World of Warcraft: Mists of Panderia **RAAAAANT**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very well.

With that response, victory is mine then.

thumb-sideshow bob.jpg

You can go ahead and enjoy Panda Online, I have other victories in this forum to find.

Having been raiding since the beginning of the game, gotta side with Jay here. I have no problem with Mists of Pandaria, I find Pandaren to be a valid race option, but that doesn't mean the game isn't heading to casual land.

Saying Cataclysm catered to casuals is about the opposite of true, it killed the game for casual gamers. The raids were all exceptionally difficult. The heroics were all exceptionally difficult. The guild level system killed casual small guilds almost entirely.

The raid content was hard to start but it also got nerfed faster than usual. Guild leveling killed small guilds but catered to the giant mega guilds full of casuals and alts.

Having been raiding since the beginning of the game, gotta side with Jay here. I have no problem with Mists of Pandaria, I find Pandaren to be a valid race option, but that doesn't mean the game isn't heading to casual land.
I guess you missed the part where they're eliminating Normal Mode dungeons, added a LFR to keep casuals out of real raids (while giving them no real rewards past some weak gear and basic info). They added a mini-game for casuals and that's it. The end game today is harder than it's ever been and I've also been raiding since the beginning, I was a server first raider and even I know nothing but Sunwell has been as difficult as Heroic raiding is now. So yeah, I'm not seeing the "headed in a casual direction". They're giving alot of things for casuals to do, but the game is definitely headed to a more "end-game" style of gaming.

I'm so ridiculously sick of hearing "The new WoW xpac is Kung Fu Panda, Jack Black lol!!!! WoW is dead blah blah blah".

If anything, Kung Fu Panda ripped off Ranma 1/2 (20yrs ago), Tekken (10yrs ago) and Panderans have been in WoW lore since 2003 (Not the April Fools Joke) but the stories of Chen Stormstout and all the lore that was written in the RPG books (they're not cannon but they pre-date Kung Fu Panda by years) as well as all the information that's been released that Panderan were originally going to be released as the Alliance class in Burning Crusade, also a full year prior to Kung Fu Panda.
Yeah, this is Blizzard we're talking about, none of that means that they didn't copy stuff of Kung Fu Panda...

I mean pop culture references are their bread and butter.

Just look at the UED propaganda ads in Brood War and then at the propaganda ads in the Starship Troopers film. When ST came out here in '99 i thought they where ripping off Blizzard until i found out the movie came out in '97 originally, we just got it really late.

Panderan were originally going to be released as the Alliance class in Burning Crusade, also a full year prior to Kung Fu Panda.
That so explains the needless retcon of the Eredar being corrupted by Sargeras instead of being evil already and actually contributing to driving him crazy...

Shannow

Staff member
I, for one, look forward to MoP. I have signed for the 1 year deal, and get my free Diablo 3 out of it, since I do not plan to cancel my sunscription anyways. And yes, I find the game fun now, and chaallenging with heroic modes. Looking back, like may of you, I too have played since Vanilla launch, and raided every tier of the game as they came out. You know what I like now? The option of things to do in the game, as to compared what was available then, and throughout.

regardless, this basically comes down to a like it or not argument, and really, there is no right/winning side to those.

fade

Staff member
How about some input from a casual? I have probably payed for 6 months, distributed evenly from the first days to as recently as last month when Shegokigo talked up the game so much I had to try it again. I am the quintessential casual. I make no claims regarding stats, etc.

Generally, I'll pay for a month, get really excited, and play like crazy for about the first week. Then I'll realize that when it comes down to it, nothing has really changed since 2005. Sure, small things, but the overall game is still the same. The biggest change I've noticed is that leveling speed has drastically increased since the beginning. That, and UI candy now tells you exactly what to do, as if the game wasn't easy enough. I start off like the Benny Hill song, and end up on an occasional beat on an old snare drum.

I don't particularly feel the game has changed at all for casuals. Every change feels to me like it happens for the high level hardcore dedicated types. I'm sick to death of being told that I'm bored with wow because I haven't done the endgame, and I have to deal with boring grinding to get to the fun stuff. I don't understand that statement. You're telling me I have to work to enjoy a game? How does that make any sense? It's a game--by definition it should be fun. I hate having wieners 'lol' at my character because I didn't pick the ONE APPROVED TALENT SPEC (TM), or because I didn't follow the Bible-approved set of keypresses in a dungeon instance.

