EA Needs to F*** off and die

That's about half of what I paid for the THQ bundle pack.

So it's probably going to make EA millions. -facepalm-

That would be a great addition to the game... for free. Anything above that is just stupid.
To think someone paid $59.99 to buy it new at one point, then spends another $10 making it a $70-80 game and all they got extra was Blimps.

Amazing.

Hell look at anyone who fully supports any Sims franchise, that shit must end up being what, 100+ dollars in total by the time you hit the last xpac?

100+ ?

More like 500
Yep.
$49.99 - The Sims 3 Deluxe (includes Ambitions)
$29.99 - The Sims 3 World Adventures Expansion Pack
$39.99 - The Sims 3 Late Night Expansion Pack
$39.99 - The Sims 3 Pets
$39.99 - The Sims 3 Generations
$39.99 - The Sims 3 Supernatural
$39.99 - The Sims 3 Showtime
$39.99 - The Sims 3 Seasons Limited Edition

$19.99 - The Sims 3 Diesel Stuff
$19.99 - The Sims 3 Fast Lane Stuff
$19.99 - The Sims 3 Master Suite Stuff
$19.99 - The Sims 3 Katy Perry's Sweet Treats
$19.99 - The Sims 3 Outdoor Living Stuff
$19.99 - The Sims 3 Town Life Stuff
$19.99 - The Sims 3 High-End Loft Stuff

figmentPez

Staff member
To think someone paid $59.99 to buy it new at one point, then spends another $10 making it a $70-80 game and all they got extra was Blimps.

Amazing.
Oh, the blimps aren't the only expansion pack. There's also the Amusement Park Set for another $10. Granted, it seems to be a slightly better value than the blimps, since it actually lets you design the layout to the park, but it's hardly as extensive as customization as I'd expect for $10.

Based on the promotional video EA put out, you don't set prices, I don't see any evidence of being able to customize colors, and reviews say it's not even properly integrated into the city budget reports. There isn't any roller coaster customization, either, though I guess I wouldn't expect that to be added for $10, but that still leaves the expansion pretty lacking. It's more interactive than the blimps, but it's still mostly pretty stuff to plunk down in your city. What happened to expansions for Sim games coming with additional scenarios and challenges?

From PAR:
EA hints at SimCity update with offline play, bigger cities, and the rest of the features you want

Our in-box has been flooded with people tipping us off to a survey that is supposed to have been sent to SimCity players, asking about a variety of features that may be coming to a new expansion pack for the game. [Update: EA has confirmed that this survey is legit.]

“Imagine city spaces that are 2X the current city size, to build larger cities,” one section reads. The survey also talks about “classic mode,” where you'll be able to play a single, full-functioning city complete with “cheats and unlocks” that will allow you to create your perfect city. The survey also asks about the ability to build a city with a friend at the same time, importing your Sims, and a Terraform tool that would allow raising or lowering the terrain. Or “cities without boundaries,” where your cities can go for “miles and miles.”

You can check out the survey for yourself, and you'll be forgiven for thinking that EA and Maxis are finally considering making the game that fans of the series wanted this whole time. Of course, you'll likely have to pay the full price for the often broken, problematic original, and then pay again for this expansion to get these options if the content is released as hinted, but that's a small price to pay for… wait, stop. That's actually a large price to pay for what the game should have always been.

By the way, have you bought your $10 airships yet? The game is practically naked without them!

Yes, but they are pursuing appeal in two different courts. This WILL eventually be seen by the Supreme Court and honestly, I hope EA loses. Their reliance on the NFL and college licenses for consistent income has let the sports market stagnant.There are also huge first amendment implications if the Supreme Court rules they can use the likeness of anyone they like for their titles without paying them.

Honestly, I don't see why they are even bothering at this point. With the recent judgement for the guy who created the first Madden (costing them millions of dollars and potentially millions MORE) and the NCAA refusing to re-sign with EA because of the lawsuit mentioned in the original post, I don't see how we're going to get a football game past 2014. I couldn't be happier.

EA still needs to fuck off and die, but this is pretty legit of them:
https://www.humblebundle.com/

Pay what you want for a handful of EA titles (available to download on Origin for all, or Steam for most.) Dead Space 1/3, Burnout: Paradise Ultimate Box, Crysis 2, Mirror's Edge, MoH, BF3, and Sims3 Starter Pack. All proceeds go to charity.

figmentPez

Staff member
Are any of those games worth getting?
Crysis 2 is a damn good, if linear, shooter. If you wanted the more open-world of the first Crysis, it probably won't float your boat, but if you can handle a series of fun battle arenas, I enjoyed it a lot.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yes. I liked Burnout Paradise in particular (though I still miss Burnout: Takedown... wish a HD version of it came out for PC, but paradise is as close as we'll get and really, it's close enough), and if you never got to play the others, most of em are worth at least a buck. Crysis 2 was a little bit of a step back from the first one in gameplay in my opinion but I don't regret playing it. Mirror's edge was ok, felt more like a technology proof of concept than a game, but it's something every well-rounded gamer should experience.

I'd wager you'd get $5 worth of entertainment out of at least a few. I have console versions of Burnout and Mirror's Edge, but I'd be willing to pay $1 for them on Steam PC. I'll probably wait for the update with new games to see if I want to pay over the average for the extras (I've been told to avoid Origin as much as possible).

Considering each of those has been $5 or less in the past few STEAM sales (with the exception of Dead Space 3) it seems like a weak offering, but it's something.

Dead Space 1 is spectacular if you like survival horror (and it's much more "survival horror" than "action horror", which you can't really say about Dead Space 3).

I consider DS1 to be the closest thing we have gotten to an actual Alien (not Aliens) video game.