What are you playing?

Considering getting FF7 for my iPad tomorrow. I have a bunch of long trips coming up.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy that as well. I don't recall that game requiring a lot of grinding aside from getting read for the optional super-bosses, so that's a plus, but I'm wondering if nostalgia will carry me through the battle system that's honestly just not as interesting as non-Final Fantasy RPGs that have come after it.

Considering getting FF7 for my iPad tomorrow. I have a bunch of long trips coming up.
I'm trying to decide whether or not to buy that as well. I don't recall that game requiring a lot of grinding aside from getting read for the optional super-bosses, so that's a plus, but I'm wondering if nostalgia will carry me through the battle system that's honestly just not as interesting as non-Final Fantasy RPGs that have come after it.
If it's been updated for the current iOS, I would reccomend The World Ends With You instead. More actiony gameplay that uses touch controls fairly well and an interesting story set in Shibuya, Japan about self isolation.

Dex on PC. It's actually pretty fucking good. It's a sidescroller action RPG. It has some issues, like it doesn't explain it's controls well, but I'm otherwise having a great time with it. It's on sale right now on Steam. Here's a trailer. The game actually runs much smoother than the trailer shows.

On PC or console? And if on PC, how does it do without an analog input?
PC. (Yeah, RIGHT. My "console" is a Wii. :p )

It's simple input, actually - I mean, Slot cars are basically "squeeze trigger", and there's a slider on the side of the screen to regulate speed. Space bar puts you back on the track.

You have to run races to get coins to upgrade your car - first upgrade was to put a new motor in my "Pony", and what a difference.

I do like the track editor, to a certain extent; but it's a bit difficult to see the difference in track parts, and it sometimes "skips" what you've put down as track.

I know the iOS version plays very differently than the original DS version if that matters, but I get you. I know they also have Final Fantasy Tactics, Secret of Mana, and Chrono Trigger on iOS too.
I only played the DS version, so that might matter.

But really my issue with FF7 wasn't a lack of stuff to play on my Vita; it's that FF7 is $5 right now and I'm trying to decide if I want it even for that price. I conquered that game more than once, and while I could say the same for Chrono Trigger and (mostly, damn hidden secret Move-Find Items) in Final Fantasy Tactics, the latter are both among my favorite games and I'll replay them to death. With FF7, I just don't feel like the magic's going to be there anymore, but I'm not positive of that.

As for tonight, I'm giving Disgaea another shot, see if I can get into that one.

My son was trying out an eSports club at the rec center today... Based on the games they seem to be considering, I might have to get car soccer (Rocket League) and Smite just to give my son someone to practice with. Though they are using consoles. :'(

Welp, that was a mistake. Again.
The problem with Disgaea is two-fold:

- It's VERY, very dumb at times. You sort of need to like anime.
- The tactical side of things is NOT explained in the slightest and has layers you will never encounter without serious grinding.

I enjoy Disgaea but I would never recommend it to anyone.

The problem with Disgaea is two-fold:

- It's VERY, very dumb at times. You sort of need to like anime.
- The tactical side of things is NOT explained in the slightest and has layers you will never encounter without serious grinding.

I enjoy Disgaea but I would never recommend it to anyone.
Sort of like Armored Core. I kind of love it, but at the same time it's frequently so annoying and there is absolutely no guidance.

GasBandit

Staff member
Gave Fractured Space a try since it has a free weekend going. It's a MOBA with a sci-fi capital ship battle flavor. Two teams of 5 ships slug it out to capture territory and buffs, in hopes of eventually capturing the enemy base. It's an interesting concept and I like the aesthetic, but it's still very alpha. Situational awareness can be a challenge in 3D in a first person or over the shoulder camera view, and the game servers have a bad tendency to lag. But it is one to watch for if you like MOBAs. I especially like that it's not like LOL or DOTA in that frenetic clicking and pinpoint mouse control will not automatically guarantee that all the fights go to preteens on caffeine. The combat is slower paced and emphasizes strategy and teamwork rather than finger dexterity and quick reflexes. So, good for old farts like me.

