What are you playing?

I usually went Cleric exactly because of the lack of divine spells and because Minsc could usually tank well enough (or Jaheira's husband could do it too). Especially because you could get that very nice warhammer early on from the crazy cleric and his zombies.

In BG 1 the only Cleric I find worthy for the role is Jaheira in a Good party or the even better Viconia for a Neutral or Evil party.

I ended up going Thief or dualclassing it with something most runs of BG/NWN because the Thief characters were lame and I hated them (or were never good enough to pick the locks at late game). My preferred was usually Paladin, though in NWN I really liked the Blackguard and the Dwarf only Prestige tank class (I forget the name).

BG 2 is notorious for having mediocre thieves at best. Yoshi is OK by all means but expect him to be pretty much average for combat means which is fine if you were roleplaying him with friends but when a game tends to put your group against liches, you need the good shit, not a character who puts up a bit more dps than your wizard on auto shoot does.

I think NWN had the best Thief, and she was a Bard/Thief. Sharwyn was top shelf. Linu was a close second, and I enjoyed Daelan Red Tiger when I played squishy classes like Sorc or Bard.

figmentPez

Staff member
BG 2 is notorious for having mediocre thieves at best. Yoshi is OK by all means but expect him to be pretty much average for combat means which is fine if you were roleplaying him with friends but when a game tends to put your group against liches, you need the good shit, not a character who puts up a bit more dps than your wizard on auto shoot does.
Unless you seriously abuse traps.

Which I did. Horribly.

I know there were many many ways of preparing for certain encounters but I tried to remain true to the roleplaying experience of the game. I rather collect more spells, gain another level and prepare fairly rather than drop 20 traps in front of where he'll spawn.

This gave me probably the best experiences of my life, particularly when you confront your nemesis in the form of an ancient red dragon and literally have a 15 minute fight that completely and utterly drains you and your group and not lose anyone.

figmentPez

Staff member
Jay, you are a better RPer than I, and I applaud you for that. I don't have the patience that gets rewarded in such epic battles. I abused Simulacrum to summon other minions, and a lot of my battles took place off-screen. It got me through the game, but at the expense of feeling that type of deep satisfaction.

I always refused to use traps, but I'd stun/daze/staus effect the shit out of bosses when it was possible. Dragons were always nasty since they're practically immune to everything forever.

It's easy to abuse the game in many ways, playing with fog of war, pathfinding issues, trap abuse, spell layouts that don't make sense but I'll be damned if my Druid doesn't have Summon insects and throws that to the enemy party's mage right after a spell thrust hit him from my mage.

I pause the game as the insects start eating away at his health and failing to cast his next spell.

You can literally zoom in and read the

qMmrK.png

on his face as both my rangers start using him as a pin cousshin for their arrows.

I'm still trying to decide on what class to go through as. I've started like 12 characters already.

On those official forums, someone was talking about how they rolled 5 18s and a 10. That's impossible, unless Overhaul changed how the rolls worked in the update of the game.

Ha ha ha, now that's some luck. Just made a fighter that uses a bastard sword. Bought myself spensive things and had no money left afterwards. That first dude that attacks you in one of the buildings in Candlekeep must've had stoneskin or something cause my sword broke after it's first hit.

Ha ha ha, now that's some luck. Just made a fighter that uses a bastard sword. Bought myself spensive things and had no money left afterwards. That first dude that attacks you in one of the buildings in Candlekeep must've had stoneskin or something cause my sword broke after it's first hit.
This is story related. Switch to magic weapon ASAP if you don't want this to happen for a good part of the first Chapter.

This is story related. Switch to magic weapon ASAP if you don't want this to happen for a good part of the first Chapter.
Oh I'm well aware. I've just never had a weapon break on me on the first swing.

And I just learned a lesson about exploring....a pack of wolves containing 4 dire wolves, 6 dread wolves and 2 vampiric wolves is a little bit much for a level 2 party to deal with.

Finished Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 with 100% :D Just missing a couple PSN trophies, but all I wanted was 100% completion in-game!
Finished the Uncharted series and I want to play them all again. I really appreciated the mindfuck in Uncharted 3... @%@(# I want to play through the series again now and look for more shinies!

Been playing A LOT of Rock Band 3. Finally picked up 3 and downloaded lots of new songs! I hate seeing just how many songs we've bought though... good lord that is a lot of money. But hey, we play a lot, so it's worth it! :D
Working on Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask. I <3 puzzle games!

Got a lot to play with now that my brother's gotten his birthday presents. On top of finishing Tales of Graces F (just about done), he snagged Dishonored, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed III and Dark Souls. Plus, I still have Uncharted 1 and 2 to finish because I keep forgetting about them.

Got a lot to play with now that my brother's gotten his birthday presents. On top of finishing Tales of Graces F (just about done), he snagged Dishonored, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed III and Dark Souls. Plus, I still have Uncharted 1 and 2 to finish because I keep forgetting about them.
That's a pretty dense chunk of awesome games right there.

Current games owned and on my immediate -To Play- list:

BRINK
Costume Quest
Dead Space 1 &2
Hitman 1-4
Just Cause 1 &2
LA Noire: Complete Edition
LIMBO
Mass Effect 1-3
Metro 2033
Psychonauts
Thief 1-3

And that's just my STEAM list.... all of these are games I've never played but have got on sale at one point.

Just a highlight of PS3 games I have waiting:
Assassin's Creed 1-5
Dishonored
Saints Row 3: Complete Package
Heavy Rain

And what do I play most of my gaming time on? Borderlands 2 and WoW :confused:

Dishonored is kind of amazing. I highly recommend it. Heavy Rain is pretty good too, but I wished those guys released a game more than once a console generation.

Current games owned and on my immediate -To Play- list:

BRINK
Costume Quest
Dead Space 1 &2
Hitman 1-4
Just Cause 1 &2
LA Noire: Complete Edition
LIMBO
Mass Effect 1-3
Metro 2033
Psychonauts
Thief 1-3

And that's just my STEAM list.... all of these are games I've never played but have got on sale at one point.

Just a highlight of PS3 games I have waiting:
Assassin's Creed 1-5
Dishonored
Saints Row 3: Complete Package
Heavy Rain

And what do I play most of my gaming time on? Borderlands 2 and WoW :confused:
So essentially, you have 12 billion hours of games to play without factoring in WoW.

And Jay , according to metacritic, on most platforms Dishonored has less favorable reviews than Mass Effect 3. You tell me if that's overrated.

So essentially, you have 12 billion hours of games to play without factoring in WoW.

And Jay , according to metacritic, on most platforms Dishonored has less favorable reviews than Mass Effect 3. You tell me if that's overrated.
I know I know.... I never even fully finished Skyrim either. Le'sigh.

It gathers many critical ratings together. It's a ratings aggregate.
I think he was pointing out that virtually no one in the gaming community uses Metacritic scores as a qualitative argument, mainly because they ether don't know about the site or don't care about it. It basically only exists as a tool for publishers to number crunch critical response and then use those numbers to punish/reward developers for meeting artificially ambiguous thresholds. It's unimportant to the gaming community at large except in how it negatively affects the industry.

Or he could be serious and not know what it is. I dunno.

I think he was pointing out that virtually no one in the gaming community uses Metacritic scores as a qualitative argument, mainly because they ether don't know about the site or don't care about it. It basically only exists as a tool for publishers to number crunch critical response and then use those numbers to punish/reward developers for meeting artificially ambiguous thresholds. It's unimportant to the gaming community at large except in how it negatively affects the industry.

Or he could be serious and not know what it is. I dunno.
He's Serious Jay, how could he not be serious?