X-Men relationship chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shannow

Staff member
What did I say about DC anywhere? Yes, it is fucked up over there, and they did the collapse/reexpansion then crossovers...but nowhere was it mentioned here, and has no bearing on this conversation.

And I was just pointing out that its really not true cannon. By your logic, all of Ultimates U is cannon...and hell, so is all of the Zombie U, because they can be entered.

unless you are going with the more general definition of everything is canon, and that it is not just the 616.

:facepalm:

^ This isn't a facepalm,this is a "Ow, my head". Alternate realities, time travel and X-Men & Legion of Superheroes mythologies give me a headache.

J

JCM

Shannow said:
And I was just pointing out that its really not true cannon. By your logic, all of Ultimates U is cannon...and hell, so is all of the Zombie U, because they can be entered.
Yes its canon.

Its part of the Marvel U, the Eiles (as well as any dimension-popping character) can access it. I think you are confusing "fanfiction" and "licensed movie/comic" with "Marvel Universe". Its canon. It just happened in another timeline.

A easier way to grasp this is remembering that all those silly DC comics of the 30s and 40s are canon. Just a different Earth than the one we are reading about.

And yes, Ultimate Marvel is canon. Probably in a future issues of Exiles or later Zombie marvel story someone will give it a label "EarthXXXX". So one can say that "Magneto and Rogue marriage is not 616 Marvel", but to claim that its "non-canon", ala fanfiction, its pretty much going against every Marvel and DC Editor and writer, and while I havent read Xmen since the 80´s but for the odd storyline, its pretty much their Universe.
What did I say about DC anywhere?
Guess using DC´s better labelling of timelines to explain the concept of "canon, but not the same timeline" was too difficult?

How about "Marvels says its canon, and labels it Earth-295, even adding AoA characters to their published character databases, whatever you say or try to pass off as "just logic" here says has no bearing on its canonicity". :slywink:

North_Ranger

Staff member
At least they're still far away from Soap Opera Sex, or what I like to call Bold and Beautiful Incest.

"Okay, so I have seriously dated X, I have been married to his brother - twice - and had a kid with him who grew up into adulthood in two seasons. After that I hooked up with their father, with whom I had a pair of twins, but not before having a lesbian love triangle with X's evil half-sister from Paraguay and his mother. Now I am dating X's son from his marriage to my rival, and hooking up with the boyfriend of my daughter from my previous marriage with X's brother."

Guys, the argument over the cannonicity of AoA doesn't have any bearing on the Rogue/Magneto connection. They were intimate in the Savage Land in the 616 universe. The line between Mags and Rogue is Single Date/Kiss/One night stand, so it doesn't necessarily mean that they bumped uglies, though, if I recall the comic was never 100% clear whether they actually did the deed or not.

As a side note, the chart specifies when they're talking about an AoA character.

You sure about that, North Ranger? Let's discuss Cable's history, shall we?

Cable is the child of Cyclops and Madyline Pryor (who, herself, turns out to be an evil clone of Jean Grey) and shot off into the future as a baby to...protect him...or something (I've never been clear on this). It turns out he's actually a chosen warrior in the future to take down Apocalypse, so he goes back in time to help team up with the X-Men to destroy him.

...actually, that was easier than I thought. Of course, Cable is just one of many utterly bland 90s badass creations that look cool but have no real value to them at all.

...except when playing the straight man in a series with Deadpool.

J

JCM

True, as Magneto did bag Rogue in 616, and yeah, Marvel until 2000 was rather shy of showing who had sex with who, not that this was a bad thing, because now whenever I see Luke Cage I´ll be thinking "this is the guy who did anal up Aria´s arse"

Just noting the stupidity of saying "NOT CANON!!" when the company that publishes the comic says its canon, has characters from it popping all over, and has several characters in 616 visit 295/AoA.

ThatNickGuy said:
You sure about that, North Ranger? Let's discuss Cable's history, shall we?

Cable is the child of Cyclops and Madyline Pryor (who, herself, turns out to be an evil clone of Jean Grey) and shot off into the future as a baby to...protect him...or something (I've never been clear on this). It turns out he's actually a chosen warrior in the future to take down Apocalypse, so he goes back in time to help team up with the X-Men to destroy him.

...actually, that was easier than I thought. Of course, Cable is just one of many utterly bland 90s badass creations that look cool but have no real value to them at all.

...except when playing the straight man in a series with Deadpool.
The Askani came back in time to save Cable from the transmode virus that Apocalypse had infected him with. If he hadn't been brought to the future, he would have died.

I agree that Cable was created by the maker of the worst utterly bland 90s badasses (who also created Deadpool, BTW), but once they wrested him out of Leifeld's hands, he became a much more 3 dimensional character. The Executioner's Song is one of my favorite Xmen storylines.

Shannow

Staff member
JCM said:
Shannow said:
And I was just pointing out that its really not true cannon. By your logic, all of Ultimates U is cannon...and *, so is all of the Zombie U, because they can be entered.
Yes its canon.

Its part of the Marvel U, the Eiles (as well as any dimension-popping character) can access it. I think you are confusing "fanfiction" and "licensed movie/comic" with "Marvel Universe". Its canon. It just happened in another timeline.

A easier way to grasp this is remembering that all those silly DC comics of the 30s and 40s are canon. Just a different Earth than the one we are reading about.

And yes, Ultimate Marvel is canon. Probably in a future issues of Exiles or later Zombie marvel story someone will give it a label "EarthXXXX". So one can say that "Magneto and Rogue marriage is not 616 Marvel", but to claim that its "non-canon", ala fanfiction, its pretty much going against every Marvel and DC Editor and writer, and while I havent read Xmen since the 80´s but for the odd storyline, its pretty much their Universe.
Guess using DC´s better labelling of timelines to explain the concept of "canon, but not the same timeline" was too difficult?