Also gave Sunless Sea a shot. It's an interesting top-down 2d exploration survival game that reminds me a lot of an old PC game called Solar Winds. The game takes place in the "Unterzee," a vast undergound ocean with islands and cities and monsters and pirates. You are the captain of a ship, and you must explore, negotiate, trade and fight your way toward your goals, ranging from mere survival to cushy retirement to founding a new nation. It is heavily story driven with RPG elements, you can buy a better ships or better equipment for your ship, you upgrade your stats which determine your success chance in doing diplomatic, sneaky, or courageous things. Every game's world is randomly regenerated, and the game is very harsh - you will die a lot, and dying means you start over with a new captain, inheriting a little of what the previous captain had. It's a very engaging game. I'm not sure if I'll actually buy it or not when the free weekend is over, but it's definitely one to check out if you're into roguelikes, maritime adventure, and lovecraftian horror.

Gas and I we're playing Sunless Sea at the same time, I was on my third ship and gave up and he was still on his first. So.... lol.

Also gave Sunless Sea a shot. It's an interesting top-down 2d exploration survival game that reminds me a lot of an old PC game called Solar Winds. The game takes place in the "Unterzee," a vast undergound ocean with islands and cities and monsters and pirates. You are the captain of a ship, and you must explore, negotiate, trade and fight your way toward your goals, ranging from mere survival to cushy retirement to founding a new nation. It is heavily story driven with RPG elements, you can buy a better ships or better equipment for your ship, you upgrade your stats which determine your success chance in doing diplomatic, sneaky, or courageous things. Every game's world is randomly regenerated, and the game is very harsh - you will die a lot, and dying means you start over with a new captain, inheriting a little of what the previous captain had. It's a very engaging game. I'm not sure if I'll actually buy it or not when the free weekend is over, but it's definitely one to check out if you're into roguelikes, maritime adventure, and lovecraftian horror.
Here's a trailer for those interested.

Sunless Sea is also a spin-off game of Fallen London and takes place in the same universe... so if you've played that then you'll get a bit more of what is going on, like why the Iron Republic is crazy or why you can't go North beyond a point (despite that voice telling you to in between hunger pains). It's a free to play web based resource/time management thing where you're basically getting stuff to unlock more interesting storylets. It's a fun time waster and a lot of the writing is pretty good. There's even a bit of interconnectedness between the two games: you can get a chest in Fallen London that you can give to your Unterzee captain, who can then go on an adventure in Sunless Sea to open it.

Sunless Sea is also getting it's first expansion in a few months, Zubmariner: Lights in the Darkness. Zubmariner will allow you to turn your ship into a Zubmarine and sink beneath the black waves of the Unterzee to explore it's unknown depths. Here's the first footage.

Phantasy Star, now there's an RPG series I'd like to see remade. Phantasy Star 2 and 4 were really good stuff.
Fuck yea. I wish another game would be remade. Also there was another significant death in PS 4.

Also, I had to look-up 3, then remember how bitterly disappointing I was as a youth playing that tragedy of a game.

So started from the beginning of XCOM: Enemy Unknown on easy mode. So far it's pretty engaging, but man does it have some sudden difficulty spikes sometimes. I'm liking it, though.

I started playing The Long War last week, I got wiped on the first mission because my randomly generated map had shit for cover at the start and the aliens ambushed me. I did better on my second new start. ;)

I think it's a matter of firsts. I didn't flip out over Aeris, but I was stunned.
That said, no video game death has sucker punched me like the opening to The Last of Us. My wife and I were joking about how something bad was going to happen, "gee, I wonder what," and when the prologue ended, we both needed to take a few minutes break. That scene was more real than I was ready for. I didn't expect a character I'd known for all of ten minutes to put me in tears. Nothing else in the game got to me that emotionally.
You and @Jay, both.
(I still haven't played it. Heck, I haven't even played through FF7 yet so THANKS A LOT @GasBandit and much of the rest of the Internet)

--Patrick

BROFORCE

BRO! YOU GOTTA PLAY THIS, BRO! IT'S AWESOME! ALL THE CHARACTERS ARE CLASSIC ACTION HEROES, ONLY USING THE WORD "BRO", SOMEWHERE.

