Video Game News and Miscellany

So I guess Baldur's Gate 3 won't go much beyond level 10 and I feel like I'm in the vast majority that prefers that. Make the levels take longer so we can enjoy them more. Gasp, shock, D&D is it at it's best between 5-10 and always has been. That's when the mechanics are 100% at their best.

If you want to play a CR 40 demigod go play Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous. The late game is a slog of 2000 buff spells, 2000 debuffs spells and summoning dozens of minions at a time in real time combat that is nearly impossible to control or turn based combat that even turned up to max speed is teeeeeeeeediously long.

Look at the toolbars of these characters in the late game boss fight, not really gonna spoiler that because he's introduced in the opening cut scene and is as close to a god as it gets in Pathfinder without being one so obviously he's an endgame threat.

I don't know if I'd say 5-10, but there's definitely a sweet spot. I really like this type of game in the abstract, but lately I find I can't find the will to power through the first few hours of "my mage misses with Magic Missile, my warrior misses with a sword, my mage fails to cast Magic Missile, my warrior misses with a sword, my mage hits with MM but the damage is 0, my warrior hits, the rat is dead, 1 XP, 1 copper piece"; and indeed, after a certain point this type of gameplay just doesn't lend itself well to play on a computer - fighting a big bad should be more interesting than boppit click-on-the-skills-as-they-come-off-cooldown. And I don't mean "make it harder so you need the exact right combination and balance of buffs" but "it shoudl feel fun and powerful".

Perhaps it's nostalgia, but I feel the older BG/NWN games and KOTOR and such managed to find a better balance and stay in "the zone" for longer than modern games.

Steam's Autumn Sale has begun. It runs from November 24 to December 1.

If any kind soul was to, perhaps, I don't know, offer to buy a few discounted games for me from my wishlist (especially some VR games), I happen to have a long list of game keys that are just collecting dust that I could give in exchange.

You son of a gun. I already said this in a Steam chat, but thank you. :D

This guy went and gifted me Spiritfarer and a VR mini-golf game that I'd only JUST wishlisted a few minutes ago.

(I only posted the thing about my wishlist on a longshot. Didn't think anyone would actually take me up on it.)

EDIT: And @Ravenpoe gifted me Boneworks. Goddamn you beautiful people.

Also...Boneworks?!
Bone.gif

Last edited:

Ubisoft just told players of some old Splinter Cell game that's having issues that not only do they not care they will ban anyone for a week if they put in a support ticket. A ban means you can't access any games you've paid for.
Is anyone covering this or are gamers still mad at rockstar this week?

I've been saying for years and years that uplay = no buy.
I've had serious connection issues with uplay before. Far cry 3 needed both steam and uplay running to launch and every time I opened the map the game would try to connect to something and it would lock up my controls for 30 seconds and often get me killed. Turns out it was trying to load an advertisement for dlc

So a user's troll post ended up pinned at the top of their forums for 24 hours? A post that made Ubisoft look horrible to a good portion of their playerbase, as well as gamers in general?

No matter how they spin this, someone fucked up.

So a user's troll post ended up pinned at the top of their forums for 24 hours? A post that made Ubisoft look horrible to a good portion of their playerbase, as well as gamers in general?

No matter how they spin this, someone fucked up.
To be fair, it's ubisoft

Didn't they tease a pirate game inspired by black flag a few years ago? Has that been announced or canceled yet?

Didn't they tease a pirate game inspired by black flag a few years ago? Has that been announced or canceled yet?
It's turned into a project that no one knows what to do with. It's apparently going to see release in 2022-23, but it's been in development hell for so long and changed direction so many times that my hopes aren't that high.

Keep in mind: they've been working on this since Assassin's Creed 3, which introduced the ship mechanics they wanted to use. It's been an entire console generation.

Last edited:
It's turned into a project that no one knows what to do with. It's apparently going to see release in 2022-23, but it's been in development hell for so long and changed direction so many times that my hopes aren't that high.

Keep in mind: they've been working on this since Assassin's Creed 3, which introduced the ship mechanics they wanted to use. It's been an entire console generation.
Oh yeah, I know it's been a wait. I've been wanting this since black flag bc pirates! is one of my favorite roleplaying games of all time

Cities: VR

Huh, well this is unexpected. Cities Skylines, but in VR. I'm...not sure how well that would work, but it's an interesting idea in theory. A city building game isn't the first thing I'd think for a really good VR experience.

Looks like it's being made by Fast Travel Games, not Colossol Order.

The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe

Now officially releasing in "Early 2022." And available to wishlist on Steam.

Not sure if owners of the current version get this for free or on a discount, but I LOVED The Stanley Parable and definitely can't wait for all this new content. Apparently, the script for the new content is longer than the entirety of the original game.

I just hope The Broom Closet Ending remains intact. The Broom Closet Ending was my favourite.

Last edited:
Cities: VR

Huh, well this is unexpected. Cities Skylines, but in VR. I'm...not sure how well that would work, but it's an interesting idea in theory. A city building game isn't the first thing I'd think for a really good VR experience.

Looks like it's being made by Fast Travel Games, not Colossol Order.
It would be like having a miniature city on your table. That sounds cute, I used to always play animal crossing in 3d for the same effect

Edit: I need to find out if I'd get motion sickness from vr before I buy into it. Think I'd really enjoy some simlike racing in vr

GasBandit

Staff member
Icarus launches this weekend. I'm gonna wait for reviews, but I hope it doesn't suck because I like the idea behind it.

Welp, reviews are in - buggy, unfinished, unoptomized, should have been early access instead of release.

Guess I'll wait to see if they fix it.

Reactions: Cat
Welp, reviews are in - buggy, unfinished, unoptomized, should have been early access instead of release.

Guess I'll wait to see if they fix it.
Jfc publishers should be embracing early access if their games aren't done. People love paying to beta test games, let them do it

Dave

Staff member
I think Icarus is okay. No bugs or anything like that. But it’s almost a roguelike survival game, which means each time you start a game you rocket down to a new planet and basically have to start all over again. Additionally, you can’t play this easily solo since you can’t get all of the stuff in the tech tree. Couple of friends really like it, but even though it’s a decent survival game I’m not sure it’s for me.

Now, there IS a mode called Outpost where you don’t have a mission time limit, but I don’t know how persistent your bases & stuff are.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think Icarus is okay. No bugs or anything like that. But it’s almost a roguelike survival game, which means each time you start a game you rocket down to a new planet and basically have to start all over again. Additionally, you can’t play this easily solo since you can’t get all of the stuff in the tech tree. Couple of friends really like it, but even though it’s a decent survival game I’m not sure it’s for me.

Now, there IS a mode called Outpost where you don’t have a mission time limit, but I don’t know how persistent your bases & stuff are.
From what I understand, your Outpost is permanent. I think they added it later when the complete lack of permanence in the game proper caused the buildy-enthusiasts to complain.

Dave

Staff member
I started my own private Myth of Empires server. So even if everything goes south we can still play, although there would be no more updates. Still a good game. So if you are interested in playing a decent survival game, hit me up.