(For the record, I have several reasonably high level characters at this point--a 65 Night Elf Druid, an 50-something human paladin, and a 57ish troll shaman, so I'm not talking level 10 characters here).

I hope by "raiding" you meant attacking other players in their cities. Because if you meant smacking the same ubermob with 40 other neckbeards for 3 hours, I have some bad news for you.
I miss the good old days of causing havoc on the goblin zepplins with my Paladin, and I definitely miss the city attacks that used to be launched. I remember that the tram in Ironforge was always getting invaded by the horde and we would have to muster a defense to clear them out. That was way more fun that the rest of the damn game. Then people started bitching and whining and the guards got buffed to obscene levels so you couldn't do shit in the opposing factions areas anymore. Lame.

I played from the beta until just before the first expansion was launched. Never looked back.

City attacks still happened up until recently on my server. The funniest shit was suckering an Alliance in attacking Gamon and having him wreck house.

B

Biannoshufu

back in the day before BC, raiding Undercity was hilarious and made the game fun.

now? Fucking kung fu Pandas.

I had posted this, due to my frustations with the mindless massess at Genearl Offical Forums and MMO Champion, honestly had hoped to make intelligent people understand that there's more to it than a passing resemblance to something it's not even remotely based on. I was "mostly" wrong.

Dave

Staff member
I totally see what you are saying about how it's been in WoW lore for a long time. But most people don't know WoW lore like you and Scythe do. I would say 90% of the people are going to associate the new x-pack with Kung Fu Panda.

It looks interesting to me.

I'm in an odd position, though, where I'm sick of playing the game alone (done that plenty), and it's impossible for me to get a three-hour block of regular time to raid. I wouldn't say that makes me "bad" at the game, it's just that the game becomes me depending on random strangers on other servers, which isn't that fun to me.

I'd like to play it if I could find regular people that I know that would do content together (and in MoP, it looks like there'll be actual end-game 5-man content, so the bar is even lower with the # of people to find), but I'm no longer interested in repetitive daily solo grinds, and until now that's what's passed for "casual progression" in WoW. Either raid, or do daily quests every day.

I totally see what you are saying about how it's been in WoW lore for a long time. But most people don't know WoW lore like you and Scythe do. I would say 90% of the people are going to associate the new x-pack with Kung Fu Panda.
I know, and therefore, I educate. They honestly think that KFP was the first time to ever introduce a martial arts bear, it's ridiculous.

It's continued ignorance, after having it pointed out very clearly and concisely that irritates me. Unless they're purposelly trolling, then I move on.
It looks interesting to me.

I'm in an odd position, though, where I'm sick of playing the game alone (done that plenty), and it's impossible for me to get a three-hour block of regular time to raid. I wouldn't say that makes me "bad" at the game, it's just that the game becomes me depending on random strangers on other servers, which isn't that fun to me.

I'd like to play it if I could find regular people that I know that would do content together (and in MoP, it looks like there'll be actual end-game 5-man content, so the bar is even lower with the # of people to find), but I'm no longer interested in repetitive daily solo grinds, and until now that's what's passed for "casual progression" in WoW. Either raid, or do daily quests every day.
There are so many, very large, casual guilds that are recruiting on a daily basis. The fact that they added guild levels got rid of alot of the smaller, more "cliqcky" guilds and created massive, social guilds in their place. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good social group in a guild like that in this current age of WoW.

C

Chibibar

Heck most people don't know much of any lore for most games past 1-2 years (IMO from what I have seen)
Personally I only remember Panderean once someone mention WC3 (which I have, played and finish a long time ago)

The thing is that with recent ads for Kung Fu Panda 2, and WoW announcement. all the "kiddies" players (i.e. 10-15) would probably think ooo kung fu panda. And older people like me who have forgotten the older lore or most of it ;) (I hardly keep up anymore. if I have a question I ask one of my hardcore WoW player that I know IRL who knows anything of anything. WoW is in his blood hehe)

There are so many, very large, casual guilds that are recruiting on a daily basis. The fact that they added guild levels got rid of alot of the smaller, more "cliqcky" guilds and created massive, social guilds in their place. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a good social group in a guild like that in this current age of WoW.
That's my main issue. I liked my cliquey guild. There was me, 3 Australians, 2 real life friends and a handful of others, mostly from Canada but 1-2 from Colorado. Hell, I'm still in that guild despite the fact that all but 3 of us had quit. Level 11 guild. Never going to get any higher. Boo.

