[Rant] Minor Rant III: For a Few Hollers More

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just had a knee-jerk reaction that made me feel like an asshole. A cousin of mine who I see often just got pregnant again for the fifth time. Every time she's gotten pregnant, it's been a complete shock and really untimely--a "one last fuck before we break up/get divorced" kind of thing. She loves her kids, but she also loves the drama and attention she gets from these "surprises." She's had three or four baby showers.

Well...it was very early t announce the pregnancy and she ended up losing it. And I felt relief. I was so happy for her, her kids, and her current husband. They have no money, and now they don't have reason to leech off of their relatives any more than they do. Her kid with severe anger issues won't have to receive less time, attention, or counseling. She is crushed right now. I feel bad that she's probably the only one.

I realize this is insensitive to anyone who's ever lost a child. I apologize if I've hurt someone's feelings with this. This isn't about not caring that someone is experiencing loss. It's just that this person fills a serious void in her life with babies and attention. I guess I feel that's more fucked up than my inappropriate reaction.

....Every time she's been shocked and baffled. She doesn't use condoms. Ever. You can't complain about your frequent pregnancies and eating dried beans for dinner every night *and* not use condoms.

fade

Staff member
This house we were supposed to be buying... I'm not sure we're going to pull it off after all. The bank came up with a sudden new request for 3 months of payments in reserve. They know how much I have in the bank. I'm not sure where they think I can pull this from. If they were going to ask for this, why didn't they do it earlier?

This house we were supposed to be buying... I'm not sure we're going to pull it off after all. The bank came up with a sudden new request for 3 months of payments in reserve. They know how much I have in the bank. I'm not sure where they think I can pull this from. If they were going to ask for this, why didn't they do it earlier?
The mortgage industry has become really annoying. My first reaction was to shop around for a new lender, and this article seems to back that up:

http://www.homebuyinginstitute.com/mortgage/lenders-without-cash-reserve-requirements/

We bought our house for $270k about 18 months ago, but we were able to use a USDA rural development loan program, and I suspect that the program had specific guidelines and requirements that may have precluded a reserve requirement, and the last time I bought a home before that was well before the bubble burst, and there were no reserve requirements.

Keep in mind that many lenders will also allow you to use 401K savings accounts, stock portfolios, mutual funds, and other investment items (at a derated value) to qualify as reserves. All they really want to know is, "If this family lost their job(s) would they be able to make payments long enough to get another one" and most will accept that aren't cash assets if they can be liquidated in a short time period.

http://finance.zacks.com/use-401k-reserve-mortgage-11370.html

It's worth a discussion with your mortgage provider, but don't be afraid to walk out and go to another provider. It stretches the process out and people get annoyed, but it's your money and your purchase, don't assume you are locked in to the path you are already on - most people would rather see a good faith effort in a change of direction than lose the sale and have to start all over again, so even if the contract has deadlines that can't be met if you start shopping around, go ahead and try rather than throwing in the towel.

fade

Staff member
The mortgage industry has become really annoying. My first reaction was to shop around for a new lender, and this article seems to back that up:

http://www.homebuyinginstitute.com/mortgage/lenders-without-cash-reserve-requirements/

We bought our house for $270k about 18 months ago, but we were able to use a USDA rural development loan program, and I suspect that the program had specific guidelines and requirements that may have precluded a reserve requirement, and the last time I bought a home before that was well before the bubble burst, and there were no reserve requirements.

Keep in mind that many lenders will also allow you to use 401K savings accounts, stock portfolios, mutual funds, and other investment items (at a derated value) to qualify as reserves. All they really want to know is, "If this family lost their job(s) would they be able to make payments long enough to get another one" and most will accept that aren't cash assets if they can be liquidated in a short time period.

http://finance.zacks.com/use-401k-reserve-mortgage-11370.html

It's worth a discussion with your mortgage provider, but don't be afraid to walk out and go to another provider. It stretches the process out and people get annoyed, but it's your money and your purchase, don't assume you are locked in to the path you are already on - most people would rather see a good faith effort in a change of direction than lose the sale and have to start all over again, so even if the contract has deadlines that can't be met if you start shopping around, go ahead and try rather than throwing in the towel.
That's good advice. I should say this is a second lien to make up the remainder of the 20% down payment. I have a good salary, but my reserves are low due to losing my savings in the last house we bought during the housing bubble. I have about 15% to put down, so I needed to take a second 5% lien to cover. Our primary lender is wonderful, and had the mortgage out of underwriting in 2 weeks. The second lien was also coordinated by them, and I had no real say in who it was.

My wife and I thought about the retirement stuff, but they already have that information. At least the primary lender does. We are trying to get in touch with our officer to see if he gave them that info.

Ah, I understand. The program we used covered the down payment and rolled it into the loan, which, of course, means we're stuck paying PMI. You might ask your lender if they would consider a lower down payment, add mortgage insurance, and then simply plan on dropping another few thousand in two years to refinance and get rid of the PMI. That has a number of downsides (mostly high costs per month and over time) but it may not be too big a difference, and it'd be akin to paying the extra 5% down later to refinance, as long as your house goes up in value (and if you're getting a good deal it should).

My lender did something earlier. Asked for an extra $5000 reserve.

I'm like "If I had $5000 more dollars, it'd already be in my bank, asshole."

I had to be my boss for an 'advance' on a 'yearly bonus', which was humiliating as fuck, but he was a good egg about it.

I was able to use my 401k and my IRA as proof. I don't actually have to liquidate them, even though the letter I got said the funds should be liquid. In any case, the problem is resolved. I didn't even really have to do anything. The loan officer at my CU did.
A 401k and IRA are liquid assets.
The fact that you can turn them into cash at any time without having to list them and wait for a buyer, that's what makes them liquid. You don't actually have to liquidate them to make them "liquid."
Still, I thought things were getting more relaxed in banking. Apparently not as much as I thought.

