What are you playing?

It's been that way for a long time as far as I know.
In summer 2010 we were able to return BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger the day after I bought it; it didn't suck, it was just too hard. Though now I realize the problem might be that that store was actually a Gamestop, while the one I was at was technically EBGames. Same company, but they have weird distinctions between outlets. For example: EBGames still sells PSP/PS2 games and will take them for trade, while the Gamestop nearby will not.

In any case, guess I'm gonna try to make the best of Pokemon Black 2. I don't feel like trading it in to get $17 less than I paid.

As for Dishonored, game is fucking awesome.

In summer 2010 we were able to return BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger the day after I bought it; it didn't suck, it was just too hard. Though now I realize the problem might be that that store was actually a Gamestop, while the one I was at was technically EBGames. Same company, but they have weird distinctions between outlets. For example: EBGames still sells PSP/PS2 games and will take them for trade, while the Gamestop nearby will not.
The Gamestop near my house still sells PS2 and PSP games. There is actually still a huge market for these in low-income neighborhoods.

The Gamestop near my house still sells PS2 and PSP games. There is actually still a huge market for these in low-income neighborhoods.
That makes sense--the mall where the EBGames here is could be considered lower income than the strip mall of expensive places where the Gamestop is located.

I only do it if they offer a pre-order bonus I like. If not, then it's Amazon.
They might, I don't really pre-order much so I never asked. I know they have a membership deally for sure.

They also sell toys, and really old games! Rare ones! Like the kind that are in fancy pants jewel cases guarded by the power of the ancient powers.

Been playing Torchlight 2.

Just reached act 2, and it's a noticeable jump in difficulty. I'm playing a dual wielding berserker, with life-draining weapons in both hands. Coupled with that passive skill that lets me drain life on every critical hit, and another passive skill that lets me charge faster and thus crit more, I was basically leisurely pounding things to death throughout act 1. Almost never had to use a potion.

Act 2 comes around, and I'm all like, "Crap crap crap, potion potion HURRY POTION aww damn I died."

Absolutely loving the new XCOM. It's a really good, updated take on the original, and at least to me it feels more tense to play.

At first, I thought Normal was too easy, but then the difficulty spiked once the higher-level Mutons started showing up, and then 4 of my highest ranked people got ganked in a single mission, and now looking at the memorial wall makes me really sad.

I got the pre-order, and so I turned my main support medic into a modern hippy by giving him the brush hair, only green, but a goaty and one of the more stoned facial expressions. He served 9 missions, amassed 18 kills, saved the lives of every one of the senior officers, made Captain himself...and was then cut down in an ambush as Mutons busted through the walls.

I have decreed that in honor of his service, and n recognition of him being the highest rank KIA on the memorial board, all support troopers will wear green brush hair.

I finally hit "play" on Terraria a couple of weeks ago. A big mistake (too many hours played!). It's like when Minecraft was new again, and you get obsessed. Different than MC, but still good. The beginning is rough, but once you get a certain level of gear, the game isn't annoying, and thus a lot more fun.

But fun. I'd recommend it, but obsession is easy!

Played so much Terraria when it came out. Amazing game. Then the 1.0 content patch hit and I went into Hardmode. Damn did it get crazy. By the time the 1.0 content patch hit I was pretty much done with the game and just creating structures for fun as I was so powerful I was just slaughtering everything around even in Hell. The moment I turned on Hardmode in patch 1.0 I learned how weak I really was.

Amazing amazing game.

Been playing Torchlight 2.

Just reached act 2, and it's a noticeable jump in difficulty. I'm playing a dual wielding berserker, with life-draining weapons in both hands. Coupled with that passive skill that lets me drain life on every critical hit, and another passive skill that lets me charge faster and thus crit more, I was basically leisurely pounding things to death throughout act 1. Almost never had to use a potion.

Act 2 comes around, and I'm all like, "Crap crap crap, potion potion HURRY POTION aww damn I died."
Just wait till Act 3 and the final dungeon. Brutal. I played an Engineer and put some points into my armor/defense passive, as well as pumping up my AoE attacks (played a 2h Engi) and I usually just waded into packs and went to town.

