[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

Some tool moved the meeting time up an hour while I was in the air today. What fool thought that was a good plan? My boss is a 9:30 kind of person - I like that about her - so no way will she be there so early. Sadly, I'm not senior enough to arrive when I like.

2 1/2 hours it took me to format a 58 page document in Word! 2 1/2 frakkin' hours, with the CPU usage jumping anywhere from 52-85%! No images, no macros, just text!

Just kill me now.

On a 386.
FYI Word 6.0 for Mac was considered to be the worst version of Word ever. Word 5.1 required 1MB RAM and would run on an 8MHz CPU, but Word 6.0 was 4x larger, required 8x the RAM, and even when running on a processor twice as fast, could still take more than 10x longer to do some tasks. Sloppy.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
Meh roff is a po man's TeX (I kid). I know it because I have to write man pages but I'd never want to use it for a serious document.

Seriously though, I'm a physicist. Not using LaTeX or at least TeX is murder. It's so easy to write an equation in more or less plain English, especially when your paper has 50 of them. That and self numbering references and BiBTeX for easy to style references make it a dream. Microsoft equation editor sucks.

I tune out Upworthy and the other clickbait sites (Diply, Tickld, etc). Their stories can easily be divided into three categories. You won't believe what they really are!

1. Abandoned pet is rehabilitated and adopted.
2. Autistic child has a meltdown in a public setting. Random bystander calms them down.
3. Somebody says something mean to someone else on the Internet. Random Facebook/Twitter commenter says something mean back.

More and more frequently lately, in my job editing translations, I find myself thinking, "You've got no business pretending to be a translator. Go back to doing what you were doing before, because you simply can't cut it here."

More and more frequently lately, in my job editing translations, I find myself thinking, "You've got no business pretending to be a translator. Go back to doing what you were doing before, because you simply can't cut it here."
But aren't you the Poet Laureate? The Translator Extraordinaire?

But aren't you the Poet Laureate? The Translator Extraordinaire?
Yes. Which is why my job is to edit other people's translations and bring them up to my level. Or, failing that, at least up to a level where we won't get angry clients on the phone.

EDIT: For example, right now I'm dealing with a translator who doesn't know the difference between "audio" and "visual". YOU ARE TRANSLATING A PRESS RELEASE ABOUT COMPUTER MONITORS, STOP TALKING ABOUT THE AUDIO RESOLUTION!!

Last edited:
Yes. Which is why my job is to edit other people's translations and bring them up to my level. Or, failing that, at least up to a level where we won't get angry clients on the phone.

EDIT: For example, right now I'm dealing with a translator who doesn't know the difference between "audio" and "visual". YOU ARE TRANSLATING A PRESS RELEASE ABOUT COMPUTER MONITORS, STOP TALKING ABOUT THE AUDIO RESOLUTION!!
These graphics look better on vinyl.

My mistake; I thought you were using "you" to refer to yourself.

Of course, it doesn't take much to confuse me so...

Grandma is in the hospital for what looks to be her last 24 hours. Neither my family nor myself that live will out on the west coast will be able to fly back to Ontario for her funeral if she does pass and everything so far is point to that being the case. Shit's weak man...