World of Warcraft: Mists of Panderia **RAAAAANT**

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Biann - You know what's funny, I have no idea why I've been on such a crusade to correct the idiots. I didn't do it with BC or Cata, no idea why I'm trying now. I guess since the game has grown exponetially since then, there are alot more vocal idiots than back then, and with them flooding more and more message boards I was finally at my teetering point.

I think what prompted me to post this thread here at all, was that I was starting to see some of that "mindlessness" seeping into posts here and I just felt that I could ACTUALLY reach people here before it overflowed.

Speaking of panties, I had one of my favorites (that are no longer made) rip last night. Granted it was ripped in a good way, but none the less frustrating after seeing them this morning.

GasBandit

Staff member

Guglielmo Marconi (Italian pronunciation: [ɡuʎˈʎɛːlmo marˈkoːni]; 25 April 1874– 20 July 1937) was an Italian inventor, known as the father of long distance radio transmission and for his development of Marconi's law and a radio telegraph system. Marconi is often credited as the inventor of radio, and indeed he shared the 1909 Nobel Prize in Physics with Karl Ferdinand Braun "in recognition of their contributions to the development of wireless telegraphy". Much of Marconi's work in radio transmission was built upon previous experimentation and the commercial exploitation of ideas by others such as Hertz, Maxwell, Faraday, Popov, Lodge,Fessenden, Stone, Bose, and Tesla. As an entrepreneur, businessman, and founder of the The Wireless Telegraph & Signal Company in 1897, Marconi was more successful than any other because of his ability to commercialize radio and its associated equipment. In 1924, he was ennobled as Marchese Marconi.

B

Biannoshufu

I think what prompted me to post this thread here at all, was that I was starting to see some of that "mindlessness" seeping into posts here and I just felt that I could ACTUALLY reach people here before it overflowed.

Speaking of panties, I had one of my favorites (that are no longer made) rip last night. Granted it was ripped in a good way, but none the less frustrating after seeing them this morning.
And see, instead of "correcting" them, I silence them. Cause really, if they are idiots in the truest sense correction is futile.

As to your last point? Brilliant post. You learn fast, young grasshopper.

@Gas, Ah, thanks.

Interesting thread. I have a similar issue with how many people are seeing the game and going "LOL KFP!", but even I have to admit that Blizzard is not helping the situation. One look at the racials they chose for the Pandaren even made me think "Po", like the Bouncy and various eating and cooking racials. If Blizzard did some light changes to the aesthetic and racials, many people wouldn't be jumping on the similarity. Like Dave implied, many of the players in WoW, this will be the first time they see the Pandaren other then the little pet monk.

When it comes to the difficulty argument. Let me be straight here based on what I know. The exodus of players we saw in Cataclysm was not hardcore players that would be in raids. Cataclysm, by the standards set in WOTLK, was more difficult and required more effort to move into the endgame. Mike Morhaime admitted to the fans that they made the entry level of Cataclysm overly difficult, which caused players to log on without any idea what they wanted to do because they didn't want to throw themselves at dungeons due to high chances of wiping. The lack of decent dailies until Molten Front was added didn't help matters. You may not notice these issues now, as they have lowered the difficulty and new forms of gear are becoming open, but it was a big issue at release, when Blizzard saw the highest amount of casual unsubscribes.

They want to bring back those casual players, thus why they are massively increasing the end-game progression options in MoP. You can now get "gear points" from dungeons, raids, and dailies. They are adding a Raid Finder that will allow you to queue up for raid battles at a level easier then the normal raids and cut into shorter durations. You will have pet battles or scenarios. They will still obviously have PVP options, and are even promoting a bit of World PVP on Pandaria. For instance, we will have a new "Dalaran" like city on the isle, but each faction will have his own, and they will not be marked as santuaries. They are going to want players sieging the enemies city, though they will add options for players that don't want to take part to escape (portals to other, safer cities, for instance). They are also adjusting resilience, so that players have an easier time getting into the fights before they stack up on it.

When it comes to those hardcore players, Blizzard is not trying to throw them out in the cold, and I think will actually be pushing for them to have even greater challenges. First, with the Raid Finder around for the casuals, this means Blizzard can boost the normal and heroic variations of raids and never have to "nerf" them. Second, they are experimenting with Dungeon Challenges. These are dungeon runs where you have your stats normalized, and thus will be very difficult. As reward though, you will gain items and things that are unique for transmogrification, meaning unique looks that you earn. They can easily extend this in the future to raiding groups, maybe even a new form of heroic.

