What are you playing?

Rocking Guild Wars 2 again.WvW is where it is at.Stupid Frenchies and Spaniards,doubleteaming us Germans,cuz they know they would lose otherwise.

I disagree, the last two games I've played on my 3DS were Kingdom Hearts and the new Paper Mario.
I finished Kingdom Hearts 3D (was decent) and New Super Mario Bros 2 (garbage). I have Zelda and Kid Icarus. I'm sure lots of people are playing 3DS games. But at the moment, I'm just playing DS games, and it feels like I probably didn't have to jump to get this thing like I did. Playing Kingdom Hearts and NSMB2 didn't feel like essential game experiences and I have a Nintendo 64 with Ocarina of Time sitting in my entertainment unit, so apparently I'm just a moron.

I'd feel less bitter if there were games I was looking forward to, but I'm hearing of no games coming out for it that grab my interest. I'm sure Paper Mario is amusing, but I'm sick of shelling out money to Nintendo for games I'm going to finish in 10 hours. Epic Mickey 2--played the demo and it's crap. I'm sure some people will like it, but the 3DS is capable of playing a game like the original Epic Mickey. They just wanted to get the touch screen involved. I feel like I'm just waiting for Nintendo to announce something I'd actually want to play that isn't an N64 port or a regular DS game.

I hope that I'm just oblivious to some good stuff that's on the horizon and that there isn't actually a dearth of good stuff coming to the 3DS. It's just that right now my wife and I are both heavy into Pokemon, and I see her still playing hers on her DS and think "You know, that didn't cost her another $200 in August."

Honestly, it's not just the 3DS. I've hated this entire year where video games are concerned. I said at the beginning of the year that 2012 was going to be weak and it seems I was right (though that was kind of okay since our funds have been limited). Even the games I was looking forward to either were good but not great (Dishonored) or ended up being terrible (Resident Evil 6). I was struggling to come up with games to put on my Christmas wishlist since one relative insisted that she wanted to get me a video game. 2013 looks great and allegedly from the beginning of the year--Ni No Kuni, The Last of Us, Bioshock: Infinite, Beyond: Two Souls. That stuff looks fantastic.

GoG.com had a sale on my pre-pubescent years a couple weeks ago (Wing Commander 1-4 + Privateer, Ultima 1-6, Crusader No Remorse/No Regret), so I've been kicking it old-school for a bit.

I'm playing Dishonored right now. It's basically Bioshock meets Thief, with a bit of Half-life 2 thrown in for good measure. It's also probably the best stealth game I've played since the original Thief, though I love that they give you the option of just running in and killing EVERYTHING if that's really what you want to do. Just remember to steal everything that isn't nailed down.

The game seems like it has a morality system, but it really doesn't. Rather, your actions determine just scared the public becomes over the course of the game. Do something like leave dozens of dead bodies in your wake, trigger lots of alarms and people get scared. Scared people do stupid things, get killed, and thus turn into Weepers (plague infested people that act like zombies), which will show up to make your life miserable. It also makes the ever growing plague rat problem get worse, which can make things easier (rats eat bodies, hiding them) and harder (rats eat YOU). It's an interesting mechanic that rewards you for not being a dumb ass.

The plot is decent enough, but it becomes glaringly obvious what is going on after a certain point.

I was legitimately surprised when 3 of your allies turned on you. I figured one or maybe two of the people who hinted at this kind of thing would do it, but all of them? I hope the servants got out at least...

Still, the plot itself isn't stupid and does have decent foreshadowing, as well as some excellent irony. It's also the only game that made me actually feel bad for not killing someone... practically all the non-lethal ways to eliminate your targets are fates worse than death. Being disfigured and shipped as a slave to a salt mine for the rest of your days tops my list of "Things I'd rather die than do".

I highly recommend Dishonored. Go out and get it!

So, just finished Chapter 5 of the Walking Dead.

I bawled.
Same. Those last few scenes made me realize that Season 1 was basically The Road, but with zombies. Glad Season 2 has already been confirmed.

The reveal of the guy on the Walki-Talkie was amazing, as was the revelation of WHY he did this. The music drops out and it's just Lee and him talking. The build up is so good.

Borderlands 2 - Finished Borderlands 1 for the second time ever and really enjoyed the final DLC which I hadn't previously played in my first playthrough. It was an excellent wrap-up to the series. Playing the second game now with all the bonuses for having save files of the first is fantastic, currently playing with Maya and the Dr. Tannis head skin. Freaking fantastic. My one complaint is that I feel very underpowered with this Siren vs Lilith due to the difference in powers. I DO love the lore that I've heard so far about Sirens in the universe though. Seriously awesome. Can't wait to get further through this one.

