBA Pokemon games years ago. They were more expensive, but at least the game stores were carrying them and their copies were legit. I'm seeing different ones online and I know there's no way to know if they're the real deal until I have my hands on them. Not sure it's worth the trouble.
I have a copy of Pokemon ruby that I bought way back when it was new, and I no longer have anything capable of playing it.

You know... Just sayin.

Chances are that the battery is completely dead on it. Mine was from when it was new too. Your going to need to buy a new battery and put it in.

The only reason I haven't gotten rid of my DS since getting the 3DS is that it was still the model with the GBA port. I should go back and see about getting some of the older Pokemon as I never really played them.

Tried Endless Space because it's f2p on Steam this weekend; has a nasty habit of crashing on me, but only when I'm doing well in a game. The only time it doesn't seem to crash is when I'm gettin' my butt whooped by the AI. Other than that, it's not a bad game, but the military/ship upgrade thing is a little bit obnoxious. I like having the choice to design my own ships, but to be obligated to do so if I ever want to see an upgrade is a little bit of a pain.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing games on my new Android phone, (mostly from the Humble Bundle for Android #2)

Snuggle Truck : So far I'm having some mindless fun with it, but I haven't gotten to the more difficult levels yet. We'll see if it holds up if/when I start pulling my hair out trying to earn medals.

Zen Bound 2: Not so mindless, and much slower paced, but I kinda like it. Something is not quite right about the interface, but it works well enough. I'm still on early levels, so I'm not sure how I'll feel as I progress, but right now it's a nice thoughtful game.

Canabalt: I don't really like this one. It's a great concept, and it looks even better than other versions I've played, but it just doesn't draw me in.

Angry Birds: I just had to try this one with all the marketing blitz it's done. I can see why it's caught on, and it pushes some of my buttons, but not quite enough. When I'm playing, I want to keep going, but it's not something that calls me when I'm away.

Playing Metro 2033 from the Humble THQ Bundle.

A hooker beat me up and stole my money.

Also, I've only played up to the money-stealing hooker, but this feels like an incredibly railroaded experience. I mean, even the Half-Life games weren't this linear. Maybe it'll get better later, I dunno.

Still fun though.

Also, I've only played up to the money-stealing hooker, but this feels like an incredibly railroaded experience. I mean, even the Half-Life games weren't this linear. Maybe it'll get better later, I dunno.

Still fun though.
No, it's VERY linear. This is because it's based on a book and because of how story plays out. The Metro is not a world for you to explore; it's a death trap that you need to survive.

It's still a very compelling story and it has great atmosphere.

figmentPez

Staff member
Naw, it's pretty much that linear. There are very few open areas or branching paths. It's a great game, though I felt the ending had too many quicktime-events. (Hey! Mash a button so we know you're still paying attention!)

Still fun though.
I've heard playing the game in Russian with subs is a better experience, also.[DOUBLEPOST=1354425190][/DOUBLEPOST]As for me, mostly on Guild Wars 2 lately. Just about done with Tales of Graces F. My brother just picked up Dishonored, so I suppose I'll give that a try eventually too.

I am playing Baldur's Gate: EE and getting a lesson on how much easier games like this are now. Wasn't paying close enough attention and had been mowing down ghouls and zombies in this outdoor area. Well, one of them was a ghast and he right fucked up my party with instant death touches and diseases.

Yes....

Playing only BG : EE, I miss these type of games. I'm close to Chapter 4 now with most outside areas explored. Party is around LVL 6. My comp for a good party :

Me (A Human Warrior 18/00, 18, 18, 8, 8, 10) for all our tanking needs.
Minsc (Ranger)
Kivan (Ranger)
Jaheira (Warrior/Druid) - built for pure heals
Imoen (Theif/Dualed to Mage) - pure defensive
Neera (Mage) - pure offense

Low of the Divine spells but doing very well in big fights.