--Patrick

I'm working on a translation case for a client that is repeatedly emphasizing how digital their website is. They've created a brand-new digital website, and all the contents are digital, and the website offers digital services now. Have they mentioned their site is digital yet?

As opposed to what, an analogue one???

I reached semantic satiation on the word "digital" like two hours ago, and I'm only halfway through this case.

I'm working on a translation case for a client that is repeatedly emphasizing how digital their website is. They've created a brand-new digital website, and all the contents are digital, and the website offers digital services now. Have they mentioned their site is digital yet?

As opposed to what, an analogue one???

I reached semantic satiation on the word "digital" like two hours ago, and I'm only halfway through this case.
Hey, you should check out our new analog website! You can post on our bulletin board.

... Yes, it's an actual bulletin board.

They did, in fact, also emphasize that their website's forum is also digital.
My last wife once worked for a shady company that gave seminars on how to make money on the web, and then sold you an over-inflated business website design package to get you started.

They always wanted to emphasize that they were making "e-websites" <insert eyeroll emoticon>

Today can just fuck right off. I've been wrestling with translation software all day long.

It started with a client specifying that we have to do a case with a certain translation software suite. I understand why they insist on it, it's because all of their translation memories and glossaries were built using this software, so we need to use it too for this case, otherwise we can't maintain consistency with their previously-used terms. The problem is that this particular software suite is utter crap. It's extremely crash happy, and it's really old, so a lot of its features and interface are exceedingly clunky. The client probably started using this software decades ago, built up a good glossary in it, and thus has been reluctant to take the time and expense of converting their glossary to a newer format. That's all fine and good for them, of course, but for the people actually doing the translating (ie, schmucks like us) it's a nightmare. I started saving my work after literally every sentence, because crashes can happen at any time.

And then for a different case, we get a client that insists on using a really new and memory-intensive file format, one that my poor Windows XP computer simply cannot handle. Translating this case felt like wading through molasses, uphill, with a dozen bungee cords tied around my legs dragging me backwards. I'm pretty sure I can smell smoke coming from the tower.

The good news is, my troubles today have convinced my boss to get me a new computer. The bad news is, I'll need to use a temporary computer for a few days while they transfer all my files over, and our temporary computers are even worse.

Eh, I've actually been resisting getting a new computer, because I've been using this one for most of the last three years, and I'm very comfortable with the operating environment now. Keeping the same environment has been very conducive to my work efficiency. Now I'll have to adjust to a new operating system and new software and stuff, and I don't wanna.

View attachment 20629
Well, this was my morning. How's yours?

Insurance won't cover it, of course.
That looks like a whole bag of no fun.

I can't tell what happened. Something hit your windshield and broke it, of course, but the contrast and size are limiting and it's not obvious why insurance won't cover it (other than insurance companies being bad actors in general).

That looks like a whole bag of no fun.

I can't tell what happened. Something hit your windshield and broke it, of course, but the contrast and size are limiting and it's not obvious why insurance won't cover it (other than insurance companies being bad actors in general).
It looks like a basketball hoop tipped over right into the windshield.
@fade, buddy...maybe you need to start buying less expensive cars.

--Patrick

fade

Staff member
It's a basketball goal. It tipped forward, and the rim has impacted the windshield thanks to last night's storm. Glass coverage is usually separate on most car insurance plans, with main insurance only covering repairs less than 6" (because it's cheaper for them and because glass is such a common claim). Also, my deductible is high, which was my choice. But it still means insurance won't cover it.

And why is it that my phone takes photos with perfect clarity until it's something important? Is it some kind of law?[DOUBLEPOST=1457622277,1457622044][/DOUBLEPOST]
@fade, buddy...maybe you need to start buying less expensive cars.

--Patrick
A fiat is pretty average in cost compared most new cars that hold 5 people and 2 hockey bags. This one was around 23 I think? It's my wife's car.

fade

Staff member
IMG_3602.JPG

Another angle on the same incident. Doesn't show the damage, but it does show the situation. Several things went wrong here: 1) My son claimed the adjuster on the back of the goal didn't get it to exactly 10', so he put it on a lower setting and propped it up on bricks 2) The water in the base seems to have drained out and 3) we normally don't park this far up, but last night there was a flood warning, so we parked further up....to avoid car damage.

I guess I'm lucky because it could've been the hood, which would've probably cost more to fix. It also could've penetrated the windshield. It didn't, so it's still dry inside.[DOUBLEPOST=1457626819,1457626724][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, this will be this car's third windshield. A hunk of debris hit it on the freeway already, cracking it down the middle.

I hadn't considered the hazards of basketball, so this is useful information. Yes, the windshield will be far cheaper than a new hood, even though the insurance would have covered the hood. The paint would never have quite matched exactly, and it would never have fit exactly right, unless you had it done by a shop that cares, which your insurance undoubtedly wouldn't pay for.

GasBandit

Staff member
Wookiee did a no-no today. Our engineer had relayed to me that he'd been receiving complaints about the brightness of our new electronic display sign at night, and today I passed that on to Wookiee because he's been the one taking point in managing the sign.

Wookiee said "I think (Engineer)'s full of shit. Nobody's complained to him. He needs to worry about the other 90 things on his to do list instead of getting involved in things not in his lane."

I took a deep, slow breath, and told him, "I've been working with (Engineer) for 10 years. I have never met a more stand up guy in my life, and I'd put my job on the line on his word."

Wookiee just doesn't like to be told things, I think. And frankly, at night, the sign is pretty god damn blinding. The e-beacon of goddamn gondor. And if he keeps talking shit about the engineer, there's gonna be problems.