Coronavirus Thread

Trump is literally trying to incite riots, and Republicans still don't care. I hate this fucking timeline.

Trump is literally trying to incite riots, and Republicans still don't care. I hate this fucking timeline.
I think you mean he's attempting to "rally his faithful to his banner."
His dogwhistle is more like an air-raid siren.

--Patrick

Now is not the time for sarcasm.
My comment was supposed to be an overt yet economical way of stating that the reason the Republicans are sitting on their hands is because they feel like Trump's actions support their position, which is to escalate hostilities towards minorities and the Liberal Left. You are correct that now is not the time for sarcasm, it is the time for action, but as the only legal option I have is to wait until November, sarcasm is what you get.

--Patrick

Fuck it. Just fuck it all. If elected, I'm authorizing deadly force to deal with these fuckwits.

Some Proud Boys went to a gated community to confront the Councilman in his OWN HOME wile small children were present.

The *Councilman* was the one charged by police.

I can't read the story right now, but....If these guys came up to you in your own home to harrass you, in many states (probably not Cal), wouldn't he have been perfectly within his rights to pull out a gun and start shooting the trespassers?

I can't read the story right now, but....If these guys came up to you in your own home to harrass you, in many states (probably not Cal), wouldn't he have been perfectly within his rights to pull out a gun and start shooting the trespassers?
I don't think so. All of them look white.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's California. Technically they SAY they adhere to the castle doctrine, but at the same time they don't have "stand your ground" laws, so if you defend yourself on your own property, it's going to be up to the whims of which particular police officer and judge you get as to whether you committed a crime or not.

Dave

Staff member
My son on Monday came home from work. He wasn't feeling well. He had a headache and his stomach was upset. He also took yesterday off. When he went back today they told him to go back home. See you next week. So he's off until Monday unpaid and has no choice in the matter.

Please note that he has very little bills and this loss won't affect him in the least. But for others it might be a very bad thing.

Problem of course being that large parts of the world either aren't testing (most of Africa, parts of southern America) or aren't publicising honest numbers (Russia, China, India, Brazil). I mean, I'm absolutely sure US deaths are being massively underreported too, but it's very hard to base much of anything on the reported numbers. Likewise, Belgium is incredibly high on the list for reported deaths (more than Germany! More than Russia! Not per capita, in absolute numbers), but we're one of the few countries that's probably overreporting instead of underreporting, since we count everyone who dies with any potential symptoms, too. There have been officially confirmed reports of people dying of a heart attack being labeled as Covid-victim, because they were coughing so might had Covid too and it may have contributed to the fact they didn't survive. The "parahutist whose parachute didn't deploydies of Corona" meme is pretty much accurate here right now.

Anyway, point being - having a large percentage of confirmed deaths makes sense if you're also testing a lot and accurately reporting. That probably isn't the case, but it's impossible to tell from the numbers given.

Problem of course being that large parts of the world either aren't testing (most of Africa, parts of southern America) or aren't publicising honest numbers (Russia, China, India, Brazil). I mean, I'm absolutely sure US deaths are being massively underreported too, but it's very hard to base much of anything on the reported numbers. Likewise, Belgium is incredibly high on the list for reported deaths (more than Germany! More than Russia! Not per capita, in absolute numbers), but we're one of the few countries that's probably overreporting instead of underreporting, since we count everyone who dies with any potential symptoms, too. There have been officially confirmed reports of people dying of a heart attack being labeled as Covid-victim, because they were coughing so might had Covid too and it may have contributed to the fact they didn't survive. The "parahutist whose parachute didn't deploydies of Corona" meme is pretty much accurate here right now.

Anyway, point being - having a large percentage of confirmed deaths makes sense if you're also testing a lot and accurately reporting. That probably isn't the case, but it's impossible to tell from the numbers given.
Yeah, our testing is shit, certain states are underreporting on purpose, some are underreporting because they don't know, and yet we're still winning! That's why we can open up again after all. :|

True, the most accurate numbers are probably going to end up being total number of deaths during the pandemic minus the number of deaths that should be expected. The UK for instance had 28,000 deaths from coronavirus prior to 1st May but has had 50,000 extra deaths (based on average number of deaths for this time of year over the last 5 years).

The more dumb shit I see my parents post on Facebook, the less convinced I am that the US is getting out of this crisis intact.

TIL about the scene in South Dakota.
Fed up with the US Government's lax attitude towards containment, the Cheyenne River Sioux have set up checkpoints on the highways that pass through their tribal lands. Commercial and SD residents are allowed passage, but all others are turned back.
SD Governor Kristi Noem wrote them a letter:
I request the Tribe immediately cease interfering or regulating traffic on U.S. and State Highways and remove all travel checkpoints. If the checkpoints are not removed within the next 48 hours, the State will take necessary legal action.
Cheyenne River Tribe Chairman Harold Frazier's response:
Article 16 of the Ft. Laramie Treaty signed in 1868 by your government and our respected ancestors dictates the following. "...stipulates and agrees that no white person or persons shall be permitted to settle upon or occupy any portion of the same; or without the consent of the Indians first had and obtained, to pass through the same."
I absolutely agree that we need to work together during this time of crisis, however you continue to interfere in our efforts to do what science and facts dictate seriously undermine our ability to protect everyone on the reservation. Ignorant statements and fiery rhetoric encourage individuals already under stress from this situation to carry out irrational actions. [...] I regretfully decline your request. I stand with our elder Councilman Ed Widow that the purpose of our actions is to "save lives rather than save face."
"We know how badly an unchecked disease can decimate a population and respectfully ask that you shove your request up your governatin' ass."

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
The exact decision was that the order is "unenforceable."

Either way, yeah, the Wisconsin GOP is full of it.
Given the number of armed people who are willing to shoot someone over the issue, they might just be right that it is unenforceable.*

*Yes, I know that's not the way they meant their ruling.

The exact decision was that the order is "unenforceable."

Either way, yeah, the Wisconsin GOP is full of it.
They Wisconsin Supreme Court has been a fucking joke for years, and blatantly so since a literal fight broke out and the witnesses of what happened split on party lines. It's so sad, it's not even funny. Of course, the last election saw the GOP candidate lose 56% to 44%, so maybe the state is waking up to the bullshit.