I bought Fall of Cybertron and beat it in the same day. Ridiculously good game, and the story was really compelling. The nods to the animated movie were awesome to spot, Grimlok was a fucking badass, and the new background for the Dinobots was really great. I hope there's a third after High Moon finishes up the Deadpool game.

The basics of Terraria are similar to Minecraft:
  • You can't do jack without wood
  • You can't do a lot more without a crafting table
  • Dig down to get more stuff
  • You can't make x-y-z without ore you need to mine, or specific monsters to kill Dig down!
Then specific stuff:
  • At least you start out with a pick, and an axe!
  • Make a hammer ASAP
  • Terraria is a LOT more about combat than Minecraft is
  • Slimes drop gel, which you need for torches
  • You NEED an axe to cut down trees. Just hold down the left mouse button while pointing at the bottom of the tree with an axe equipped. The acorns make saplings, which only grow if you're OFF screen from it (polar opposite of minecraft where you MUST be near enough for "things to happen"), and ensure you do for sustainable forestry. Not an infinite map, so more important here than in MC.
  • Go to one of the wikis for instructions on making a house, and how that attracts NPCs. http://wiki.terrariaonline.com
  • Wooden platforms let you go through them by pushing "down" and you can jump through them from below
  • Crafting is done by being NEAR the device, not clicking on it
  • A furnace is essential.
  • Anvils are essential. Get one fast
  • Right-click-and-hold lets you craft a bunch at once rather than clicking a lot.
Beyond that... I dunno. If you've played minecraft, most of the rest flows pretty easy. I'll admit though it gets a LOT easier once you hit a certain amount of gear, and get more health (heart crystals while exploring) so a map viewer helps a lot, even more than in MC I'd argue.

But if it's not for everybody, hey, that makes sense too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, I figured most of all that out... it just... didn't do anything for me. I guess because it lacked the "build giant monuments to my own grandeur" thing was done so much better in Minecraft, and that's really where I got my jollies in that game.

Yeah, I'm in exactly the same boat as GB. I understand how to work the game, I just don't get the appeal. Which is fine. Not every game has to appeal to everyone, or you wind up with the dreck that EA and Activision pump out year after year.

Minecraft = Building game
Terraria = Adventure Action game

The only similarity is that you use materials you gather to create items/weapons/structures.

Lollipop Chainsaw.

I just couldn't help myself, and I held off for so long. And I'm actually enjoying the game quite a bit! I love the crazy, over the top mayhem aspect. The controls...not the best, but I can live with them just fine. Dialogue = completely hilarious. It is a rather short game, I'm not through with it yet, but I believe I'm almost done. Unless there's more after the 5 boss stages? But yeah, I got to stage three in the span of a few hours and only, I think anyway, have two stages left to go.

This game makes me happy. It's just a fun game to tide me over. :)

Whoever designed the Goron Hide and Seek Dungeon on the moon in Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask needs to shot right in his ass cheeks with low velocity rounds. Not killed, just made to be in lots of pain. I tried for over an hour to beat that dungeon. It took me maybe twenty minutes total to beat the other three, and that was only because I kept screwing up the Deku dungeon. A just-wider-than-Link racetrack where being even slightly off sends you back to the start and there are only two places where you can get up to speed? Seriously?

Majora's mask is just a series of minigames that are annoying as fuck most of the time. I think that's the only Zelda game (other than Skyward Sword, because I haven't had it that long) that I've never re-played and never plan to. It was just a lot of tedium, not a lot of fun. The weird part is that dungeons usually were the highlight of the game, but there were only 4 of them, and many "mini-crap" that was just painful in so many other ways.

Which is ironic, because most fans (myself included) consider Majora's Mask to be the best of the series because of it's free roam exploration aspect... which is why we're kinda mad it's never gotten a re-release, unlike Ocarina of Time (which has had like 3 at this point).

You can buy Majora's mask on the WiiShop, though it's the gamecube version.

