What are you playing?

GasBandit

Staff member
Into a Darkest Dungeon fix right now after watching some streams of Darkest Dungeon 2 being played.
I've always enjoyed the game but would lose interest after a few in-game weeks as my teams would utterly destruct due to stress and then my Hamlet to bankruptcy. I just wasn't very good at stress mitigation.
Getting back into it, I've had a blast checking out some other folks playing on Twitch/YouTube (OldManSethus, ShuffleFM) and working my way through. The Steam Sale put the price right down to dollars so I picked up all the DLC as well. :)
The art, music, narration, animation - just all so good. Lots of hard choices to make too. :)
I played the hell out of darkest dungeon. There are some mods I highly recommend -

Inventory Unlimited Stacks Takes a little bit of the edge off of inventory management
All 7 Skills Usable Lets you use all 7 skills instead of having to pick 4 per character (assuming you've trained them). Also addon mods for any DLC characters such as Flagellant, Musketeer, or Shieldbreaker
Remove Dungeons Level Restriction Lets higher level heroes still visit lower level missions, helps in mentoring new recruits to get them up to snuff.

Additionally, some cosmetic mods I like -
Classic Headers Restores original artwork to the screens for some of the classes that got inexplicable art redesigns
edit - apparently UPEP Lite got removed from the workshop
Furious Hellion Skin

Last edited:
Edit: if you don't mind early access, I'd recommend World of Horror. It's a very Junji Ito inspired procedurally generated adventure game. Saving was disabled in the last build I played, but sessions can run from having to complete one to five short stories with random elements so it's not likely to waste your time if you don't want it to
I absolutely adore World of Horror. It's definitely worth the price.

1.) You can save and stop your game to resume later.
2.) It hasn't had an update in over a year because some serious real life shit happened to the developer...
3.) ... but the developer has been posting information and screen shots since late October for an upcoming major update. We're getting some new mysteries and a new god at least, as well as more stuff for making your own adventures!

2.) It hasn't had an update in over a year because some serious real life shit happened to the developer...
3.) ... but the developer has been posting information and screen shots since late October for an upcoming major update. We're getting some new mysteries and a new god at least, as well as more stuff for making your own adventures!
Hadn't played it in a while, good to know it's not dead yet. Thx

So after all that whining I've decided to just accept the wonky physics and teleporting ghouls and go with the unlocked FPS. I just couldn't handle the input lag of vsync. It felt so off.

A legendary super mutant dropped a minigun with the neverending legendary mod. No reloading, no ammo concerns. WELP, guess I'm just a moving turret sequence from a regular FPS now.

Go brrrrrrrrr.

EDIT- 50 minutes later.

Apparently it does run out of ammo. I just had like 9800 5mm rounds.

Last edited:
So after all that whining I've decided to just accept the wonky physics and teleporting ghouls and go with the unlocked FPS. I just couldn't handle the input lag of vsync. It felt so off.

A legendary super mutant dropped a minigun with the neverending legendary mod. No reloading, no ammo concerns. WELP, guess I'm just a moving turret sequence from a regular FPS now.

Go brrrrrrrrr.

EDIT- 50 minutes later.

Apparently it does run out of ammo. I just had like 9800 5mm rounds.
In the nukaworld dlc there is a laser Gatling that really is infinite ammo

Nuka-World has all the best weapons.

The Disciples Cutlass is the best melee weapon, and the two Furious hand-made rifles are the best ballistic weapons.

There's so much that pisses me off about this game.

"Ad victoriam." "She doesn't know what that means."

"It means.."explains what it means.

Why not have an intelligence check there?? She's supposed to be a fucking psychologist according to the intro and she probably went to fucking school. The checks are purely to skip content or to get more money, nothing else. FUCK. There are so many missed opportunities to make this game GOOD that are just left empty. Hire writers for fuck's sake. Don't have all your God damn writers also be coders and level designers. What do I know I guess.

Why not have an intelligence check there?? She's supposed to be a fucking psychologist according to the intro and she probably went to fucking school. The checks are purely to skip content or to get more money, nothing else. FUCK. There are so many missed opportunities to make this game GOOD that are just left empty. Hire writers for fuck's sake. Don't have all your God damn writers also be coders and level designers. What do I know I guess.
Because the devs apparently felt that skill checks are for chumps. I'm pretty sure the only speech checks in the game are charisma checks, at least until Far Harbor came around.