Tokyo Jungle - Holy shit is this game fun. It snuck up on me and I had never heard of it before I saw a playthrough of the first level on one of my youtube channels. Everyone should do themselves a favor and at least read up on this game. It's VERY unique and tons of fun for casual play. Let me just say, running through a city district filled with Lions as a House Cat wearing a sweater with a spiked collar had my heart nearly beating out of my chest.

WoW - Prepping for the 5.1 patch. Loving the final LFR of 5.0. It was very anti-climantic though, killing the Sha of Fear I expected a bit more story but eh, it was all good and fun.

Wait till you get some of the add-ons to Maya's stun. My brother cleared BL2 as her and eventually you use it to do all sorts of awesome stuff (explosion damage on end, faster recharge, lifesteal). She seemed weak early game but she was a beast for the latter half.

My one complaint is that I feel very underpowered with this Siren vs Lilith due to the difference in powers.
Maya's power isn't as strong offensively as Lilith's was, but it's just plain more useful once you get it upgraded. You can make it heal your allies, pull enemies toward it like a singularity grenade, or even make it bounce into enemies for damage (I think). This is on top of the immobilization stuff. Besides, if you want a Nova explosion like Lilith used to do, there are shields for that.

Now if you want a difference in power, look at Roland and Axel. Roland's Scorpio turret didn't do a lot of damage, even with the missile upgrade, but it had nice healing skills and could provide everyone with ammo. Axel's turret? It just shoots stuff, but it shoots stuff HARD. Right from the box it does enough damage to take enemies down... put missiles on it and it will level heavies in a single burst. Give it a second gun and it does double damage AND slags enemies for you. Plus you can get a great shield on it! Axel is basically better than Roland in every way.

I really fell like they balanced the powers much better this time around. Everybody gets a soloing/survivability tree, everybody gets a tree focusing on making their action ability generally more awesome, and everybody gets a tree that makes them better with their guns. No longer are each class defined by a single role in battle.

Wait till you get some of the add-ons to Maya's stun. My brother cleared BL2 as her and eventually you use it to do all sorts of awesome stuff (explosion damage on end, faster recharge, lifesteal). She seemed weak early game but she was a beast for the latter half.
That is really good to hear. I'm having trouble debating on what weapons to use with her. Shotgun seems good when I have them stunned, and so far I'm using Shotgun (1) and Asssault Rifle (2) but she has no weapon specialities in her talents so I'm still not 100% sure.

AshburnerX - Interesting. I played Lilith while my sister played Mordecai when we played BL1. She would snipe while I'd go in with SMGs blazing, and Phase out whenever my life got low. It was an awesome combination. Sadly I'm playing solo this time around and trying to learn Maya best I can.

That is really good to hear. I'm having trouble debating on what weapons to use with her. Shotgun seems good when I have them stunned, and so far I'm using Shotgun (1) and Asssault Rifle (2) but she has no weapon specialities in her talents so I'm still not 100% sure.
Don't worry too much about weapon specialties. It's not like Borderlands 1 where you had to specialize or your guns wouldn't be as good in the long run. Just use whatever feels most comfortable for you. For Maya I recommend fast firing guns with elemental effects like Maliwan SMGs to take advantage of her elemental skills, but really anything can be good in the end.

Also, unlike Borderlands 1, explosive weapons are actually worth a damn in this. Pick up a Torgue AR ( a normal one, not a rocket or torpedo one). Once you get used to the slowness of the gyrojet rounds, you will eat through enemies thanks to the constant damage bonus. Things that boost your elemental damage make Torgues kinda awesome.

Yeah Lilith's main badassery came from her elemental SMGs too. As for not having specialized weapons, I had already seen that ZERO has Sniper Rifle bonuses so I figured Axton and Salvador have certain weapon specialties too, though the SIRENS seem to be able to use anything that has Elemental Damage.

Axton gets some AR stuff, but nothing major, as well as bonuses to grenade capacity (I think he can hit 12 in total). Salvador gets stuff that makes rapid fire guns or guns with large ammo capacity better, including things that make them not use ammo on occasion. He can also occasionally throw two grenades (using up only one ammo) at once with a certain skill.

Gaige (from the Mechromancer DLC) is... weird. Her builds almost require synergy from other trees to work effectively, unless your going for her elemental tree. For instance, I would NEVER start the Anarchy tree (which lets her do CRAZY damage at the cost of accuracy and reloading) without taking points in the one that lets her missed shots occasionally ricochet into enemies. But her Elemental tree is kinda bad ass on it's own... not only does it make her shock damage better, but it also gives you ways to cause shock damage (with headshots), a way to cause fire damage (shock effects will occasionally light guys on fire), and a reliable source of HUGE spikes of Slag. This is on top of having a great Action ability in Deathtrap.

