Gas Bandit's Political Thread V: The Vampire Likes Bats

I think the Arizona GOP is getting desperate. Just got a robocall that rang like 30+ times (I didn't count, but part of me would be willing to bet it was 45 times) that, upon a brief search, is apparently from the AZ GOP touting Trump's response to "Coronavirus2000" and literally calling out "Beijing Biden".

I hate scared animals. You don't know how they're going to react.

Good news, everyone! It seems that the overall number of people who trust scientists and find them credible is increasing!

change.png

...but that's only because they are gaining trust among Democrats. Republicans remain steadfastly, unwaveringly skeptical.

At this point I want a study launched to find out if the cause of that Republican skepticism is a simple fear of technocracy (and commensurate loss of political power), or maybe because Republicans are projecting their own feelings of uncertainty/disbelief onto scientists. And, in the name of Science, I will leave open the possibility that there may be some other reason(s), but my expectation is that it will come down to one of those two.

--Patrick

Good news, everyone! It seems that the overall number of people who trust scientists and find them credible is increasing!

View attachment 34001

...but that's only because they are gaining trust among Democrats. Republicans remain steadfastly, unwaveringly skeptical.

At this point I want a study launched to find out if the cause of that Republican skepticism is a simple fear of technocracy (and commensurate loss of political power), or maybe because Republicans are projecting their own feelings of uncertainty/disbelief onto scientists. And, in the name of Science, I will leave open the possibility that there may be some other reason(s), but my expectation is that it will come down to one of those two.

--Patrick
Or because they are following the examples of their elected officials. :p

Or because they are following the examples of their elected officials. :p
Or because they are just DEEP IN DENIAL.

facts-19.png

I mean, it's an actual fact that the US has more cases than any other country. Even if you go by a per-capita measurement, the only one higher is Spain, and the US is closing Spain's per-capita lead and is even expected to surpass it before we're done. But the R/lR's reaction? "Lies and Fake news!"

--Patrick

Or because they are just DEEP IN DENIAL.

View attachment 34002

I mean, it's an actual fact that the US has more cases than any other country. Even if you go by a per-capita measurement, the only one higher is Spain, and the US is closing Spain's per-capita lead and is even expected to surpass it before we're done. But the R/lR's reaction? "Lies and Fake news!"

--Patrick
I thought Sweden had the highest per capita now.

Apologies if the methodology/actual wording of the question was posted somewhere, but not seeing that, I can say that I am not sure how I personally would answer the question "I believe that the US has a greater/lesser/equal share of coronavirus infections." If the question were "The US has a >/</= share of REPORTED coronavirus cases" then I'd answer based on the reporting data, but honestly, that would be sort of a dumb question because it's really trying to get at whether the average respondent believes that the US is either being "targeted" (by evil foreign powers or 5G or aliens or whatever) or "protected" (by "our superior medical technology"...). If, however, the question were as ambiguously worded as the graphic implies, then I'd expect the answer to be reflective of the respondent's local environment (big city vs rural area), local case reporting, and their knowledge of how poor the testing ability is in the US and other countries. That is to say, hypothetical country X with multiple densely populated cities but virtually absent testing ability likely commands a similar share of actual cases/deaths attributable to COVID-19 when compared to the US, though their numbers will be vastly lower due to underreporting.

Sorry for the rant. I just hate misleading graphs and fuzzy statistics.

View attachment 34001

--Patrick
This doesn't surprise me. What were the other questions in the poll? "Great deal" implies 5/5 implicit trust.

Oop, found it:

graph.png

Medical Scientist/Scientist (Dark blue "Great trust", Light blue "Fair amount of trust"

Eh, see that doesn't seem nearly as dire. Either way the vast majority of people have a healthy amount of trust of scientists/medical scientists.

I saw that.
The article mentions that there is the likelihood that it is not one big organized campaign, but rather several smaller ones that all happen to be pushing the same message. The big takeaway is that creating an army of twitterbots to spread whatever message you may have is as easy now as it used to be to send a mass email.

--Patrick

"Maaaaaww?! They're doing it again!"

...Did you know their shareholder meeting is today (Wednesday)? I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

--Patrick

"Maaaaaww?! They're doing it again!"

...Did you know their shareholder meeting is today (Wednesday)? I'm sure that's just a coincidence.

--Patrick
I'm busy. Someone else care to double-check who owns those stations? I promise to be shocked, shocked at the result.

Multiple companies, this time it's lazy producers just running with the dreck Amazon sent them. There's a lot of news folk out there calling it out. This isn't even paid propaganda, just lazy ass work by those stations.

Multiple companies, this time it's lazy producers just running with the dreck Amazon sent them. There's a lot of news folk out there calling it out. This isn't even paid propaganda, just lazy ass work by those stations.
Ah. I wasn't sure how many stations Bezos controlled under the Washington Post umbrella.

YouTube's response: "The deletion of comments critical of the Chinese government was due to 'an error,'" a YouTube spokesperson [said]. "This appears to be an error in our enforcement systems and we are investigating. Users can report suspected issues to troubleshoot errors and help us make product improvements."

--Patrick

YouTube's response: "The deletion of comments critical of the Chinese government was due to 'an error,'" a YouTube spokesperson [said]. "This appears to be an error in our enforcement systems and we are investigating. Users can report suspected issues to troubleshoot errors and help us make product improvements."

--Patrick
Translation: We got caught.

How I know what they are talking about on Fox News:

My mom texted me all shocked and outraged at how much we pay Russia to launch astronauts into space. When I pointed out that it's actually 1/4 the price that launching a shuttle was, she went on a total fucking rant about how the Dems/Obama privatized the space program and stole all the money from it because they are greedy. There is not enough WTF in the world.

How I know what they are talking about on Fox News:

My mom texted me all shocked and outraged at how much we pay Russia to launch astronauts into space. When I pointed out that it's actually 1/4 the price that launching a shuttle was, she went on a total fucking rant about how the Dems/Obama privatized the space program and stole all the money from it because they are greedy. There is not enough WTF in the world.
But wait, I thought this was fine because El Cheeto assured us "what a really good guy" Putin is and Russia is totally out for our best interests. /s

I think the plan was always to have a 3 to 4 year gap between when the shuttle program ended and the commercial crew development flights started. I imagine it was not seen as a major concern because the of the level of cooperation between the two space agencies at the time (2011). Unfortunately, a 3 year gap turned into a 9-year gap largely because of budget related issues. I would assume these are the general funding issues that NASA has dealt with for much of its existence rather than something particularly partisan.

GasBandit

Staff member
So I just got called a "50 center" on imgur tonight.

Because someone was clamoring for a boycott of all chinese products, and his own pride at not buying chinese....

and I asked him "so, you literally own nothing with any electronic components in it, internet poster?"