Whats for Dinner?

I just prepared Döner meat. Gonne see the result tommorow. Since I dont have a rotisserie I am gonna try the method one of my turkish friends showed me.
You prepera the meat, wrap it in cling film till it gets that log shape, freeze it and then once it is frozen shave of the meat.
You then fry the meat shavings withoug flipping them, so you get meat that is crispy on one side and chewy on the other.

The Döner was a success. Tasted like a Döner from a dirty little corner kebab store at the Hamburg red light district, where a guy named Mehmet
who speaks fluent english,french,swedish,turkish and arabic, but no german greets you with a huge grin and after you drunkenly give him your order, shaves mystery meat of the spit and drowns it in tzatziki and "spicy".

The Döner was a success. Tasted like a Döner from a dirty little corner kebab store at the Hamburg red light district, where a guy named Mehmet
who speaks fluent english,french,swedish,turkish and arabic, but no german greets you with a huge grin and after you drunkenly give him your order, shaves mystery meat of the spit and drowns it in tzatziki and "spicy".
Um... WANT. :)

Here is the recipe:

For the meat spit
500g ground lamb or beef
1 large onion
1 cup yoghurt
1tbl paprika
1tsp red pepper flakes
1tsp oregano
1tsp thyme

Step 1
Grate the onion. Light a small candle so you wont die crying. Mix the grated onion with the meat,yoghurt and spices.

Step 2
Put the meat mixture into your food processor and blend till it becomes a paste. Let it chill for 30 mins in the fridge and then wrap it in cling film and freeze over night.

Step 3
Shave meat off the frozen spit using a sharp knife. Fry in a very hot pan till you reached desired crispyness. Dont crowd your pan.

Step 4
Put the meat into a toasted pita that you filled with sliced lettuce,onions,cucumber and tomatoes. You can go nuts here, red cabbage, picled peppers, feta cheese. Do what you like. For the sauce you can use tzatziki, schiracha or whatever you desire.

Alternative cooking method:

you can also put the meatslurry into a meatloafpan and bake it at 150°C for 90 minutes. After cooking drain the fat into a Jar and save it. Slice strips off of the Döner loaf and fry in the drained fat. Freeze the left over meat.

Here is the recipe:

For the meat spit
500g ground lamb or beef
1 large onion
1 cup yoghurt
1tbl paprika
1tsp red pepper flakes
1tsp oregano
1tsp thyme

Step 1
Grate the onion. Light a small candle so you wont die crying. Mix the grated onion with the meat,yoghurt and spices.

Step 2
Put the meat mixture into your food processor and blend till it becomes a paste. Let it chill for 30 mins in the fridge and then wrap it in cling film and freeze over night.

Step 3
Shave meat off the frozen spit using a sharp knife. Fry in a very hot pan till you reached desired crispyness. Dont crowd your pan.

Step 4
Put the meat into a toasted pita that you filled with sliced lettuce,onions,cucumber and tomatoes. You can go nuts here, red cabbage, picled peppers, feta cheese. Do what you like. For the sauce you can use tzatziki, schiracha or whatever you desire.

Alternative cooking method:

you can also put the meatslurry into a meatloafpan and bake it at 150°C for 90 minutes. After cooking drain the fat into a Jar and save it. Slice strips off of the Döner loaf and fry in the drained fat. Freeze the left over meat.
it has begun

1594126664041.png

shaving the frozen meat was a pain...and most of it ended up losing its nice shaved look. I think next time I'm gonna try the meatloaf pan option.

Tasted great though :) And since you can only buy plain yogurt here in the 2lb container, I used the rest to make my own tzatziki

I pretty much just ate several cookies worth of chocolate chip cookie dough (and somehow still managed to bake 45 cookies), so I give up on dinner today. My teenagers can fend for themselves while I regret everything.

Guys.

Guys.

I made the most amazing chicken and mushroom risotto last night.

Like, when I finished it, I actually felt a pang of regret that there was no more risotto left in my bowl.

I would literally allow Gordon Ramsay to taste this risotto. I want to open a restaurant and sell this risotto. I want to submit this risotto to competitions, and then build a trophy room for all the awards it would win.

Oh, also, it looks gross.

27290.jpg

Guys.

Guys.

I made the most amazing chicken and mushroom risotto last night.

Like, when I finished it, I actually felt a pang of regret that there was no more risotto left in my bowl.

I would literally allow Gordon Ramsay to taste this risotto. I want to open a restaurant and sell this risotto. I want to submit this risotto to competitions, and then build a trophy room for all the awards it would win.

Oh, also, it looks gross.

View attachment 34596
That looks amazing. And gross, just the way good risotto should.

Broccoli stir-fry over rice with homemade fried chili oil. Holy shit this giant 1lb+ sauerkraut jar is full of napalm. Nailed it.

Made ratatouille from Ratatouille, that I later learned is more like a confit byaldi than traditional ratatouille.

IMG_20200718_194456_369.jpg

IMG_20200718_223615_208.jpg

IMG_20200718_223615_209.jpg

Ignore the plating, started late and by the time I had finished I just wanted to eat the damn thing. Pretty good though.

Did it take you the full 4 hours?

--Patrick
Roughly yeah. But that takes into consideration time cooking too.

I had Sarah help arrange the slices with me, and we weren't so precise since I couldn't get a similarly sized eggplant and had to quarter a larger one to make it work, so we cut the time for that down significantly. I'd say it was about 35 minutes prep time making the sauce, cutting and arranging then about 30 cooking the sauce down and another 2 and a half hours in the oven.

Definitely a weekend dish though.