What are you playing?

Wow.... everyone was right..... Civ 5 is freaking addicting!

I never even liked Strategy games before.... amazing amazing amazing.

I thought about playing Luigi's Mansion today, but after The Conjuring, I'm just not mentally prepared for that haunted nightmare right now. So I'm playing Shin Megami Tensei IV instead.

Though I am getting a craving for Majora's Mask. I'm afraid of what it'll look like stretched across a widescreen HDTV.

Why would you play it stretched out? If you're playing it on the Nintendo virtual console, you can set it to the original aspect ratio.

If you say that you don't like the black bars, I'll give you such a pinch.

GasBandit

Staff member
Still a whole lot of gnomoria and a whole lot of Borderlands 2. Ironically, my buddy whose wife won't let him play video games any more is out of town on business, and so now at nights I'm getting more time to game with him than I have in the last year. Good thing his laptop is so badass (he switched from desktops to laptops 5 or 6 years ago in an attempt to compromise with said wife so that at least he could be sitting on the couch with her while he gamed, and she watched her stories).

Necronic

Staff member
Picked up Darksiders 2 on the weekend sale. It's definitely got its flaws, but it's a fantastic platformer, and the scale of the world is pretty great. Decent amount of replay value as well from what I can tell.

Picked up Darksiders 2 on the weekend sale. It's definitely got its flaws, but it's a fantastic platformer, and the scale of the world is pretty great. Decent amount of replay value as well from what I can tell.
I enjoyed the first one, but for some reason I couldn't get into the sequel. Maybe it's the combat or something, feels too frenetic.

Eh, I'll get back to it after I play some other games.

Why would you play it stretched out? If you're playing it on the Nintendo virtual console, you can set it to the original aspect ratio.

If you say that you don't like the black bars, I'll give you such a pinch.
I wish I could have black bars, but unfortunately there are no such settings on my Nintendo 64.

There may be an option on your TV to adjust the aspect ratio.
I've messed with the settings, but couldn't get anything to work. However, your saying that reminds me that the box with all the TV manuals and such is still sitting in the closet, so thanks! I'll rummage around in there tomorrow and see if I can find a solution. It'd be nice to play it on the TV instead of buying it again whenever Nintendo gets a 3DS release going. I'd like to avoid the double-dip after I've quadruple-dipped Ocarina of Time.

In other spending news--why the hell didn't I know New Super Mario Bros 2 had DLC? All this time I've been thinking "that's it?" and hadn't touched it again, but there were harder levels for me to play if I wanted them. I know it'll never match the greatness of Donkey Kong Country Returns, but this was what I wanted and it's existed for a while outside of my knowledge. Sheesh, I need to start paying attention when Nintendo sends me Spotpass news blips.

Just about done with Ni No Kuni (halfway through the last dungeon), starting up Rogue Galaxy on the PS2 and slowly playing through FF7 on PC. Haven't played an MMO since the FF14 beta ended, which is likely to be the only MMO I play once it's out. Think I'm done with WoW.

I know but I do it every year and get distracted about 3/4 through and then start again the next time.
I had the same problem last playthrough. Got all the way to the last fight and got sidetracked with RL stuff. I even farmed that Goddamn Sword of Kings for Poo, took like 3 hours.

Usually I give it an hour at most because I just get tired of respawning the same guy over and over, but the last couple playthroughs I was determined to get it. First time was only like 5 kills, this one was nearly 3 hours of that nonsense. Granted I curbstomped the rest of the game because my levels were high.

Usually I give it an hour at most because I just get tired of respawning the same guy over and over, but the last couple playthroughs I was determined to get it. First time was only like 5 kills, this one was nearly 3 hours of that nonsense. Granted I curbstomped the rest of the game because my levels were high.
That's just it, you get the awesome weapon and it's easy to do since you can PSI heal your party and there's always a Magic Butterfly on the one side of the catwalk. And then you're like 10 levels higher than you should be.

Getting close to the end of The Last of Us. Combat-wise, it really is what was advertised and desired. Goddamn is the AI smart, and refreshingly, it's smart enough to be tricked the way a human would (at least when fighting humans). Story-wise ... I don't feel it's as dramatic as The Walking Dead, or giving me so many doses of pain, but it is often shocking and harsh.

If there's anything I criticize, it's something I see in many games these days--I know I'm getting into a fight regardless of context if I walk into a room or area full of waist-high objects.

If there's anything I criticize, it's something I see in many games these days--I know I'm getting into a fight regardless of context if I walk into a room or area full of waist-high objects.
It's true. My friends and I always comment on this. Especially with the Uncharted games, which were made by the same company. "Hey look at all these pillars conveniently fallen over so I could slowly close the distance between here and the exit while crouching behind each one." "Yes, you could, but why on earth would anyone want to slowly crouch their way across a room?" "You're right. How silly. I'll just walk through the rubble, surely it's not arranged this for a purpose. Things fall over, not by design!"

OH HEY TEAM OF HEAVILY ARMED MEN
HOW'S IT GOING
HEY
I CAN'T HEAR MYSELF THINK OVER THE SOUND OF THE GUNFIRE
KEEP IT DOWN
OUCH THAT HIT ME

Another thing is combat music. I know everyone's dead because the music has stopped. Also they are not stealthy. "DRAAAAAAKE!" "I THINK HE'S OVER HERE!" I'd like it if there were teams of guys sans music, who kept their mouths shut, at least sometimes (I get the music is fun and adds atmosphere), so you could be like "WHOA holyshitholyshit didnotseeyouthere." as you push forward thinking you're safe.

Finished The Last of Us.

While the story was engaging, I don't think it was all that great a narrative. I got invested in the characters, but this was not the cohesive story that I saw in The Walking Dead and Bioshock Infinite earlier this year. That said, of course it is a video game and there's more to it than story. The gameplay was terrific and is why I'll be keeping this for a little while.

But that ending was kind of meh. I appreciate what Joel went through and that things are weird now, but he must be an idiot to think the Fireflies won't try tracking Ellie down after all this.

Finished The Last of Us.

While the story was engaging, I don't think it was all that great a narrative. I got invested in the characters, but this was not the cohesive story that I saw in The Walking Dead and Bioshock Infinite earlier this year. That said, of course it is a video game and there's more to it than story. The gameplay was terrific and is why I'll be keeping this for a little while.

But that ending was kind of meh. I appreciate what Joel went through and that things are weird now, but he must be an idiot to think the Fireflies won't try tracking Ellie down after all this.
How would they track her down? The only people left alive in the building are potentially 2 surgeons and any guards you missed. Even if they survive to find help, Joel and Ellie will be on the other side of the state and no one knows what they look like except the surgeons... and that's assuming that wasn't the last of the Fireflies. Even if it's not, it could be weeks or months before any Fireflies head to the building to check up on everyone.

Basically what I'm saying is that it's an incredibly remote chance that anyone would go looking for them. Even if they did, they may not have the ability to do anything with the cordecep anymore.