Problem with cliquey guilds was that people felt intimidated to join them as there were so many "inside" jokes, since there were so few members, most of them had done the content a new member would be interested in doing, while in the very large social guilds currently existing, there are still cliquey groups within it, but on the whole, there are alot of variation in the members and something for any new member to relate to and have fun doing things with.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I'm sorry if my comments enraged you, Shegs. I certainly didn't mean to insult you or your liking of WoW. I just always felt that the Pandaren were okay as an inside joke, something that happened maybe once or twice... as a race, I just didn't find them so fascinating. And yes, I did play WoW for the sake of the lore and good company.

I played WoW until the end of BC, but the problem was for me that as a casual player, I felt like I ended up hitting a wall at 70. Okay, there was raiding, but that just didn't appeal to me that much. And I admit, the magitech things in BC... kinda irritated me a bit. I enjoyed the Draenei storylines and such, but I just didn't feel like grinding through all of them again to play the end game as a different class.

Plus, I was kinda disappointed with all the numbnuts that got through in RP servers. There were good RP guilds, but it kinda felt swamped with all the mailbox dancers and gold sellers and people looking to cyber near the place where the Human rogue quest has you pickpocket that goblin by the river and such. I just got bored... and by the time Lich King rolled over, I think I just didn't want to be disappointed again.

Plus my computer kinda sucks, so there was that too :p

@North_Ranger: Enraged? That's adorable Ranger. :) I'm neither insulted or upset that people are ragging on something they don't even fully understand. What frustrates me is when I explain, in detail, that KFP has as much to do with Panderans as Twilight had to do with Worgens, and people still keep acting the fool? Yeah that gets on my nerves. If you're able to read and comprehend what I'm saying, yet still have an opinion that WoW isn't for you? You'll notice that I haven't posted once in this thread to change someone's mind on that subject matter.

BC was probably the worst expansion for post 70 people. There was so little to do for the casual player. It continued getting better in Wrath and Cata. Some would say it leaned more in the favor one way or another, but it still catered to both. In MoP, there are going to be ALOT of end-game content (entire xpac is endgame zones, with exception of starter zones), while still having ALOT of casual content as well (PVE Scenarios, Large Social Guilds, Transmog runs on old content, Pet Battles etc).

Can't help you on the RP part, the only RP I do is being a bitch when I roll over the idiots who thought they could 2v1 me just because there was more of them.

@Biann: The ignore list you still click the posts on to read everything they write? Then yeah, I must be identical. You on the other hand, have pretty much become an echo of everything Jay posts. Kind of like that "little dog and big dog" cartoon where the little one would just bounce around and "yip yip" everything the bigger dog was barking. Or is Jay the little dog and you the big dog? I can't tell anymore, it runs together too much.

B

Biannoshufu

Nah, they're on ignore, and you're not. My above remark was formed before I had the luxury of putting them into ignore.

And yeah, watching you get frustrated over this is funny.

Nah, they're on ignore, and you're not. My above remark was formed before I had the luxury of putting them into ignore.

And yeah, watching you get frustrated over this is funny.
Damnit woman, I'm trying to make it look like I'm frustrating you and it's failing miserably! Just when I think I know it all, it seems I still have much to learn.

Shannow

Staff member
@Biann: The ignore list you still click the posts on to read everything they write? Then yeah, I must be identical. You on the other hand, have pretty much become an echo of everything Jay posts. Kind of like that "little dog and big dog" cartoon where the little one would just bounce around and "yip yip" everything the bigger dog was barking. Or is Jay the little dog and you the big dog? I can't tell anymore, it runs together too much.
Also known as this old thing:

http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/bigdogmetoo.htm

B

Biannoshufu

Damnit woman, I'm trying to make it look like I'm frustrating you and it's failing miserably! Just when I think I know it all, it seems I still have much to learn.
side note: i wasn't actually aiming to troll you, but I honestly do think the argument of "KFP vs Panderan came first" is besides the point, and my point is that I just don't "care" anymore about WoW because of things that happened long before this, and in light of that, MOP just seems like they are phoning it in from an earnings call. And sure Panderia came first, but branding $ beat Blizzard to the punch.

In the end though, why does it matter if we disagree with you? This should not be frustrating you at all. Play game, have fun, panties, ??? profit. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.