The institute can make people live forever, teleport (a God technology that would change the world), create perfect androids but they just....do whatever the fuck it is they're doing?

The last time I played (at launch) the must kill everyone else segment of the game pissed me off so badly. This time I'm gonna relish cleansing this fucking stupidity. Even if I have to mod the ability to remove the immortal NPC tag from everyone.

I finished the main campaign of Hitman and also played through the Patient Zero campaign. Reached level 20 mastery for all destinations, and even set the high score for almost every level on my Steam friends list. Which only consists of Nick and Calleja, but still. I still haven't beaten Nick's score for Paris though... you got Silent Assassin in 5 minutes???

All in all, I like this game a lot. Playing it the "proper" way is still just as satisfying, of course, such as sneaking into a location, taking out your targets, and leaving with no one the wiser. Going loud and playing it like a third-person shooter is also fun. And, of course, there's the "compromise" playstyle between the two, in which I play like the Predator, sneaking around and taking people out one by one, and eventually the guards start to find the dead corpses of their comrades, and start to get more and more panicked and confused. This game is great for satisfying one's mass murderer proclivities.

I also liked how the Patient Zero bonus campaign shook things up. The sniper mission in Colorado was a nice change of pace, and the Hokkaido mission felt like the devs knew some players would want to depopulate the whole level, so they finally gave such players an in-game justification to do so.

I'm probably going to get the sequel in the Steam Christmas sale.

Video game writing is sooo underappreciated. Most of what people say they like about games is the filler

FFXIV... eventually.
It's early release day for the new expansion, and there's a bit of a queue to get in. That said, my place in line has gone from ~1200th to ~200th in 10-15mins, so it's really not that bad.

FFXIV... eventually.
It's early release day for the new expansion, and there's a bit of a queue to get in. That said, my place in line has gone from ~1200th to ~200th in 10-15mins, so it's really not that bad.
Same!...but I forgot to download it! See you 17 gigs later.

Got an update! Looks like a big one :3

Ha! I got up at 4am to beat the rush. Got hit with a launcher that wouldn't load for awhile.
One of my biggest problems is remembering my rotations. I put down FFXIV after finishing Shadowbringers so I could focus on school, and they've switched up Monk again and I'm gonna have to go spend a couple hours to relearn.

GasBandit

Staff member
One of my biggest problems is remembering my rotations. I put down FFXIV after finishing Shadowbringers so I could focus on school, and they've switched up Monk again and I'm gonna have to go spend a couple hours to relearn.
Warhammer Online had this problem too on some classes. Certain attacks had to be done in certain orders which chained into certain other stances which enabled certain other moves and the whole rotation could get thrown out if you suddenly got in a parry because THEN you needed to use an even better attack that required a parry to enable.

So, somebody came up with a mod for the game called NerfedButtons, that dynamically changed your action bar according to conditions that you specify. If you really worked it, it was possible to set it up so that all the decisions you'd make in real-time could be handled by NerfedButtons, and you could reduce every attack down to a single button on your bar, that just so happened to always be assigned to the appropriate attack for that given instant.

And then you could set up a second button for all your heals, given that you had quick small heals and slow big heals and instant-cast heal-over-time etc etc etc... you could program your decision making process into nerfedbuttons for that spot on your bar, so you only need one "heal" button. Mine went something like "If my current target is friendly and dead, this button is resurrect. If it is below 25%, this button is my instant-cast full heal (that is on a long reuse timer). If that isn't available, under 25s get my fastest heal (so I can spam the button over and over). If it is between 50% and 25%, this button is my slow, big heal. If it is between 75% and 50%, it's my small fast heal. In any other circumstance, this button is my heal-over-time (so that I can keep HOT up on allies that aren't in dire straits)."

And then my third button was buff, which basically went "if my friendly target doesn't have buff1, this button is buff1, else if it doesn't have buff2, this button is buff 2, else if..." through all the buffs I'd cast on an ally.

It really made the game a lot more fun when I was able to reduce my action bars from 32 buttons to 6.

A lot of sweaty tryhards got real upset about that mod, called it cheating. The rest of us loved it.

Warhammer Online had this problem too on some classes. Certain attacks had to be done in certain orders which chained into certain other stances which enabled certain other moves and the whole rotation could get thrown out if you suddenly got in a parry because THEN you needed to use an even better attack that required a parry to enable.