I always split the "casual" and "hardcore" down to two major things. Casuals want a constant sense of progression and choice in what to do. They don't like "cockblocks" due to difficulty. Hardcores on the other hand never seem to actually want a challenge for challenge itself, but because they like being exclusive, they like having those bragging rights of saying they were one of a few that took down such and such boss. It is hard to balance because you have to make the dungeons open to casuals otherwise you form that cockblock, but the more open you make it the less exclusive the hardcore players feel. Can it be balanced? I think so. I actually propose that every raid have a "heroic-only" boss similar to Algalon or Sinestra, something only the hardcore can fight, and hopefully, gain unique items that wouldn't drop in the normal raid. As a casual I would be more then willing to give up some end game bosses as long as the majority feel open to me.

After Cataclysm, I am overall weary and am going to be a bit more reserved. I don't think Cataclysm was a horrible expansion, but as a casual player it destroyed many of my progressive paths and made things I enjoyed a bit more clunky (no easy casual guilds). I ended up finding myself only running battlegrounds because it was the only place I could level, get consistent progression, and always know I was working towards some decent items. Dungeons were to much of a roll of the dice, because if it failed and ended, I got nothing from it.

I have NEVER thought of ScytheRexx as a casual player.
That comes down to what you consider "casual".

Based on my knowledge of WarCraft and the fact I play a lot? Wouldn't really call me casual.

Based on what I do when I play the game? Everyone would call me a casual.

I know that it's because I've run with the same group of people for years that I don't have the "pug problems" and as of such have enjoyed the PVE as well as the PVP aspects of WoW for so long. I also definitely went from Server First Hardcore to Casual (playing 2-3hrs a night if I'm home, and all the raids I've done are non-heroic) and the game never stops giving me things to do or aim for.

Interesting thread. I have a similar issue with how many people are seeing the game and going "LOL KFP!", but even I have to admit that Blizzard is not helping the situation. One look at the racials they chose for the Pandaren even made me think "Po", like the Bouncy and various eating and cooking racials. If Blizzard did some light changes to the aesthetic and racials, many people wouldn't be jumping on the similarity.
As i pointed out, including those type of pop culture references is what Blizzard has always done...

This reminds me of people that complain about them delaying release dates, but now instead of "operation cwal" it's "in the pipe, 5 by 5" that comes to mind...

C

Chibibar

ScythRexx: sadly no matter what you may have for hardcore, eventually have to make it accessible to casual crowd or they will make noise. Even if that item may take a casual player 2-3 years to obtain it, it can still be obtainable without having to go "hardcore" now that is one tough balance act.

ScythRexx: sadly no matter what you may have for hardcore, eventually have to make it accessible to casual crowd or they will make noise. Even if that item may take a casual player 2-3 years to obtain it, it can still be obtainable without having to go "hardcore" now that is one tough balance act.
Most casuals don't care about hitting the very end. All casuals want it easy to attain general progression. Casual players like me loved WOTLK because places like heroics were easy and raids were generally more open for us. That's why even as a DPS the longest queue in the Dungeon Finder during WOTLK was 12 minutes. When heroics became more difficult in Catacylsm, that jumped up to over half an hour because few were willing to deal with the stress of healing and tanking.

Trust me, casual players are usually easy to please as long as you don't add serious cock-blocks to their options. The Raid Finder will "sate" most of the casual players need to experiance the raid content and get some "phat purplez", allowing the hardcore-players to get larger challenges in the normal and heroic modes. Added with easier heroics this time around, PVE scenarios, and pet battles, we may be able to get in some of the most challenging raids yet.

C

Chibibar

Most casuals don't care about hitting the very end. All casuals want it easy to attain general progression. Casual players like me loved WOTLK because places like heroics were easy and raids were generally more open for us. That's why even as a DPS the longest queue in the Dungeon Finder during WOTLK was 12 minutes. When heroics became more difficult in Catacylsm, that jumped up to over half an hour because few were willing to deal with the stress of healing and tanking.

Trust me, casual players are usually easy to please as long as you don't add serious cock-blocks to their options. The Raid Finder will "sate" most of the casual players need to experiance the raid content and get some "phat purplez", allowing the hardcore-players to get larger challenges in the normal and heroic modes. Added with easier heroics this time around, PVE scenarios, and pet battles, we may be able to get in some of the most challenging raids yet.
heh, I guess you didn't meet some of the RP casuals ;) this was before Cata so I might be wrong now. Some of the "phat purple" are awesome looking people like to have that for their look. Of course the only way to obtain them would be raiding. I am not saying that all casual would want that, but there will be some. Personally I believe in working for your stuff, so if people want phat loot, then they would have to raid.

I guess in the past several expansion I read many "whiners" about how things are easier for casual to obtain and thus the uber hard loot is no longer a status symbol (which is what really boils down to)

There is nothing stopping RP casuals from going back to old raids and getting such stuff. I know groups that 5 man some of the WOTLK raids for gear due to Transmogrification. If they want the ultimate items when they are relevant, then yes, they have to stop being casual. Thing is, most casuals that actually whine about that are just as much of a minority as the hardcore raiders that complain about difficulty.