BROBOCOP!
BROMMANDO!
BRO HARD!
BRONAN THE BROBARIAN!

THIS GAME MAKES ME FEEL SO MANLY, I FEEL LIKE I NEED A SHOT OF ESTROGEN JUST TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN!

WHAT? ALL CAPS? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, BRO! IT'S BROFORCE! I'M TALKING LIKE THEY WOULD TALK!

Finished Demon's Souls. Got to the last area, beat the final "boss," and then ...

I suspected this was like Dark Souls and I was being had, so I stabbed my ally in the back.

Got the bad ending.

So started from the beginning of XCOM: Enemy Unknown on easy mode. So far it's pretty engaging, but man does it have some sudden difficulty spikes sometimes. I'm liking it, though.
"Okay, I'm just going to advance this soldier forward and... whaddya mean he's now surrounded by five aliens, all of whom have flanking shots???"

Found an old From Software game that came out between King's Field and the Demon's/Dark Souls series called Shadow Tower for Playstation 1.

I've had to start over twice now from falling off where your character begins. :D Ah, so they were always like this.

EDIT: I gotta give Sony credit, the level to which you can customize the controls for PSOne Classics is wonderful. This game came out for what I can only assume was pre-joysticks Playstation controller, so looking left and right is the D-pad, forward and back is D-pad, strafing is L1 and R1, and looking up/down is L2/R2. Not only are those garbage controls, but PS Vita doesn't have L2/R2. But you can not only map buttons here, but even each direction bush of the D-pad and joysticks, so it can play with modern first-person controls.

This is better key-binding than some PC games get.

Shadow Tower: Played for an hour and a half. You're worthless at the start, with nothing but a sword to your name, and the first armor you find sucks. I was overjoyed just to get a helmet drop off a slime.

The game's very exploratory, which I like, but it seems like once you make progress, you're kind of stuff having progressed. I jumped down a hole in the Human World before exploring all avenues and was dropped back into the titular tower, which links the different areas together. Now I'm in the Earth World, and though I'm managing okay, I'm wondering if I missed anything good ... or if there's a way to get back. I found a prisoner in a locked cell with the half-eaten corpse of another human, plus a set of decent-looking armor. Now I've got an iron key, but I don't know if it's for that cell or if I can even go there.

Also, one of the dwarf smiths (of the dwarf residents who haven't gone insane and become demonic) takes HP to repair equipment if you don't have money. I'm loving this.

Shadow Tower: Played for an hour and a half. You're worthless at the start, with nothing but a sword to your name, and the first armor you find sucks. I was overjoyed just to get a helmet drop off a slime.

The game's very exploratory, which I like, but it seems like once you make progress, you're kind of stuff having progressed. I jumped down a hole in the Human World before exploring all avenues and was dropped back into the titular tower, which links the different areas together. Now I'm in the Earth World, and though I'm managing okay, I'm wondering if I missed anything good ... or if there's a way to get back. I found a prisoner in a locked cell with the half-eaten corpse of another human, plus a set of decent-looking armor. Now I've got an iron key, but I don't know if it's for that cell or if I can even go there.

Also, one of the dwarf smiths (of the dwarf residents who haven't gone insane and become demonic) takes HP to repair equipment if you don't have money. I'm loving this.
Yeah, the "take HP instead of money" thing is in all the Shadow Tower games. It's an effective measure because HP healing isn't exactly common.

It's something you'll ether need to farm or conserve. You'll find a good amount, but it will never feel like enough.
I ended up just starting over and found a hidden area I didn't in the first world last time, and even another segment of the central tower. I'm not even in the second world yet and I already have way more healing and equipment than I did in the game I started this morning. I'll have to make a habit of checking suspicious-looking walls.