So, somebody came up with a mod for the game called NerfedButtons, that dynamically changed your action bar according to conditions that you specify. If you really worked it, it was possible to set it up so that all the decisions you'd make in real-time could be handled by NerfedButtons, and you could reduce every attack down to a single button on your bar, that just so happened to always be assigned to the appropriate attack for that given instant.

And then you could set up a second button for all your heals, given that you had quick small heals and slow big heals and instant-cast heal-over-time etc etc etc... you could program your decision making process into nerfedbuttons for that spot on your bar, so you only need one "heal" button. Mine went something like "If my current target is friendly and dead, this button is resurrect. If it is below 25%, this button is my instant-cast full heal (that is on a long reuse timer). If that isn't available, under 25s get my fastest heal (so I can spam the button over and over). If it is between 50% and 25%, this button is my slow, big heal. If it is between 75% and 50%, it's my small fast heal. In any other circumstance, this button is my heal-over-time (so that I can keep HOT up on allies that aren't in dire straits)."

And then my third button was buff, which basically went "if my friendly target doesn't have buff1, this button is buff1, else if it doesn't have buff2, this button is buff 2, else if..." through all the buffs I'd cast on an ally.

It really made the game a lot more fun when I was able to reduce my action bars from 32 buttons to 6.

A lot of sweaty tryhards got real upset about that mod, called it cheating. The rest of us loved it.
That sounds pretty neat. I don't mind games playing themselves as long as you have to set up the parameters like in final fantasy 12. I would bitch about this if people were doing it in pvp tho

GasBandit

Staff member
That sounds pretty neat. I don't mind games playing themselves as long as you have to set up the parameters like in final fantasy 12. I would bitch about this if people were doing it in pvp tho
Therein lies the rub. The endgame for Warhammer Online was entirely PvP.

But IMO it's still not cheating. It got around the "no macros" rule for addons because all it did was swap around what is assigned to buttons on your hotbar. YOU still have to push the button for anything to happen. Granted, you could just hammer the button over and over and it would always be the "right" button by what you've defined as what you want to hit when in any given circumstance, but you still have to target, you still have to decide things and click things, but the amount of logic required to select what was the best attack for any given moment was utterly ridiculous. Especially given that the window for things like parry-attacks literally closes with your next attack, so if you hit something else, even the next normal attack in your chain/rotation, you squander the parry.

Some people thought it was cheating, but I don't.

I did something ELSE that WAS entirely cheating - I found a way to get around the line of sight requirements on resurrection spells, so I could rez allies through walls. Kinda gave my guild an advantage in PvP siege defenses, because my warband could act much more brazen and fearlessly and take more chances without having to worry about "if I die out here my friends won't be able to get me up from inside the keep we're defending."

Reactions: Cat
Same!...but I forgot to download it! See you 17 gigs later.
I downloaded the entire game and it only took me 20 min lol.

THAT SAID
LOL I got a new computer since I last played, and RIP my hotbars and item sets.

Last edited:
Therein lies the rub. The endgame for Warhammer Online was entirely PvP.

But IMO it's still not cheating. It got around the "no macros" rule for addons because all it did was swap around what is assigned to buttons on your hotbar. YOU still have to push the button for anything to happen. Granted, you could just hammer the button over and over and it would always be the "right" button by what you've defined as what you want to hit when in any given circumstance, but you still have to target, you still have to decide things and click things, but the amount of logic required to select what was the best attack for any given moment was utterly ridiculous. Especially given that the window for things like parry-attacks literally closes with your next attack, so if you hit something else, even the next normal attack in your chain/rotation, you squander the parry.

Some people thought it was cheating, but I don't.

I did something ELSE that WAS entirely cheating - I found a way to get around the line of sight requirements on resurrection spells, so I could rez allies through walls. Kinda gave my guild an advantage in PvP siege defenses, because my warband could act much more brazen and fearlessly and take more chances without having to worry about "if I die out here my friends won't be able to get me up from inside the keep we're defending."
If I'm understanding this correctly it's using algorithms that you define to swap your skills out on the fly, which no player would be skilled enough to do on their own. If I'm grouping with people I'd rather they have this as an option to keep up but it would be impossible to fight anyone if I was not also doing this

GasBandit

Staff member
If I'm understanding this correctly it's using algorithms that you define to swap your skills out on the fly, which no player would be skilled enough to do on their own. If I'm grouping with people I'd rather they have this as an option to keep up but it would be impossible to fight anyone if I was not also doing this
Ehhh, not really. You get 6 action bars with 12 buttons each, so you really could have all your skills available at any time vanilla, but truth be told, individual offensive button pressing did not make very much of a difference in endgame PVP. That'd be more of a duelist thing, where it becomes super important in 1v1.