Most casuals only care that they can log on and have something to do in general, not sit around in Stormwind/Orgrimmar and twiddle their thumbs for an hour wondering if they want to chance a heroic or find a raid group that would be willing to take their "undergeared" ass.

C

Chibibar

There is nothing stopping RP casuals from going back to old raids and getting such stuff. I know groups that 5 man some of the WOTLK raids for gear due to Transmogrification. If they want the ultimate items when they are relevant, then yes, they have to stop being casual. Thing is, most casuals that actually whine about that are just as much of a minority as the hardcore raiders that complain about difficulty.

Most casuals only care that they can log on and have something to do in general, not sit around in Stormwind/Orgrimmar and twiddle their thumbs for an hour wondering if they want to chance a heroic or find a raid group that would be willing to take their "undergeared" ass.
Yea. I do like the new way that you can get points/marks/whatever when you cap level to get some raid gear :)

Panda starting zone

panda_wwf_1.jpg

Added at: 14:41
@Biann: The ignore list you still click the posts on to read everything they write? Then yeah, I must be identical. You on the other hand, have pretty much become an echo of everything Jay posts. Kind of like that "little dog and big dog" cartoon where the little one would just bounce around and "yip yip" everything the bigger dog was barking. Or is Jay the little dog and you the big dog? I can't tell anymore, it runs together too much.
LOL

Well you sound just like Jiarn.

LOL

Well you sound just like Jiarn.
We're related and grew up together, what's your excuse? If you couldn't figure it out, I was ribbing Biann, I wouldn't put her in the same category as you. Two completely different beasts. Dunno what's gotten under your ass recently but it's not helping keep the few people that still like you around.
It'll be a great time to roll a new toon in an old area. Or a Pandaren Death Knight.
Pandereans cannot be Death Knights, Warlocks, Druid, or Paladins. They gave reason for the DKs, Druids and Locks, but not for the Paladin. Which is retarded because only having two options for Paladin on Horde side is ridiculous.

It'll be a great time to roll a new toon in an old area. Or a Pandaren Death Knight.
Pandaren can't be Death Knights, Blizzard couldn't figure out how to make it work from a story perspective like they did with the Worgen and Goblins, so they will be the only race without the option.

An all-Pandaren monk guild would be kind of amusing and fun, I'd think.
I think an entire guild of Gnome Monks would be more amusing.

Imagine the PVP battles. You enter Isle of Conquest only to see dozens of gnomes punching people to death.

Little bit of updated info on the monk, BTW. While the monk can hold weapons like swords, staves, etc... it looks like by design they are going to always fight with unarmed or fist weapons. Instead they are going to make it so certain large attacks causing you to pull out your equipped weapon so when you do use a weapon, it looks more impressive. At least that is the plan based on what seems to be coming out of the WoWInsider.

I think an entire guild of Gnome Monks would be more amusing.

Imagine the PVP battles. You enter Isle of Conquest only to see dozens of gnomes punching people to death.

Little bit of updated info on the monk, BTW. While the monk can hold weapons like swords, staves, etc... it looks like by design they are going to always fight with unarmed or fist weapons. Instead they are going to make it so certain large attacks causing you to pull out your equipped weapon so when you do use a weapon, it looks more impressive. At least that is the plan based on what seems to be coming out of the WoWInsider.
True, both would be amusing on opposite scales.

Shame about no goblin monks, though. Goblin Punch would be the perfect name for such a guild.

Pandaren can't be Death Knights, Blizzard couldn't figure out how to make it work from a story perspective like they did with the Worgen and Goblins, so they will be the only race without the option.
A wizard did it.

There, done, story complete. I could write for Blizzard. (but then I'd have to make some kind of character corrupted by evil to be a fallen prince/princess, commanding legions of evil against our heros)

fade

Staff member
I have NEVER thought of ScytheRexx as a casual player.
That was also my first thought when I read that post. If you're doing "Heroics" or "Dailies" or whatever other things have special names with special rewards, I wouldn't consider you a casual player. What in the world do you call hardcore, then? I would call anyone who has had a long running subscription and a bunch of 85s NOT a casual player. They may not be 'hardcore', but they aren't casual by my count.

Shannow

Staff member
A wizard did it.

There, done, story complete. I could write for Blizzard. (but then I'd have to make some kind of character corrupted by evil to be a fallen prince/princess, commanding legions of evil against our heros)
Well, really, they just were not around when death knights were being created by the scourge.

New Death Knights are NOT being created everyday. If you create a Death Knight now, you are viewing the past when you were "created" by Arthas.

D

Disconnected

Then wouldn't that mean there can only be a finite number of death knights?

Status
Not open for further replies.