How about "Marvels says its canon, and labels it Earth-295, even adding AoA characters to their published character databases, whatever you say or try to pass off as "just logic" here says has no bearing on its canonicity". :slywink:
Jesus Christ, you like to make an agrument and an insult for any reason, huh? All I was saying that since the timeline was prevented, it is not now a part of the actual history of that 616. It did not occur in what is now regular comics.

I even pointed out that when I said canon, I meant in the current actual goings on of the 616, and that you were referencing the overall universe. Or at least I thought I did in there. if it was not clear, than sorry.

J

JCM

Shannow said:
JCM said:
Shannow said:
And I was just pointing out that its really not true cannon. By your logic, all of Ultimates U is cannon...and *, so is all of the Zombie U, because they can be entered.
Yes its canon.

All I was saying that since the timeline was prevented, it is not now a part of the actual history of that 616. It did not occur in what is now regular comics.
So Exiles is not a regular 616 comic?

Again, is canon. End of story, I´d love to help you make your own company to publish your won Marvel comic, but until then, as far as today´s Marvel is concerned, its canon. Not 616 universe though.

Shannow

Staff member
Wow, just wow. Fine, let me rephrase..not part of the main (616) universe. jesus. That better for you, hmmm?

Looking back at my orginal post, I amde the error of referencing the 616 as true canon, not clarifying. Sorry it struck a nerve there.

J

JCM

No nerves struck. Now back to the topic at hand-

Why didnt Gambit get laid more often?

I

Iaculus

JCM said:

That staff... clearly compensating for something.

J

JCM

Iaculus said:
JCM said:

That staff... clearly compensating for something.
Maybe thats why magneto got ahead.

I cant find scans in English, but didnt he get engaged to Rogue once?

JCM said:

He used to, before he met Rogue, then became obsessed and stopped womanizing.

The real question is: Why didn't Gambit take Rogue to Savage Land?

figmentPez

Staff member
Oh, and if anyone thought this chart was a lot of work, check out:
http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/

:Leyla: The amount of work that went into these...

Anyway, the peritnent section from Rogue's Biography
...Rogue was about to give up, since she didn’t want to “kill“ Ms. Marvel for a second time, when suddenly Magneto stepped in. He rendered both unconscious and, when Rogue woke up, Magneto had used machinery to drain / kill Carol‘s body and restore Rogue to full power, without the Carol personality in her head. [Uncanny X-Men #269]

Having nowhere else to go, Rogue remained with Magneto for a while to recuperate. Since her absorption powers were temporarily scrambled by the power transfer, they could touch and had the beginnings of a relationship. The pair found themselves caught in a war over the Savage Land, and they tried to aid Shield and Ka-Zar to defend the land from Zaladane and the Savage Land Mutates. Rogue‘s abilities (both her own and those of Ms. Marvel) resurfaced halfway during the conflict, right in time to change the odds in their favor. However, Rogue was turned away by Magneto's bloodthirstiness when he killed Zaladane, and she ended their romance before it even began.

Shegokigo said:
Andi said:
Funny coming from someone with the MEDIC from TF2 as his avatar. :slywink:
Funny thing is, I never played TF2 in my life. I got the avatar because of the uncanny similarity between the medic and a portrait of mine. :-P

M

Mr. Lawface

Andi said:
Shegokigo said:
Andi said:
Funny thing is, I never played TF2 in my life. I got the avatar because of the uncanny similarity between the medic and a portrait of mine. :-P
You should try TF2. It's a good game.

Mr. Lawface said:
Andi said:
Shegokigo said:
Andi said:
You should try TF2. It's a good game.
Yeah, heard of it. But I no good in shooters, so I better leave it be. :Leyla:

Shegokigo said:
JCM said:

He used to, before he met Rogue, then became obsessed and stopped womanizing.

The real question is: Why didn't Gambit take Rogue to Savage Land?

Sinister took out part of his brain once.... so he was an excuse for anything stupid he does...

Wow, Wolverine has like... a highway of lines leading to him.

Next traffic report on Logan highway at 5!

Bowielee said:
I agree that Cable was created by the maker of the worst utterly bland 90s badasses (who also created Deadpool, BTW), but once they wrested him out of Leifeld's hands, he became a much more 3 dimensional character. The Executioner's Song is one of my favorite Xmen storylines.
be honest [strike:231la05a]Deathstroke[/strike:231la05a]Deadpool was created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez way back in 1980.

Comparing Deathstroke to Deadpool is kind of retarded. The only thing they really have in common is that they are mercenaries.

Bowielee said:
Comparing Deathstroke to Deadpool is kind of retarded. The only thing they really have in common is that they are mercenaries.
and their names and their costumes. Until actual talented people got a hold of Deadpool he was just a shameless ripoff of deathstroke the terminator.

Not to stomp completely on the Shannow/JCM canonicity nerd-rage, but AoA Sugar Man was firmly established as being responsible for Genosha's original state of affairs when they had a mutant slave population.

I like how Logan's got a mass of red lines in the middle of the chart.

However, I find this chart incomplete. Deadpool's unrequited love for Bea Arthur is canonical, yet not present. :D

Bowielee said:

I wouldn't say so. They both look somewhat similar, use the same types of weapons, have healing factors, and even their real names are similar. Slade Wilson, Wade Wilson.

Even in some of the comics they point out the similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.