I'm still working through with Zero. I'm going strictly down the sniper tree. Once I get levelled in that, I'm going to add some points to the assassin tree to help with his melee bonus coming out of stealth. right now it's 400% damage right out of the box, so with a good bladed pistol, he can still do a one hit kill on most enemies if you time stealth right. So much more useful than bloodwing was with Malachai.

I never was too solid a sniper, I'm more of a -upfront- kind of guy. I tend to prefer shotguns but they gave that bonus to BRICK in the first game and I did NOT like BRICK'S special at all. I'm also not one for sentries/turrents so ROLAND was out for me. I loved that I could bounce in and out of a nasty fray with LILITH so that was my go-to character. Hoping to get MAYA strong enough to withstand upfront assaults from nasties.

If I can get a solid ELEMENTAL SHOTGUN and SMG, I think I'll be happy with that.

The only specialties are in Zero's sniping and Axton's non-elemental weapons. Outside of that nobody get anything particular with weapon types (though they might get specific % bonuses to elemental procs). I'm glad they've made it so you can be more open in weapon types, Maya does really well with shotguns and SMG's late game when you can lock a mob and blow him up while he's stunned. Also! Don't fret over Badasses and bosses who are immune to the stun, as they'll still take a shitload of damage from the special in place of getting stunned.

If I can get a solid ELEMENTAL SHOTGUN and SMG, I think I'll be happy with that.
All you really need to do huge damage is to find a QUAD shotgun. I used an explosive one for a good amount of time and it basically just destroyed anything I pointed it at in 2 shots. You can also find ones that act like mini mortars instead of shotguns, lobbing balls of elemental damage in an arc.

As for Elemental SMGs... If you need a good one RIGHT NOW, go to Moxxi and tip her a bunch of cash all at once, at least 10-15K. She'll eventually cough up Moxxi's Good Touch, which is a nice elemental SMG (usually toxic). Do it again later and she'll give you Moxxi's Bad Touch, which is a stronger version. I suggest waiting to do this until you really NEED a good SMG. Also, these guns will make your controller vibrate.

Pokemon Soul Silver: Well, I bombed that Nuzlocke. Literally. Went up against one of Team Rocket's mini-bosses and his Koffings and Weezings proceeded to Self-Destruct and Explosion my team to Pokehell.

I'm not starting over at this point, at seven badges. I'm just going to proceed without Nuzlocke rules anymore and enjoy the rest of Soul Silver like normal. Maybe I'll try again on some other cartridge someday.

I want to try the nuzlock, it's so different to how I normally play usually without a care for fainting or team wipes, but the only game I have dual copies of/would be willing to restart is Diamond, and I kind of hate the pokemon in that game...

figmentPez

Staff member
I've been playing Torchlight, and I think my helmet got a little bugged:
2012-11-22_Torchlight_bugged health bonus.jpg

+81,406 health, my health was 2,156 before I put the helmet on (it's only supposed to give ~300 health).

I want to try the nuzlock, it's so different to how I normally play usually without a care for fainting or team wipes, but the only game I have dual copies of/would be willing to restart is Diamond, and I kind of hate the pokemon in that game...
I agree that Diamond/Pearl/Platinum is a weak spot, but hating the Pokemon in a game and having to use them anyway is part of the point. I've learned strategies and abilities for Pokemon I never would've considered useful before. You should give Nuzlocke a try--I can't imagine playing the normal way again. It's kind of revitalized the franchise for me. I wish I'd known about it years ago, but then apparently the guy who came up with it only did so in 2010.

I'd like to try a run through Pokemon Black, but currently my online team and lots of legendaries are stored on there.

Also, changed my mind from last night and I'm not gonna quit yet. Even though all but two of my main team are dead, I'd like to keep going until I absolutely can't. Sure, that means my current team is 3/4 Water-type (Meganium being Grass, plus Cloyster, Gyarados, and Slowpoke), but whatever.

I'm stupid so I had no idea what this was until I read it here. I decided to try it myself on Emerald...I have a treecko and 3 wurmples :fu:
You're not stupid; I hadn't heard of it until last month myself.

Duplicates don't count. If the first Pokemon you run into is one you've already caught or in the same evolution tree, you're supposed to ignore it and catch the first new Pokemon, so that you don't have a party of Wurmples or Zubats :p.

Playing Hitman Absolution. I had no idea it shares a world with Kane and Lynch. I just watched Kane start a barfight.

B

BErt

You're not stupid; I hadn't heard of it until last month myself.

Duplicates don't count.
See, I had thought that, but then I saw the rules flowchart and thought I was playing wrong, so I restarted. That's when I ran into all the wurmples ever. Seriously, it felt like I was being trolled by the game.

I'm going to try this playthrough anyway. Good luck to anyone else that gives it a go. I do agree that any fan of the games should give it at least one attempt with the nuzlocke rules, it adds so much to the base game.