But Warhammer never has 1v1. At its lowest level (which is literally level 1), PVP is 24 vs 24, and in the endgame, it's literally hundreds vs hundreds of players. The group size limit is 24 people, incidentally. And, as in all MMOs, the real decider is gear. Players with higher tier gear will always outperform players with lower tier gear.

But the real decider in who wins fights is which side:
1) gets to the objective firstest with the mostest.
2) coordinates better amongst themselves.

24 players mashing the default attack will beat 24 players with nerfedbuttons if they flank them at just the right moment (one of my favorite maneuvers was, right when they manage to break down the front gate, we go over the walls and hit their rear line while their tanks and DPS run inside).

So really, all nerfedbuttons did was make an unnecessary and distracting headache more manageable. Well, that, and make PvE MUCH more efficient. Because where it DOES make a huge difference is in whittling down jillion-hitpoint mobs. Players die fast. Farming PvE benefits from every single increase in efficiency.

Ah ok, I'm not familiar with the game so I was thinking of how op this would be in a duel. It sounds like this should have been a feature

GasBandit

Staff member
Ah ok, I'm not familiar with the game so I was thinking of how op this would be in a duel. It sounds like this should have been a feature
I agree. And you seem to understand it correctly. It would be OP in 1v1 of the same class. But 1v1, the game is horribly unbalanced. 1v1, it's basically just a game of rock-paper-scissors where one class always beats another, and a warrior priest would destroy almost any other class (other than a desciple of khaine, which is the chaos carbon copy of a warrior priest, or a witch elf, which specializes in surprise burst damage that I might not be able to outheal in time without Morale abilities which only build up over the course of sustained combat) because they're a melee DPS/healing hybrid, who can literally damage, heal, and heal as a result of doing damage.

I played Warrior Priest for almost my entire Warhammer Online career. I focused primarily on support, but in 1v1 I could pretty much outlast anything that couldn't stunlock me (again - Witch Elf). The neat thing is if the witch elf botched the stun, I could detaunt her and then outheal her damage pretty easily.

That was another thing I liked about Warhammer Online... taunts and "de-taunts" had PvP use... in that taunting a target made it do bonus damage to you but reduced damage against anyone else, while de-taunting would cut their damage against you in half but wore off immediately if you attacked them.

But the thing I loved most about Warhammer Online was that PvE was entirely optional. So many times I leveled from 1 to max level purely in PvP scenarios and battlefields. I leveled and deleted something like over 50 warrior priests, because PvP (or RvR as they call it) was fun, and I hated PvE grinding. And the game also made slain players drop generated gear and loot currency (so that you got equipment rewards for winning in PvP but didn't lose any gear if you lost in PvP), and this PvP-generated gear was on par with any PvE-attained gear, so you could deck yourself out by killing other players just as easily, if not more easily, than doing traditional PvE.

Aaand boy did I go off on a rambling tangent.

Yeah I am totally ok with breaking rules to aid players like that. That combat system sounds ridiculously complicated for anyone

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah I am totally ok with breaking rules to aid players like that. That combat system sounds ridiculously complicated for anyone
By max level, yes, it definitely was. Fortunately, it was mitigated somewhat by level 1s starting off simple (you get 1 attack, 1 heal, 1 buff) and adding abilities slowly as you level up so you can try them out and see how they work.

But yes, by level 40 (Which was max level), a player running without nerfedbuttons would need every one of those 72 buttons spread across 6 action bars.

So you can see the allure of reducing your dependence down to 6 buttons.

Reactions: Cat
I'd check this out if I wasn't trying out FF14 and ESO already, and every open world driving game I can torrent

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd check this out if I wasn't trying out FF14 and ESO already, and every open world driving game I can torrent
I feel you. I've just been lumping all this praise on it... and I'm not playing it even though fans took it over after it closed down and now it can be played for free.

But it is mostly because I'm deathly afraid of getting that MMO monkey back on my back after years of being clean.

Meh, at least it's a cheap drug. I've felt like I've had plenty of money ever since I quit drinking

I was addicted to energy drinks too, the cost of snack food can sneak up on you