Coronavirus Thread

Dave

Staff member
We are the willfully dumbest country on the planet. If only it would kill just the stupid people who weren't taking this seriously I'd be okay with it. But it's affecting everyone, mostly thanks to the above morons.

figmentPez

Staff member
Remember when we thought it was the elementary schools that were going to be the hotbeds of transmission because it's the 5-10yr olds who are the "most irresponsible?"
For me it's never been about how irresponsible any group is, rugrats are a bigger vector because they're more likely to be asymptomatic, and they're in frequent contact with their parents. College students are spreading this strongly to other people at colleges, but not necessarily to any other groups.

Also, I've never singled out elementary as the worst. All K-12 was going to be spreading it to their parents, and teachers, and bus drivers, and....

For me it's never been about how irresponsible any group is, rugrats are a bigger vector because they're more likely to be asymptomatic, and they're in frequent contact with their parents. College students are spreading this strongly to other people at colleges, but not necessarily to any other groups.

Also, I've never singled out elementary as the worst. All K-12 was going to be spreading it to their parents, and teachers, and bus drivers, and....
College kids don't tend to stay on campus though.

GasBandit

Staff member
I think I really cheesed off a client today. As I was packing up to leave after finishing a job, he asked me "So what do you think about all this mask BS?" I said, "I think if everybody would just wear their masks for a month, we'd be done with all this and could start getting back to normal."

"I think you're a sucker!" he said, pointing his finger at my mask. "You've been suckered into wearing that! And if any cop stops me on the street and asks 'Hey, where's your mask?' I'll tell him to fuck off!"

"Well, (client name)," I grinned sardonically, "you might get away with that, since you're white."

Dude nearly hit the roof.

Dave

Staff member
Remember when I said I just traveled through South Dakota and everyone there were fucking Trumper idiots? Yeah. So not surprised there was a gathering of them.

Every time I get a new update from Li'l Z's school about the ridiculous amount of procedures they'll be implementing, all I can think is that if you have to do this many things for *possible* safety, you shouldn't be opening the schools.

With so many schools around here going online-only, I'm really annoyed we're dragging our feet on this. How many kids, or staff, as going to get sick before they change it? So stupid.

My greatest fear may be coming true shortly.

The number of new cases in the state has been dropping steadily since roughly mid-July, which may make more SD's bold enough to do what the complete idiots at Combs School District tried: open for in-person learning.

Not "minimal", as mandated by the Governor. Complete in-person learning.

As of right now, MPS is at "minimal", which right now is 26 schools with only a few kids at each. BUT MPS is apparently "adding" to this biweekly, so a "new" session would begin on August 31st.

I don't know right now if there's going to be a point where transportation is going to be added for students beyond what's being provided right now (which appears to be shuttling students from the six high schools to EVIT for classes at the college).

We're closer to where I'm going to be going back to work - which would be nice - but as @figmentPez so aptly put it, "all K-12 (students are) going to be spreading" COVID - and I'm gonna be the first ones in line.

A potentially useful link:

The Covid Monitor -- anonymous reporting of school based covid-19

It looks like they are just starting to collect information, and the website seems not particularly optimized, but it's a start.

Oh boy, I can't wait for a whole new wave of vaccine mistrust to start up when Trump strongarms the FDA into giving emergency authorization to the fake Russian vaccine right before Election Day.

I'm pretty sure there is no way someone doesn't just smuggle the vaccine out and we just make it, ignoring any patent China claims on it. It would be both just and fair, considering their own attitudes toward following international patent law. Barring that, if proven effective, someone's just going to seize a shipment sent abroad to anyone who capitulates.

It's a strong flex but I don't see Biden making or honoring this deal, even if Trump caved.

So, guess who came back from vacation to find out there's a positive case on the floor he works on, then got tested and it came back Inconclusive?

And of course the 2nd time they took samples they made sure to wiggle the testing swab more inside my brain and throat.

From what i can tell from the result it seems it don't have the 'Rona, but i might have some other coronavirus infection...

figmentPez

Staff member

August 25th Texas reported 179 deaths from COVID-19. That means that Spain, France, Japan, Canada, UK, and Germany combined had fewer deaths than Texas (population 29 million).

Last edited: