What are you playing?

Front Mission 3: I punched a guy out of his mech. Then his buddy punched me out of my mech. Then I stole his mech. Then I shot the mechless pilot. Then I tried making it back to my mech, but another mech caught up with me first. So I shot at it with my little pistol--and somehow this ejected the pilot. I had time to get back into my mech before he got back into his, and one of my other units shot his apart.

For the unit who just uses her shoulder-mounted missile launcher, I've given her two shields, because why not?

This game is great.
I think Front Mission 4 on PS2 is probably the best of the series... Front Mission 5 never got an english release but there is a translation patch for the Japanese version. Front Mission: Evolved is a less impressive version of Armored Core.

I think Front Mission 4 on PS2 is probably the best of the series... Front Mission 5 never got an english release but there is a translation patch for the Japanese version. Front Mission: Evolved is a less impressive version of Armored Core.
Sadly I don't think I'll be digging the PS2 out of storage anytime soon, but you have reminded me that I need to snag Armored Core as well. That's another I've heard about, but never played.

Sadly I don't think I'll be digging the PS2 out of storage anytime soon, but you have reminded me that I need to snag Armored Core as well. That's another I've heard about, but never played.
I have a love/hate relationship with the series. It's fun, but it can sure be bullshit sometimes.

X-com 2 is the only game that could possibly hold me over until Fire Emblem.

Also 41 reviews and a 91% avg on metacritic makes me feel less guilty for pre-ordering.

And here I am still happily getting my ass kicked in XCOM 1.

Just now I had to rely on one of my soldiers glitching through the ground to win a battle. True story.
2016-02-05_00002.jpg

2016-02-05_00001.jpg

Never pre-order, even for a game I'm pretty sure will be awesome.

I have no problem waiting on X-Com 2. All reports show it'll need a couple of patches to get the bugs out anyway, and it's not like I don't have a backlog of games to play through.

Never pre-order, even for a game I'm pretty sure will be awesome.

I have no problem waiting on X-Com 2. All reports show it'll need a couple of patches to get the bugs out anyway, and it's not like I don't have a backlog of games to play through.
Maybe, but Greenman gaming gave me 23% off of the deluxe edition giving me the game +the DLC for less than what I'd pay for the base game on steam without any DLC at all. That's a pretty good deal.

Maybe, but Greenman gaming gave me 23% off of the deluxe edition giving me the game +the DLC for less than what I'd pay for the base game on steam without any DLC at all. That's a pretty good deal.
It's not like that deal goes away. GMG always runs 20% off codes.

So I haven't played (or bought) Armored Core yet, but looking at the controls, it's kinda two-sided.

The actual gameplay is a snap. Just bind L2/R2/D-pad left/D-pad right to the Right analog, and then L1/R1/D-pad up/D-pad down to the Left analog and it's exactly the way we expect control and camera to work on modern games. Throw the firing stuff onto the shoulders and it's perfect.

... for the gameplay. The problem then becomes an issue of navigating the menu. From what I'm seeing in the game's manual online, they decided a lot of those shoulders and such needed to do different things instead of just having a normal game's menu. So the actual zipping around and shooting is fine, but I'd have to undo all that tweaking to be able to use the menus efficiently, unlike Mega Man X4/X5 where throwing the weapon switch onto the D-pad and using Left analog in its stead works just fine.

So now I'm not sure I want to spend $6 on this.

GMG has some great deals on pre-orders sometimes.

That's how I got Arkham Knight.

:(

Knights in the Nightmare: This was $5 this week, so after much hesitation, I bought it and I'm glad. It's a unique, interesting title that's hard to describe, being part tactical game, part weird RPG, part bullet hell, with pretty drawn-looking graphics during cutscenes and story elements that remind me of stuff from Dark Souls. You can mash together like weapons to make stronger copies of them ... and essentially do the same with your units, sacrificing one's soul to strengthen another. You're also trying to figure out who the souls belong to and recruit the ghosts to come with you.

One thing I'll say that I haven't said about a handheld game before--this probably would be better homed on PC. The controls are fine, but I think controlling the wisp would be better-suited for using a mouse.

The HTR+ game was nice - at first. Then I tried creating tracks in the track editor...

Oh boy. You get too complicated and it moves the track in weird directions, and puts you back at an earlier part of the track that you've already built. And, of course, you have to build outward from the start-finish line track on any of your tracks, so that means you're screwed if you click delete at that point.

The game could be a LOT better, but this is a huge drawback.

Finished the story mode in Persona 4: Dancing All Night. It's a fun rhythm game and the story, while a flimsy pretense to the characters' dancing, isn't bad at all, but man some of this shit irks me.

One, there's a new major character that isn't really a Mary Sue, she's written okay, but the developers push how lovable and great she is to the point that it feels like they want her to star in her own series. I know each of these spin-offs has fresh characters, but they way the narrative treated her and having her barge in on good tracks was annoying. Having Nanako call her "big sis" was particularly dumb, because when she gets around to calling the Persona 4 hero that, it's because their relationship has developed. Here it's just "Look, Nanako likes her, and you like Nanako, so please love this new character!"

The other big thing that annoyed me is the overuse of Japanese honorifics. The other games used them occasionally, but here 99% of the time when someone's name is used, there's an added -chan, -kun, -san, etc. Most of these characters have an intimate friendship with each other--there's ZERO reason for them to be this formal, and I really think whoever Atlus's localization team thought this would go over well with the weaboo morons.

I can ignore it here because the story is so unimportant, but I'm really hoping this is not how Persona 5 is translated/localized because I don't know if I can put up with that shit for a 100-hour RPG.

Until Dawn

This game is fucking awesome. I initially ignored it because it sounded like another lame survival horror zombie game from the title. It's actually an adventure game/social teen drama Sim where you play a group of teenagers in what is basically a slasher flick. And all of the characters are played by actual actors (including Hayden Penitierre, whose name I am too lazy to learn to spell, and Ward from agents of shield) who are all playing slasher movie stereotypes.

It's a wonderful horror game for people who don't like horror games, as it's really more enjoying the experience of being in a slasher film instead of actually trying to do horror/survival. I've already gotten one character horribly murdered.

Until Dawn

This game is fucking awesome. I initially ignored it because it sounded like another lame survival horror zombie game from the title. It's actually an adventure game/social teen drama Sim where you play a group of teenagers in what is basically a slasher flick. And all of the characters are played by actual actors (including Hayden Penitierre, whose name I am too lazy to learn to spell, and Ward from agents of shield) who are all playing slasher movie stereotypes.

It's a wonderful horror game for people who don't like horror games, as it's really more enjoying the experience of being in a slasher film instead of actually trying to do horror/survival. I've already gotten one character horribly murdered.
The best news is they are considering a sequel because of how well it did.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters

... well, I have to start a new character, so right now it's just Bloodborne until I beat a certain boss, collect a certain item, and wander into what used to be an instant-death trap, so I'm not sure how anyone's supposed to figure that out without looking it up. Funny thing, the whole thing was already downloaded in the last update, so I was just buying a $20 license.

My skills aren't as rusty as I thought they'd be, even though I'm running an Arcane build which is kind of weak unless you know what you're doing. The goal is to finish the game before Dark Souls 3 comes out. My wife has faith in this. And here I thought she knew me.