Whats for Dinner?

Well they are fit for human consumption. You just don't want to know how they are made.

Scottish proverb "No one wants to really know how laws or sausages are made."

Last edited:
I'm coming to the conclusion that if it wasn't for my deep-seated need to show off for women, I woulda never learned how to cook at all. ;)

Did a couple of racks of pork ribs today, about 7 hours of cooking time. They were very tender. Used part of a Christmas present that my daughter gave me, rib rub and bbq sauce from Q39 in Kansas City.

At the start
5EE93CE8-D993-450E-BD6C-AD61B5F9D27C.jpeg

About halfway through
B1CA17BE-F1A8-4AAC-9732-B48EB784E626.jpeg

And after the sauce was cooked at the end
924CC1B1-4EB7-4804-B31E-23906D0F0482.jpeg

A Korean feast; galbi (slow-cooked shortribs), sigeumchi namul (spicy blanched spinach), gaji bokkeum (stir-fried eggplant), gochujang-marinated porkchops, rice, sesame-dressed broccoli, and kimchi.

Plates sensibly spaced in this time of social distancing. (not quite 5ft but shh)

With some close-ups:

2020-03-27 18.47.29.jpg

Got up early and made myself a treat, skillet potato hash with cured ham, onions, egg, and fresh herbs.

Last edited:
I didn't take any photos, though I really wish I had, so instead I'm going to share some new Quarantine recipes!

I've been trying new stuff because a)I don't have access to all my usual ingredients, b) while I did stock up, Mr. Z did the last bit of shopping, which means I have a lot of stuff I don't usually use, and c) I'm trying not to make the same thing every day. So the following experiments were a big hit!

One Pan Spicy Mexican Rice Skillet
Very easy to make. I don't have any black beans, but I substituted with kidney beans and it was still yummy.

Veggie Fritters w/ Dipping Sauce
I wasn't able to make the dipping sauce, but it wasn't needed. We used frozen brocolli, cauliflower, carrots and corn, I added some crushed black pepper and a sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan and *chef's kiss*

Garlic Butter Baked Salmon
Another easy, 1-pan meal, since you cook the potatoes and asparagus on the same pan.

Garlic Roasted Potatoes
Easy and tasty. I made these with some oven roasted cauliflower (just sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook on a baking sheet) and chicken wings. The best part is all 3 can cook at 400°F for a half hour (the wings will need an extra 15 minutes, so give them a head start) and every gets done in the oven at once.