Also, I hate Majora's Mask. The amount of times I failed to get into the mother fucking Goron dungeon fill me with rage just thinking about it. ;)

Zappit

Staff member
Quotemander might not like it, but I've been enjoying Black 2, most likely because I never got too deep in Black 1. I also used the AR on that quite extensively as I did not have wi-fi. (With-fi sucked on the original DS, anyway.) this game, I'm going to put the time in. I've got the Victini and the Genosect now, and the Dream Radar game that goes with this is actually pretty cool, and gets you Pokemon with rare or dream world abilities.

I'm also playing Code of Princess now, too. It's like Atlus just went nuts with this one. Fan service is rampant, goofy voice work complements a fairly ridiculous story. Not too far in yet, but it obviously doesn't take itself seriously in the least.

Quotemander might not like it, but I've been enjoying Black 2, most likely because I never got too deep in Black 1. I also used the AR on that quite extensively as I did not have wi-fi. (With-fi sucked on the original DS, anyway.) this game, I'm going to put the time in. I've got the Victini and the Genosect now, and the Dream Radar game that goes with this is actually pretty cool, and gets you Pokemon with rare or dream world abilities.

I'm also playing Code of Princess now, too. It's like Atlus just went nuts with this one. Fan service is rampant, goofy voice work complements a fairly ridiculous story. Not too far in yet, but it obviously doesn't take itself seriously in the least.
I'm gonna give Black 2 another go once I have my online team where I want them in Black 1. I've now finished exploring Black 1 and think I can move along and... we'll see what happens. I'm stuck with the game unless I take a severe hit from what I paid, so I might as well try it when I have time.

I was curious about Code of Princess, but Atlus has just burned me too many times recently (Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Gungnir) for me to go buying something full-price that isn't Persona 4.

Zappit

Staff member
I thought Overclocked was great, aside from the difficulty curve jumping to a difficulty cliff so quickly. They're still one of my favorite publishers, and I've never even played a Persona game.

I thought Overclocked was great, aside from the difficulty curve jumping to a difficulty cliff so quickly. They're still one of my favorite publishers, and I've never even played a Persona game.
If Overclocked was something I'd wanted to play, I'd have liked it. But I thought it was more of a tactical RPG as opposed to a squad game wrapped around a regular RPG. I'm sure the story was fantastic, but I wanted a tactical RPG when I bought it. Just wasn't feeling it as it was.

Then Atlus did give me a tactical RPG (Gungnir) and I was even more disappointed.

Atlus games I have played and loved are Radiant Historia (eeeee!), Persona 3, and Catherine. I've watched my wife play SMT: Digital Devil Saga before she put it down and never touched it again. I'd play it, but those games are a lot of grinding and I'd rather do that on a handheld, so maybe they'll port it to Vita someday and that'll be another reason to get one when I can afford it.

There's a chance I'll get Odin Sphere since it's only $5 and I still have $20 left on my PSN account. Not sure right now. Got a lot of Bethesda games to go through. I've beaten Skyrim and played a good 200 hours of it with three different characters and I still don't feel I've scratched the surface. Then I still need to play through Fallout: New Vegas.

Yeah, I don't need more games right now. I need more hours in the day.

Started playing Endless Space, 4X space sim.
It's not bad. There are some things they've done a little differently than other games, and they do them well. I've tried two games on normal difficulty and lost both without firing a shot. Population victory. Turns out the computer is a lot better and growing population than I am. The second game I didn't even find the opponent in the galaxy before they won. Have to try a different strategy. And this is less than 100 turns into the game!

Zappit

Staff member
Started Skylanders Giants. Don't judge me! Ten minutes in and I've already faced a boss voiced by George Takei, acting very much like George Takei. I think good things will come. Downside...one of the new characters is voiced by Bobcat Goldthwait.

Late to the party on this, but I've never played more than the first dungeon of Majora's Mask. It didn't draw me in at all. To be fair, though, past OoT the only newer Zelda I've played to the end is Wind Waker. I didn't get much out of Twilight Princess (lost interest at that Sky Palace dungeon) and I haven't picked up Skyward Sword (though I hear it's pretty great). I think the last Zelda I truly loved playing was WW or Link to the Past.